How to fix up my Fairings? (pics)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fix up my Fairings? (pics)

Hey all.

So I pulled the kat out of storage last weekend with this nice weather we've been having. She's a 91 600 with Vance & Hines headers and exhaust mods done by a previous owner, although I just put the yoshimura exhaust on last year.

At the end of the last riding season, I slipped on some gravel and the bike went down (I was fine, bike was hardly moving). I shattered the right mirror and turn signal, and scraped up the fairings. Through the winter I put on a new mirror/turn signal, but you can really see the scratches on the fairings and I'm going to fix them up.

I am a total beginner when it comes to this stuff, and I'm hoping someone can talk me through it. So far from searching, I've heard to start with 200 grit sandpaper, sand the scratches smooth, then move on to finer grain sand paper, and eventually wet sand it. But thats about as much as I know.

What kind of paint do you guys use? Is there anything I should use to ge the paint to adhere better to the plastic?

Any help would be appriciated.

- Brandon

Can't tell for sure from the picture, but that doesn't look that bad. Have you tried buffing those spots? Might be able to get it nice enough without a full paint job.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Can't tell for sure from the picture, but that doesn't look that bad. Have you tried buffing those spots? Might be able to get it nice enough without a full paint job.
      Yeah the lighting wasn't the best when I took these pics, my apologies. They are definitely scapes in the fairings, not just surface scratches. Very rough if you run your finger across the area, so I think I'll have to definitely sand down to smooth it out.

Comment

Working...
      X