Low Cost Saddlebags

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zuma
    replied
    You may be onto something. There are summer days in Texas where the lizards have to carry sticks. I witnessed one lizard as he jumped onto the tailpipe of a Harley just to cool off. One time it got so hot that...

Leave a comment:

• il_ragazzo
    replied
    Georgia is a very humid place, more so than Texas and we all know central California is as dry as chalk.... That said, water is one of the most efficient ways to take heat from some thing. So what I'm trying to imply here is that the humidity (water in the air) being more concentrated in Georgia might be able to dissipate heat from the exhaust faster than it can in Ca or dryer parts of Tx. Just a hypothesis to the geographic location and exhaust temp differences.

Same idea with oil coolers in the mountains. less dense air cools a lot less than dense air. food for thought.

But still better safe than sorry.
    Last edited by il_ragazzo; 03-14-2012, 11:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• zuma
    replied
    Okay then. Maybe it's a geographic location thing. There are times when mine are too hot to touch when it hasn't even been running. Blame it on Texas heat, unless maybe you have Chewbaca legs. I have had the outside layer of fabric scorch on my Nelson-Riggs though.

Leave a comment:

• Assimve
    replied
    I have felt the stock can after a day long ride and it was hot, but nowhere near burning or even blistering. I am no stranger to exhaust burns, just never had any issues with the stock exhaust getting that hot.

Now the mid pipe, or even the lower portion of the exhaust can is a different story entirely.

Leave a comment:

• zuma
    replied
    Don't ever touch it or brush against it. It cooks.

Leave a comment:

• Assimve
    replied
    Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
    Don't wait until the bag melts... one of my bags got Close to touching the pipe and it melted the fabric and discolored the bottom near the burn.
    During the winter it may work out....but the ride during the warm spring day and you take the long way home, you will wish you had just solved the problem proactively. What's the chance you will get 2 good deals on good saddle bags?
    Ugh, thanks for the warning! I will raise it up then. I never even thought the can got that hot that far back.

Leave a comment:

• zuma
    replied
    This is true. Don't ask me how I know.

Leave a comment:

• il_ragazzo
    replied
    [quote ssimve;2170699]The bag pretty much rests on the pipe right now. It is adjustable to be a bit higher, and depending on how hot it gets I may raise it. If the bag just gets warm inside, then I don't care. I will have to test this later since I am working on my bike atm.

I do not think this would work because the bags are slant style. Turning them around would push the bottom of the bag over the pegs.[/quote]

Don't wait until the bag melts... one of my bags got Close to touching the pipe and it melted the fabric and discolored the bottom near the burn.
    During the winter it may work out....but the ride during the warm spring day and you take the long way home, you will wish you had just solved the problem proactively. What's the chance you will get 2 good deals on good saddle bags?

Leave a comment:

• Assimve
    replied
    Originally posted by davea7 View Post
    How close is the bag to the pipe? Looks pretty close in the picture.
    The bag pretty much rests on the pipe right now. It is adjustable to be a bit higher, and depending on how hot it gets I may raise it. If the bag just gets warm inside, then I don't care. I will have to test this later since I am working on my bike atm.

Originally posted by professa_riddler View Post
    Are you sure that the pegs are useless? I know that with some lugguage all you do is reverse the bags and it provides more peg space for a pass.
    I do not think this would work because the bags are slant style. Turning them around would push the bottom of the bag over the pegs.

Leave a comment:

• professa_riddler
    replied
    Are you sure that the pegs are useless? I know that with some lugguage all you do is reverse the bags and it provides more peg space for a pass.

Leave a comment:

• davea7
    replied
    How close is the bag to the pipe? Looks pretty close in the picture.

Leave a comment:

• chrisx2
    replied
    They do look nice. Can't beat that price.

I had some softies before I bought a used Givi set up. The softies I had scuffed up the plastics from the vibes and dust. But admittedly, I'd like to ride without the bags AND rack if I could occasionally, which is nice and easy from looking at yours. There may be other hardcase systems that use less hardware I suppose...

Leave a comment:

• ncj_23
    replied
    Those look awesome thanks for the post. I'm looking into them right now.

Leave a comment:

• il_ragazzo
    replied
    Good deal sir.

Leave a comment:

• black&blue
    replied
    For $50, I really can't knock them. They look great, but one of my key requirements was functional rear passenger foot pegs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X