X

Right thread? numb hands after ride

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right thread? numb hands after ride

not sure if this is the right/correct forum but... I have a post with stock original grips and the bar ends are missing ( thanks deekes) leather alpine gauntlets XL, after a ride my hands are numb/ tingly. I did a search and way too many options there. I dont have a death grip nor am i constantly doing a push up either. the gloves are snug and can move fingers ect. any suggestions as to why this is happening or doth i just get used to it?

Called riders cramp. I get it consistently in right hand. Not so much in left. Get a throttle rocket palm rest. I have one seems to work for most part. Some people more prone to it then others and is normal. From holding hand one position for periods of time. Sooooo get used to it!

Comment

Install the bar ends and grab the tank with your knees to hold your posture instead of your hands doing the work ...

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

The gloves maybe a touch too snug too. Try another looser fitting pair. Could be as simple as loosening the velcro strap over the wrist area if yours have one. Also occasionally release your grip on one hand and move your fingers to give them a rest and circulate some blood.
        2004 GSX750F

Comment

I used to get the same thing on my way to guitar gigs. Ever try to play the intro to Stairway not feeling your fingers? Someone on here, Cyberpoet probably, told me to lean back a little on my seat and take some of the weight off my wrists as I rode. It was an easy adjustment and it worked.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

i try to adj my riding posture and do wiggle my hand when the opportunity presents itself wasnt sure how much affect the bar ends had on things. as far as gloves go, i tried on every pair they had at the bike shop (a TON) and the pair that was perfect ended up being a mixed pair (1 l and 1 xl) didnt find that out till i got home. well those were discontinued and was offered the alipnes at a helluva good deal, now they seem really snug but do not really want to write off a $100 pair of gloves. do leather gloves stretch out over time with use ect?

Comment

The bar ends help to minimize vibrations and you would be wise to re-install them. I've never done it myself, but others on KR have filled their clip-ons with lead shot and silicone to further assist in helping keep the vibration down.
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

After riding for a few hours, when you take off your gloves to you see any spot's on the meat of your thumb where the gloves seams have left an imprint?

Could be the seam is applying just enough extra pressure on a nerve to make your hands go numb.
                Kyle

Comment

Lean jetting on the carbs can cause excessive vibration.

Might wanna look into that.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

How's the vibration in your bars? If you are experiencing a vibration in your hands it will cause your hands to go numb and after long exposure to this it does something to the blood flow in your hands and fingers. When my hands felt numb, i researched it a bit and the vibration in the bars can actually lead to a chronic problem. I'll see if i can find the link for you. It can lead to needing to have a hand or both hands amputated. I'll post the link shortly.

Ok i can't find the link while searching here on my phone. I know i saw it the other day cause my hands were doing the exact same thing. If and when i find it I'll post it. To my knowledge it said that when this happens for a long period of time it damages the nerve endings right in the lower palm area of you're hand at the top of your wrist. Like i said I'll find it and post it.

Ok finally found it. Its called Reynaud's syndrome or Reynaud's disease. Google it.
                    Last edited by thunderfoot1978; 07-04-2012, 08:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I have a pair of landscaper gloves with a padded palm. I also use a crampbuster and a throttle lock type cruise control.
                      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

I am new to riding and had this same question. I found I got a tingling in my fingers and palms after riding for a while, even with bar ends. There seem to be lots of accessory options that you can buy to reduce vibration in the handlebars. I found some tips (below) and have also been told to keep my wrists positioned low, which seems to help.

I think I am going to try replacing my grips and investing in some better gloves, too. Good luck! Let us know if you find anything that works well
                        Christine
                        Cambridge, Ontario, Canada

sigpic

Instead of telling someone who rides a motorcycle how dangerous it is -- LOOK TWICE before switching lanes, making turns, or pulling out of a drive way. Stay on your side of the road, especially in corners. Don't FOLLOW too closely; bikes can stop faster than cars can. Keep your eyes on the road and off your cell phones. If you care about someone who rides a motorcycle, please repost

Comment

Kats do vibrate. Suzuki put quite heavy bar end weights there for a reason - and some Kats even have weights under the foot pegs so your feet don't go numb! You need to reinstall the weights - that alone will make a huge difference. (I lost 1 of mine and replaced them both with lighter non genuine weights - definite negative difference.)

Then consider:
                          - softer grips
                          - comfy padded gloves
                          - a throttle lock
                          - correct posture - as mentioned earlier, this includes core strength and gripping the tank with your knees. You don't need much weight on your hands and you don't need to squeeze the grips too hard. Also vary your position so you are not locked in the one position for hours on the slab. On the slab, I slide back then forth on the seat every so often - this changes the pressure points on the butt, the angle of knees etc. and the angle of arms and wrists. I also change my wrist angle on the grips, occasionally re-gripping the throttle so I can maintain speed but with my wrist in a different position. Open and close fingers - you can ride with just palms on the grips. And ...
                          - practice. Build up your time in the saddle gradually.

Comment

I'm going to have come up with something for this myself. I know it's not a lean mixture anymore - it improved it quite a bit when I did rejet but I still can have issues on longer rides (> 1 hour)

I guess I'm going to try the lead shot or maybe buy a "bar snake" (http://www.barsnake.com/) -- I do not have the stock clip-ons but some aftermarket aluminum "motocross" style bar with 3" risers (installed by P.O. probably because they broke the OEM pieces).
                            Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
                            H. L. Mencken

Comment

thank you all for the suggestions and will definetaly look into new grips and putting bar ends back on. ive looked far and wide for appropriate ends and come up with a gazillion choices and none mention weight.

Comment

Working...
                              X