Fat rear.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fat rear.

Hi everyone!!!
    I'm only new so please be gentle. I ride a 2002 Katana and am wondering what the pro's and con's are to fitting a wider rear tyre to my Kat???
    I have been told that by fitting a wider tyre will in fact make my Kat harder to corner. Is this true? If it's not true, then what is involved in doing this and what modifications will I have to make???

Didn't notice anything harder for me. I have a 160 which is the widest for the swing-arm.

Bike is sold

Comment

Changing tire sizes will slow your turn in but not by any significant amount. Like Spedee said you probably will not even notice. Now if you are on a pre98 and go to large 98+ front rim also then you would really notice a difference.

Make the change and if you notice it makes a difference to you then drop your front end a couple of mm's and you'll solve the problem. Really it is something you should do anyway, tire change or not just to improve handling.
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

I had a 160 on the rear of my KAT and it did not affect it hardly at all.

Oh and Welcome to KR!!!
        Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

HS2020 has a 160 on his pre98, and loves it.

Welcome to KR !

Comment

Welcome. I too plan in upgrading my rear to a 160!
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

going from 150 to a 160 makes a huge POSITIVE difference! go for it
              Hello World.

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders!!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

welcome and HS has the pre98 with a 98+ rim to make sure you don't put a 160 on the pre98 because the rim is thinner. Waltari is the one to speak with about a 180 on the rear and I think Frogger. I like the 160 for a stock wheel.
                  TDA Racing/Motorsports
                  1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                  Who knows what is next?
                  Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                  Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

For larger rear tires, 98+ rims normally can run 160s, some tire manufacturers produce 170s specifically design to fit on a 4.5" rim (but make sure the 170 is made for a 4.5" rim...NOT ALL 170 TIRES ARE CREATED EQUALLY!). Thats about the max on 98+ rear rims

pre98 s have 3."5 rims and run a 140 standard and can go up to a 150 on the stock 3.5" rim. You can however swap a 98+ rear rim to a pre98 by using the 98+ rim and brake rotor with the pre98 cush drive/sprocket/axle/spacers. This would allow you to run the above mentioned 98+ combos

I still have this 98+ rim combo for sale if any pre98 people want to moveup to a 4.5" rim. $150+shipping (usually runs about $35 for rim tire combos)

Beyond thse options, anything larger than a 4.5" rim requires MAJOR surgery...there are NO direct swingarm swaps unless you have one custom manufactured

Comment

You da man Waltari!!!!!
                      TDA Racing/Motorsports
                      1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                      Who knows what is next?
                      Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                      Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

look here!itīs a 180er tire on a bandit rim. looks very fat!
                        West of Germany
                        greetz Carsten

Comment

Originally posted by Blacktog
                          look here!itīs a 180er tire on a bandit rim. looks very fat!
                          http://photoalbum.powershot.de/fotos...02c93a8958.jpg
                          Is that actually on a katana??? If so I'd like to see other angles as well. I too "fit" a 180 on a cbr900rr rear rim into my stock kat swingarm but there is NO way in hell I could have operated it safely. There is about a paperclip worth of clear between the front right edge of the tire and the swingarm and rub would definitely be an issue on to mention there not really being enough space to also fit the brake caliper bracket and cush. If someone has actually figure out how to make it work, I'd be interested in the details.

Comment

yes it is a kat03!and it actually runs!itīs a friend of me! look here!here you can see the normal tire and the actually picture:

before

after

just a normal kat and kat-swing but a rim from a bandit!
                            West of Germany
                            greetz Carsten

Comment

Hey Blacktog...since he's a buddy of yours, can you do me a favor and get a couple more pictires of the front of the rim and swingarm and maybe a couple showing where the chain passes the tire. I'm interested in checking out his clearances. If you could help out, that'd be great!@

Comment

Working...
                              X