X

RAM Mount For GPS

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAM Mount For GPS

After raising my bars I decided to proceed forward with getting a GPS mount I can live with. I went ahead with drilling the steering stem nut and installing a 1" RAM ball.

I tightened the nut below with a socket by holding the ball mount with a pair of vise grips.

I bought a spring loaded RAM holder that allows me to put almost any GPS or phone on the mount, without changing any of the hardware.

I added a 12VDC marine power port between the USB ports so I can use the Garmin auto power cord that enables live traffic reception. It is spring loaded which is nice for two reasons - it keeps the socket clear and dry when not in use and it puts a bit of pressure on the power plug, helping to keep it firmly seated against all of the vibration and movement.

A short (25 miles) test run seems to confirm that it is going to work out nicely. I am planning a longer trip this weekend so I guess I will see...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by B-Man; 07-22-2016, 07:10 AM.
    2005 Katana 750

I've never seen one of those, but yours looks pretty cool.
    I assume you can also use that as a speedometer too.
    My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Thats a pretty neat mount you fabbed up there. I have a ram mount on my gixxer and it is a handy bugger. Kinda bulky but I like it alot. I just use the rubber plug since my stem is hollow instead of the nut like the kats.

Last edited by maniac1886; 07-21-2016, 07:07 PM.
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Yeah, I thought about getting a regular nut for the Kat and using the plug but it was easy enough to drill it and mount the ball to it. Of course, you have to use a 30mm deep socket to torque the nut with the ball mounted.

Originally posted by katanarider View Post
        I've never seen one of those, but yours looks pretty cool.
        I assume you can also use that as a speedometer too.
        Yep, if you want to you can. I bought a Speedo-Healer so my speedo is nice and accurate now.
        Last edited by B-Man; 07-21-2016, 07:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        2005 Katana 750

Comment

oh shit! I never even thought about that! Looks good though. Great work.
          My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I use a Walmart mini usb phone charger for my Garmin. I mounted a 12v power outlet in the "dash" on my Katana. The mount I use is the stock suction mount on the self adhesive disc that came with the Garmin. It's suck on the windscreen. (after it came unstuck due to the curve of the w/s I used rtv sealer to fill the gap) Works great.
            never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I use a U-Bolt RAM Mount from RAM Mounts, together with an extended arm so it ends up near the centre. With that I use the Garmin mount that I've hooked up to the battery. It works almost perfectly except at 100mp/h+ the screen can flicker a bit from the vibrations.

Comment

Working...
              X