Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hard cases on a pre 750..... Pics?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hard cases on a pre 750..... Pics?

    So I have ordered a 50 liter Shad topcase, and two 43 liter sidecases for my 750, and I was wondering if anyone has any photos of mounts for any type of hard cases? There are several good mounting points, and I already have a few ideas, but if anyone has some photos of a proven system, I would love to see them.

    I have a spare seat on the way that I plan to modify for touring, and in addition to the cases, I plan to fabricate a rack in place of the pass. seat to anchor my tent, sleeping bag, and probably some accomodation for an aux. fuel tank.

    I hope to have everything ready for my first moderate trip in mid August... Maybe a little earlier to go for a shakedown ride, and get the feel of the extra weight hanging off the bike.

  • #2
    Doesn't look like anyone has one.

    I could post up my Post Kat with Givi luggage but your not asking for that.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by squiggy View Post
      Doesn't look like anyone has one.

      I could post up my Post Kat with Givi luggage but your not asking for that.
      I did not really expect anyone to have anything, but decided to give it.

      This evening, I started to fab something up. I think I will eventualy bend/weld a propper mount, but this should work to figure out my placement, etc.

      I started with a spare seat shortened to the rear latch since it frees up tons of space for tool storage. From there I made a framework to mount the topcase, and bags.

      Here are a few photos of what I have so far......











      The whole thing is still in it's infancy..... I still need to add a few fasteners, cut some brackets/hooks, and enclose the area formerly occupied by the rear of the seat. And then if it all works well, start from scratch, and build something a little less Mickey Mouse looking.

      Comment


      • #4
        That Shad case looks nice.

        Are you using the Ryobi band saw to cut the metal pieces? If so how's it working? It seams those small bandsaws are designed to cut wood than metal. Something about the speed of the blade. It would be much cheaper than a real metal bandsaw.
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

        Comment


        • #5
          I was using the small bandsaw to cut lexan to enclose the area opened up by the seat modification. With the right blade it will cut thin aluminum if the guides are set just right. The larger aluminum bits were cut in a circular miter saw with a carbide tipped blade made for metal. For occasional use, the Ryobi is a nice versatile saw, I have a larger one, but I am lazy so I just carried this from my shop rather than walk back, and forth for every cut.

          My initial impression of the Shad case is good. I would say it is on par with the low end Givi cases, plus it was a blemished unit I got for a song on Ebay so I am very happy for the cost. I also bought two side cases, but UPS was not very kind to them. I wound up finding the soft Eclipse bags, and decided for now they will be fine. With a little luck, I will have time to fab up the remaining bits before the weekend so I can take them on a weekend trip.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by cas17013 View Post
            I was using the small bandsaw to cut lexan to enclose the area opened up by the seat modification. With the right blade it will cut thin aluminum if the guides are set just right. The larger aluminum bits were cut in a circular miter saw with a carbide tipped blade made for metal. For occasional use, the Ryobi is a nice versatile saw,
            I would be nice to have a small metal cutting bandsaw like that Ryobi for my projects that require cutting up to 3/16" thick aluminum.

            There's a dedicated metal bandsaw from MicroMark but right now it's too expensive.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

            Comment


            • #7
              With a little coolant, and the right blade setup you could use the Ryobi for 3/16. The problem is it will start to track wierd if your making a long cut.

              For what it's worth, I have a CNC router, a real metal bandsaw, and a plasma cutter, and I still use the Ryobi on occasion for the small freehand stuff.

              I would watch Craigslist.... I have seen the small bandsaws for as little as $40.00. Makes it cheap enough to try it, and resell if it does not work. The right blade is key.... I think the one I am running was bought online from Enco. The Vermont American blades they normaly sell at the home imporivement stores do not last very long, and once dull they are not accurate.

              Comment


              • #8
                I like what you have done so far. Keep us posted on the progress. As far as it looking Mickey Mouse I disagree. I think you have a foundation to finish this one up.
                If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by 40something View Post
                  I like what you have done so far. Keep us posted on the progress. As far as it looking Mickey Mouse I disagree. I think you have a foundation to finish this one up.
                  Thanks for the kind words. I was able to get some more hardware, and do a little more finishing this evening, and it will be strong, and functional..... Albeit a little on the ugly side. The up side is that when it is loaded you do not see it anyhow.

                  Hopefully in the next day, or two it will be trip ready so I can post some pics, and take a camping trip over the weekend.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by cas17013 View Post
                    I would watch Craigslist.... I have seen the small bandsaws for as little as $40.00. Makes it cheap enough to try it, and resell if it does not work.
                    I've seen them there as well and have thought exactly that too.

                    I've also considered making a variable speed control to regulate the speed of the blade.
                    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Sure looks like you're on the right track to me. Good work!
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Love the double T-track. What a great idea for concept development. The seat looks great, too. Only concern is that the top case looks HUGE! Especially hanging so far off the back of the bike. What's the weight (when it's loaded) going to do to your handling?
                        Wherever you go... There you are!

                        17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                          Love the double T-track. What a great idea for concept development. The seat looks great, too. Only concern is that the top case looks HUGE! Especially hanging so far off the back of the bike. What's the weight (when it's loaded) going to do to your handling?
                          My Givi 52 Liter top case hangs over the back of the bike past the passenger pillion. I have loaded this thinkg up to the max. Tent, air mattress, tire pump, air mattress pump, can of chain lube, first aid kit, some extra tools and a few other small odds and ends. Then took it on a six day trip along with all the stuff that was in my side cases. The load did effect handling a little but not enough to slow me down much. Only thing I had to watch was turn in was just a little quicker when the bike was loaded that heavy. Didn't take long to get used to it and was running the twisty stuff only about 5mph slower than when empty.

                          Hope this answers your question on the loaded/handling
                          If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by 40something View Post
                            My Givi 52 Liter top case hangs over the back of the bike past the passenger pillion.
                            I've have the same Givi E52 top case. There's even a newer, larger, top case from Givi, the E55.

                            It looks like your side cases are the E36 model. I had considered those but went with the E42s. I like the small seperate access door to get small items.
                            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                              I've have the same Givi E52 top case. There's even a newer, larger, top case from Givi, the E55.

                              It looks like your side cases are the E36 model. I had considered those but went with the E42s. I like the small seperate access door to get small items.

                              Yes mine are the 36 Liter side cases. Thought about the 42's but decided the 36's were large enough and I got a heck of deal on them due to the prior purchase of the top case.
                              If you enjoy the freedom to ride, if you enjoy the freedom to ride anywhere you want, Thank a US Military Vet. THANKS FOR SERVING!!!!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X