X

Installing OEM decals tips needed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing OEM decals tips needed

Everybody seems to like no decals. I'm just the other way. I bought a new set of OEM decals for the right side and installed them yesterday. What a pain in the a** it was!
    Although it wasn't bad, I couldn't make it perfect. The top with the Katana word is not straight.
    I'm a perfectionist, so I'm going to spend other $120 on a new set and try to make it right this time.
    Anyone has done this before and can give me some tips on how to do it?

ensure the area you are applying to is clean and free of dust and grime - use a spray bottle and spray the area with water and place the decal in place where you want it - whilst the area is wet if it isnt perfect where you want it you should be able to push it in place - - using a dry cloth wipe the area dry - and using a credit card scrape over the decal outwards pushing out any water and air bubbles - this will leave the sticky bit of the decal able to stick to the fairing or area you stick it to - thats how i apply mine
    i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

Well I can't give you a definate answer to your problem because i'm "one of those" that doesn't have decals, but measure, measure, measure. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist, and I installed L.E.D. rear turn signals and of course i wanted them straight. These went on the rear fairings and not the license plate bracket, so I wanted them to look proportional and straight. I measured, used sharpie, marked the outline of the lights, went back, measured some more, stepped back, took a look at it from all angles, measured again, THEN i drilled the holes in the fairings after i was sure I had them where I wanted. Then took the plunge and peeled the wax backing, and stuck them on there. Needless to say, It is time consuming if you're not in a rush, but you need that time to be sure you have it right.
      Captain of Squad 11

Comment

Thats what I do to. Sometimes I use a little soap in the water very little. After you get it where you want and run over it with a credit card or bondo spreader let it sit and dry for the night at least.
        My first bike: 2001 Suzuki GSX-F

Comment

kenpachi....
          just reading that reminds me of a post on a kawasaki forum where a guy let his friend install - i think it was a tail tidy
          anyway this guy didnt mark out or look where he was drilling and went straight through the cdi ignitor - he posted this pic with a nut straight through the cdi - even bolted it down and not known - he was asking why his bike no longer would fire up since installing the tidy- hahahaha
          so yeah - do make sure and take the time
          i pitty the fool that dont ride oldskool

Comment

Well, this was my first time with decals and I did not use water at all . I should have asked before ruining the first set. My bad. I've already ordered the second set.
            I hope using water will make it easier. Thanks for the replies.

Comment

grease pensil lines for references
              and a drop of dish washing soap in the water spray bottle!!

the soapy water will allow a little slide time as long as you dont press the decals down first
              some guys will even spray the back of the decal depending on the size
              Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Working...
              X