X

New Katana in Va. Bch.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Katana in Va. Bch.

Just traded in my VTX1800C on a 2006 750 Kat (Red/Silver). I have been riding cruisers for about 25 years. Sat on the Kat in the showroom yesterday and could not resist. I've noticed some people say "Katanas are great starter bikes". I would consider myself a subject matter expert on motorcycles, since I've been riding for a long time. The Katana is no starter bike. I've noticed that sport tourers and sport bikes take more skill to ride. More abrupt throttle - more response (yes, even more response than the 120lb ft of tree stump pulling torque from the VTX). This Katana is smooth and put together very well. As for the oil/air cooling - the plant has been around a long time with an excellent track record from a reliability standpoint. After 90 miles yesterday and some today - I can say I'm happy with the choice, although I do need to learn how to position myself better. I do have a little bit of a neck-ache this morning and I've noticed it's hard to control your body weight so that you don't put too much weight on your arms/wrists.

I also hear the first maintenance at 600 miles is rather pricey..... Oh well, that's what you get for having fun. But nowadays we have these message boards - they're great for getting advice and technical information.

As for me, I'm a retired Navy Senior Chief Electronics Technician now working as a Database Analyst in support of the Navy. I've owned two Yamaha 550 Maxims - four bangers - talk about a rocket! Well, at least they were rockets to me in the middle 80's. I rode the crap out of those two bikes and they were extremely reliable, except for constant chain adjustments needed (hope this is not the case with the Kat) I also had a Kawasaki 500 LTD. I've had the VTX1800C for the last three years and it was time for a change. Good to be here.

Mark
    2006 750 Red/Silver Kat.

welcome, enjoy your new toy

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

Hey there and welcome to Katriders. Great input about riding the Kat after your bike.
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders.
          Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul!!!
          Drop a knee,drop a gear, just don't drop the bike!!!!!

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders etcthorne.
            Glad to hear that you are enjoying your Kat..

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Welcome to the forum Mark
              Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

Welcome Mark,

give me a shout if you're ever looking for a fellow katrider to cruise with, i'm just across the bridge/tunnel in Hampton.

Comment

Working...
                X