X

new owner old kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new owner old kat

ok not really a new owner. i have had the old beast 2 yrs this will be my third summer riding it. i live in saskatchewan and farm so my riding days are few and far between but i did put on 3000K last year hoping for the same or more this year.
    the beast is a '82 GS1100S katana. i finally got a workshop built early in the winter so i have been spending a fair amount of time with the old girl. she was in desperate need of a good cleaning and new exhaust. that and a new stator and regulator. and a new clutch bracket and tailight assembly. its not easy to find parts for a bike this old but thanks to rob wilton i got the bracket and the light. i took off the front brake lines, calipers and mastercylinder and took them to a shop in edmonton to have new lines made and the rest checked for reliablility. the new braided lines came back looking swanky and the callipers were good but the master cylinder was pitted and deemed "unfixable". anyone have an extra one laying around?
    the old exhaust was rotted and basically falling apart so i ordered one from vance and hines in california. the V&H is for the 1100E but i know it will fit and am hoping it arrives in the mail this week. i would like to put pods on but that won't be happening this winter maybe next. the bike has the air box and i assume the carbs from an 1100E but all my researching tells me that both these are the same as the katana's originals other than some cosmetics. i am gonna try a K&N air filter in the box this year with the airbox cover off. the main needle in the carbs has a circlip so it must have had a kit added sometime previously. i am hoping i can get it to run smooth but you can bet i'll be back here asking questions if i encounter problems.

nice to meet you all

Welcome to KR! I hope you find everything your looking for (im sure the members here can help you out).

Keep us updated on the progress!
    It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Welcome to KR. Now where are the pics of this beast? You should be able to find everything you need with the help of the KR members. Good luck.
      '06 600 Katana
      http://www.facebook.com/herb.wright
      Official Member of the I Own A 98+ But I Think Pre's Look Good Also Club

Originally posted by Kreylyn
      Okay.... Have you have figured out some way to make the bottom of your bike and the top of the bike closer together... maybe put it under a steam roller or something?

Comment

mcneilk, welcome to KR and good luck with your bike. Visit the Vintage Katana section of KR this should give you some help. A few members have some vintage Kats and I think mojoe has parts for some kind or another. Try sending him a pm.

Oh and somewhere I heard a saying that if you ate today, thank a farmer - so thank you!
        R.I.P. Marc

Comment

Welcome to KR

Remember, Caps Lock is Cruise Control for Cool

Comment

welcome to KR

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Comment

Welcome!
                "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
                JOHN 16:33

Comment

welcome to kr

sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR
                    Bike is sold

Comment

welcome

Comment

Welcome to KR mcneilk!!

Comment

welcome to KR from Tyler, TX

Comment

welcome to kr
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TheWrightKat
                              Welcome to KR. Now where are the pics of this beast? You should be able to find everything you need with the help of the KR members. Good luck.
                              here's a pic i took after the parts came back from the painter. just checked the valve clearence yesterday and changed the float valves. everything looks ok. will be putting the pipes on soon. -15C and a couple feet of snow so i don't have to rush just yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X