No announcement yet.
X

Higher Bars = easier miles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahh - ok. Good luck with the rebuild - would be great to see some pics when you get the bars done
    '99 Katana 750
    Day Job - Mechanical engineering Designer
    Passions: Professional musician / Project Recording Studio Owner / recording Engineer / mastering Engineer
    Katana rider

Comment

Originally posted by rschlegel View Post
      Hi everyone,
      I know you can find this all over but I would like to share this. I saw some of these mods done and I assumed what I started could be done without screwing things up. Drilling out the only threaded place to mount your stock clip-ons on a post Kat '98 did not sit well so I purchased a used upper triple from a local salvage for $35. If you decide to do this you do not need to buy a second upper triple, this works and I doubt you will want to go back to the original clip-ons.
      Shopping list
      1 Bikemaster Daytona Bend bars. $25.00
      2 7/8" handlebar clamps that bolt through the upper with enough length on the bolt to raise the clamp. I raised mine about 1 1/8" using stainless steel washers. I took the clamps off an old Honda at the salvage yard. $10.
      3 Longer brake lines. I switched to a two line steel braided setup. I had the lines made at 38" and they are a bit on the long side. 36" would have been better. I took in the old line to Pirtek to match up the angles of the fittings. $69.
      4 Box of stainless steel washers to shim with. $18.
      So for around $120 and some time. you can be riding in comfort.

Things to think about.
      Lots of shavings so remove your triple clamp to work on it.
      As long as your 7/8" clamps do not cover any of the hole that your fork comes up through your good.
      If you are going to remove the ignition switch to work on the triple clamp you will need a Torx 40 security bit to remove it.
      While your triple is off, re route your cables to the outside of the forks.
      The electrical wiring is ziptied to the bar for the faring ahead of the headset, remove this ziptie to allow full lock left and right without pulling on the wiring.
      You will need to drill the locating holes for your switches into your new bars so get your measurements from your old clip-ons.
      You can still use your old grips if they are in good shape. Use a thin long screwdriver with soap on it to work off the left grip and for reinstallation you can use fast drying hairspray. I have used hairspray for grips my whole life and have never had a grip come off unless I wanted it to. Your wife may look at you funny as you are walking off with her hair spray but wont be near as mad as when you took her Tupperware to the garage.
      This is perfection, thank you good sir.

Comment

Originally posted by Tgiby3 View Post
        This is perfection, thank you good sir.
        No problem,
        I still love the raised bars.
        I am probably going to have new throttle cables made. I have not had any problems with the stock ones.
        I have worked on the bike when I need to remove the bars and it is too difficult. I think this setup is putting them at the max length to safely work. The way I have it set up there are washers underneath the triple clamp. Washers could be moved from underneath the triple and placed above it to raise the bars 1/2" to 3/4" more than now. I would like about 1/2" more rise but the stock throttle cables are already maxed out.
        I am planning on having them made 2" longer than stock.

Comment

Got my bars mounted the other day:
          I have an extra pair of these risers if anybody interested.

1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
          V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
          Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Wow. That's a brilliant design!
            Originally posted by ZookRick View Post

2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
            2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
            1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
            1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
            1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Nice job and enough room to adjust the rebound still! You will like it.

Comment

How do you find this setup? I'm looking at doing the same but It looks a little unstable all in all. It looks like you've just adjusted for the extra space in there by using washers?

Originally posted by ZookRick View Post

Comment

Originally posted by knk View Post
                  How do you find this setup? I'm looking at doing the same but It looks a little unstable all in all. It looks like you've just adjusted for the extra space in there by using washers?
                  I have gone for rides the last few days and it feels great! No more sore neck and wrists
                  The bars are bolted down firmly, quite secure. There is only one washer underneath and one on top. They are at a good height and I didnt need to go higher.
                  1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
                  V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
                  Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

It's probably perfectly safe but I just don't think I'd be comfortable with that.

I might try and get a few pieces of 20mm steel, and drill them out in the same arrangement as the stock bars and mount risers to them also.

Comment

Machined spacers would look better but the washers work great. On my setup I did use nylock nuts. I do not get any movement from the bars. I thought about rubber mounting to lessen some vibes but I have never liked the feeling of rubber mounted bars.

Comment

Using Nylock nuts would make me rest a little easier.

I don't think the machined spacers will cost me much if I do the work myself.

That said, I'm going to measure everything up and get it quoted up and see which way I go.

Comment

I just added a set of risers to the triple tree, it didn't require a longer brake hose, although I did have to tilt the brake res slightly. I'll give an update later in June after I insure it. I also have a Corbin seat. Just sitting on the bike I feel less pressure on my neck and shoulders.
                          Always take the scenic route

Comment

Originally posted by bluelinewall View Post
                            I just added a set of risers to the triple tree, it didn't require a longer brake hose, although I did have to tilt the brake res slightly. I'll give an update later in June after I insure it. I also have a Corbin seat. Just sitting on the bike I feel less pressure on my neck and shoulders.
                            ? 600 or 750 and how much or a rise?
                            I LOVE my Corbin. So much better. Legs, back, and shoulders.
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                              ? 600 or 750 and how much or a rise?
                              I LOVE my Corbin. So much better. Legs, back, and shoulders.
                              I miss my Corbin seat. The Vstrom seat is not near as comfortable as the Corbin that was on my Kat. I had a line on one for the Vstrom but then my fridge stopped working and I had to spend the money on keeping food cold

Comment

Definitely saving up this season so I can raise my bars, get a corbin and get some stainless steel brake lines! I already have the larger windscreen on the bike. Will definitely make my 4+ hour treks a lot easier on my wrists.
                                Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
                                ~Author Unknown

Comment

Working...
                                X