Took my first long Ride

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dekay
    replied
    When I go on long trips, I like to stop about every 90 minutes or so to get off the bike and walk around for 5 minutes and stretch not only my legs but my arms and shoulders. It keeps the blood flowing through the joints and I don't get sore. It also gives me a chance to take a few pics.

Leave a comment:

• rome_rome
    replied
    grats on the first long ride, had mine 2 weeks ago, about 5 hours, boy was i sore! the way back was much easier, guess i was already use to it after 1 trip

Leave a comment:

• Enjay386
    replied
    Little ache does the body good, congrats on the ride.

Leave a comment:

• H-2 CHARLIE
    replied
    Getting old is hell ...try a 2 stroke for a few hours num city

Leave a comment:

• rexazz2
    replied
    Once I put the O ring in place on the throttle, I can ride for miles with out hands on the bars at all
    Hold the fuel tank and lean back helps my back
    A set of highway pegs would help the knee's though

Leave a comment:

• ceanern
    replied
    i think that is my issue I'm leaning really far forward when I'm riding and it is mainly on my right hand that i put most of my leaning on it seems. I banged up my left shoulder in a bad atv accident and I think i subconsciously favor that arm and don't put the pressure on that side.

Leave a comment:

• GSXF 600 Guy
    replied
    I as well get the numbness in my hand when taking a nice ride. I have losened my grip on the throttle, but it has only made it subside alittle. I have found tighteneing my legs against the tank seems to make the numbness go away (and i dont man to the point you feel your legs tense up or making it a huge "issue"), and then losen up my grip on the tank until I need to do it again. Also, watch your riding position. If your leaning into the bars to much it will cause your hands to have to much pressure on them causing the numbness.

I know i'm not the biggest Kat rider in here, but it helps for me...

Leave a comment:

• ICEG
    replied
    i went from kitchener to ottawa ......usually a 5-6 hour ride but i managed to do it in 4.5 hours
    and i didnt have any problems (although the memory foam under the lether seat really helps

Leave a comment:

• 40something
    replied
    Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
    LOL.....any more relaxed and I'd be curbside. I think it's a matter of (in my case) age, hockey injuries, and broken bones.
    Baseball, broken bones, knee surg, in my mid-40's now and general abuse to my body when younger. I understand your issues here. I made some mods to help my long distance on the Kat. Upgraded to the Corbin seat, raised the bars in inch, fabricated a set of removable hwy pegs (no they don't interfer with spirited riding in the twisty stuff) and replaced the windscreen with a taller Sport Touring height one (skip the Zero garvity and go with the MRA).

After these mods I am now able to go 14 hours in a day. Tired yes, hurting a little, but OK for the next day with no pain relievers. I use a throttle lock to give my wrist a break every once in a while.

Once you start touring on the bike it's like a you get bitten by a bug the itch never leaves.... Enjoy and congrats on your first longer ride.

Leave a comment:

• Slofuze
    replied
    Originally posted by the wind View Post
    might need to relax your grip.
    LOL.....any more relaxed and I'd be curbside. I think it's a matter of (in my case) age, hockey injuries, and broken bones.

Leave a comment:

• the wind
    replied
    Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
    My hands get numb after riding a bit......(an hour or two) on both the Kat and Yami. (it's the price we pay for inline 4's). The wrist-rest really helps and it's a lot cheaper than a locking cruise. Around town I simply arch it down so it doesn't interfere.
    might need to relax your grip.

Leave a comment:

• Slofuze
    replied
    My hands get numb after riding a bit......(an hour or two) on both the Kat and Yami. (it's the price we pay for inline 4's). The wrist-rest really helps and it's a lot cheaper than a locking cruise. Around town I simply arch it down so it doesn't interfere.

Leave a comment:

• ceanern
    replied
    i was thinking about the wrist rest the whole way back lmao. I think I did take some advil before leaving but didn't on the way back home. i definitely think that would help with my knees when riding they got stiff but as soon as I got off the bike they loosened right back up. do you get any vibration at highway speeds in your bars and foot pegs? I don't notice it when i ride to work just noticed it on my way down and on the way back that my hand started getting numb from it. and it started making my leg sore to

Leave a comment:

• Slofuze
    replied
    You may want to consider getting a wrist rest to attach to the throttle for those long highway miles. They're fairly cheap and work well.

Leave a comment:

• Nero
    replied
    Congrats! 12 hours is going to feel like a much longer haul.

Originally posted by CenCalKat View Post
    Ahhh...I remember those nice, easy 4 hour rides....

Congrats on making it through the trip.
    Yeah, you and Tom are Cali iron-butts!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X