• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ZukiFred
    replied

Leave a comment:

• loneraider
    replied
    You must like the new SS Brake Lines you installed! Any issues bleeding the brakes ? Which brake fluid dot 4?
    Ya pics would be great too/

Leave a comment:

• Kreylyn
    replied
    Originally posted by B-Man View Post
    Thought I would share some information and parts resources, just in case someone else wants to do the same project.

2005 Katana 750 - 2" Handlebar Raise

I bought a 12" long piece of 6061 aluminum round bar stock and cut four 2" spacers with a band saw. I used a drill press to drill a 3/8" hole down the center of each one.

I bought a clutch and dual throttle cable kit from VenhillUSA. I was absolutely stunned at how complete the kit was. Everything you need to make quality, custom length cables for your Kat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venhill-Univ...EczAvg&vxp=mtr

So I noticed that the factory cables have a rubber sleeve on them to protect them from abrading on the steering stem, frame rails, etc. I decided to simply cut the end off the factory cable and reuse all of the hardware I could, minus the longer housing and cable. I slid the factory sleeve over the new cable housing so it would be protected like the old one was and then went about routing them and measuring for length.

When I finished I ended up with proper length cables with no binding and routed like the originals were, save for the clutch cable which is now outside the carbs.

I bought new brake lines from Sixty61com. I called and had them add 2" in length. Knowing what I know now, the standard length lines would have worked just fine. The configuration I went with is what they call 2F, which is two lines at the master cylinder, each running directly to the calipers.

http://www.sixty61.com/product-p/cmblf021.htm

The lines are top quality and come with nice banjo bolts and copper crush washers for making everything seal up nice.

I bought the longer stem bolts from BoltDepot.com. With standard shipping, the 4 - 10mm x 1.5mm x 130mm Grade 12.9 socket head bolts and the 4 nylon insert Grade 10.9 nuts cost $16.

The choke cable was long enough as is, once I did a little re-routing.

Anyway, the whole project set me back about $200, but I needed to replace the brake lines so that really didn't count.

I took it for a test drive this afternoon and it is absolutely amazing how much of a difference it makes raising the bars just 2". I plan on doing a longer trip next weekend and I'll report back with the results, if anyone is curious.
    No pictures???!!!

Killing us man!

Seriously though, lots of pics and slightly more details would go a long way towards a "how to" as this is asked about a lot.

Krey

Leave a comment:

• B-Man
    started a topic So I Raised My Bars This Weekend...

So I Raised My Bars This Weekend...

Thought I would share some information and parts resources, just in case someone else wants to do the same project.

2005 Katana 750 - 2" Handlebar Raise

I bought a 12" long piece of 6061 aluminum round bar stock and cut four 2" spacers with a band saw. I used a drill press to drill a 3/8" hole down the center of each one.

I bought a clutch and dual throttle cable kit from VenhillUSA. I was absolutely stunned at how complete the kit was. Everything you need to make quality, custom length cables for your Kat.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venhill-Univ...EczAvg&vxp=mtr

So I noticed that the factory cables have a rubber sleeve on them to protect them from abrading on the steering stem, frame rails, etc. I decided to simply cut the end off the factory cable and reuse all of the hardware I could, minus the longer housing and cable. I slid the factory sleeve over the new cable housing so it would be protected like the old one was and then went about routing them and measuring for length.

When I finished I ended up with proper length cables with no binding and routed like the originals were, save for the clutch cable which is now outside the carbs.

I bought new brake lines from Sixty61com. I called and had them add 2" in length. Knowing what I know now, the standard length lines would have worked just fine. The configuration I went with is what they call 2F, which is two lines at the master cylinder, each running directly to the calipers.

http://www.sixty61.com/product-p/cmblf021.htm

The lines are top quality and come with nice banjo bolts and copper crush washers for making everything seal up nice.

I bought the longer stem bolts from BoltDepot.com. With standard shipping, the 4 - 10mm x 1.5mm x 130mm Grade 12.9 socket head bolts and the 4 nylon insert Grade 10.9 nuts cost $16.

The choke cable was long enough as is, once I did a little re-routing.

Anyway, the whole project set me back about $200, but I needed to replace the brake lines so that really didn't count.

I took it for a test drive this afternoon and it is absolutely amazing how much of a difference it makes raising the bars just 2". I plan on doing a longer trip next weekend and I'll report back with the results, if anyone is curious.
    Last edited by B-Man; 06-12-2016, 08:47 PM.
Working...
X