No announcement yet.
X

Poor mans Gel seat (pic intense no 56k)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor mans Gel seat (pic intense no 56k)

After riding my '86 Fazer down on the freeways of So Cal last month, I became painfuly aware that in order to ride much more than 250 miles/day 2up on the superslabs, I needed to do something to improve comfort for both rider and passenger. I decided the best option for long distance comfort would be to add gel inserts to the stock seat, then add about an inch of medium density foam over the top to get the increased cushion and help eliminate hot spots. I picked up 2 BMX Gel seat covers at Walmart for $9.95 each, and can of 3M spray adhesive for $9.99. I then went to a local upholstery shop and bought the foam padding for $4.50, and I still had enough vinyl sitting in the closet that was left over from when I did my Kat seat last summer, that would cost about $15.00 bringing the total cost to $49.39 .

As you can see the original seat did not have much padding

and was cracking from age

I started by removing all the staples from that were holding the factory cover on the seat using a flathead screwdriver and a pair of needlenose pliers.

Next I cut the BMX seat covers at the seams so I could remove the gel pads, then placed them on the seat and traced the outline with a pen. You can cut the gel pads with a pair of scissors to get the shape and size you want, without having to worry about anything leaking or making a mess.

After tracing, I set the pads to the side, and used a razor knife to trim away pockets in the factory foam, for the gel pads to sit in to. I tried to get the pads to sit as flush with the factory foam as possible, without spending too much time.

Once the pads were in it was time to use the 3M spray glue to cover the pads with the extra foam, to hold them in place. I also tried to trim the excess off around the edges following the original angle of the stock seat foam, to try keeping the seams smoother.

Then it was time to cut the new vinyl to size, using the original cover as a template. I like to cut the new pieces bigger than i need anyways, but with adding an extra inch of foam, I decided to cut about 3-4 inches wider than the original all the way around, just to make sure I had enough to make the stretch.

I start at the middle of the seat, and work my way to the rear first, carefully working out as many wrinkles as possible, then work my way forward. Use plenty of staples, and it helps immensly to have an extra set of hands to help hold the seat pan while your pulling the vinyl. I noticed the original cover was being cut on the back corner by the plastic seat pan, so I used a razor blade and split a piece of vacuum line and wrapped it over the edge of the plastic in that area to give it a smooth edge for the vinyl to wrap around, and hopefully keep the new cover from meeting the same fate as the original did.

I had to cut a small slit in the vinyl for the seat lock, then used a flathead screw driver to tuck it in around the lock.

The completed seat back on the bike in just over an hour.

Any small wrinkles in the vinyl will most likely work themselves out the first time the bike is parked out in the hot sun for any length of time, if not I might have to pull a couple staples and see if I can stretch them out carefully. But looks and feels much better than it did before I started. Now i just need some good weather, so I can get out and put some long day rides on it to see how much of an improvement it really is. Will report back when I do.
    Last edited by Psycho1; 04-04-2009, 12:28 AM.
    John,
    '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
    sigpic

Very nice. It looks 10 times more comfy. Good job.
    -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
    sigpic

Comment

good job sure the write-up will show people it is a simple thing to do
      so many roads so little time

Comment

Yeah I just figured since I was doing it and it was my 2nd time recovering a seat myself to save money, some people might appreciate it. I didn't need to add gel or any paddign to the front seat on my Kat when i did it, but I did add an extra 1/2" of foam to the rear seat, then on the back of the front set to level it out. Just adding the extra 1/2" on the back seat of the Kat added an extra 100 mile range to how long the wife is comfortable on it. Went from only being good for 200 miles, to good for 300 miles in a day.
        John,
        sigpic

Comment

Damn John, Nice job!
          THE DOC
          RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
          Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
          mistake when you make it again.
          sigpic

Comment

nice work man!
            sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
            k9 GSX-R 600
            GO VOLS!

Comment

Looks comfy. nice work
              'Not accidents! Crashes. Almost every crash can be prevented by avoiding distractions while driving.'

Comment

Good work. Looks like it will be much more comfortable. Did it affect the seat height much while you're sitting on the bike?

For anyone else trying this, you can also use an angle grinder to remove the foam and to shape the new foam. Just go slowly and carefully.
                Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                -Terence

Comment

Very nice!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by brooder View Post
                    Good work. Looks like it will be much more comfortable. Did it affect the seat height much while you're sitting on the bike?

For anyone else trying this, you can also use an angle grinder to remove the foam and to shape the new foam. Just go slowly and carefully.
                    Once my weight compresses the foam, it may have added an extra half inch to the seat height, but I can still flat foot it no problem since I have a 32" inseam. I think the wife will still be able to flat foot it as well (she's 5'7 1/2" tall). One advantage to the seat hight increasing slightly is it should take a slight bit of angle off my knees while riding, which might take some pressure off my knees on long rides too.
                    John,
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spraguepsycho1 View Post
                      Once my weight compresses the foam, it may have added an extra half inch to the seat height, but I can still flat foot it no problem since I have a 32" inseam. I think the wife will still be able to flat foot it as well (she's 5'7 1/2" tall). One advantage to the seat hight increasing slightly is it should take a slight bit of angle off my knees while riding, which might take some pressure off my knees on long rides too.
                      I've thought about that as well. With a 33" inseam, I always feel a little cramped. Need those rearsets as well.
                      Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
                      -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
                      -Terence

Comment

Can you feel the gel, even with the extra foam over it?
                        93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

Excellent. Very nicely done.

It makes me think I could have done it. A couple years back I rode my bike up to get a custom seat made for me. He did add more foam to the side of the seat for more butt support.
                          Last edited by squiggy; 04-04-2009, 02:07 PM.
                          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Good job, and nice bike too. I'm not a Yamaha fan but yours is nice.
                            Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
                            Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Originally posted by Steveb View Post
                              Can you feel the gel, even with the extra foam over it?
                              haven't ridden it yet since I did it, but sitting on it in the garage on the center stand, I guess the best way to describe it is you don't realy "feel" anything. The entire seat just feels a lot better now with better weight distribution.

Originally posted by Trackerrrr View Post
                              Good job, and nice bike too. I'm not a Yamaha fan but yours is nice.
                              Thanks, I'm not a huge fan of most Yamaha's either, but always liked the "musclebike" styling of the old Fazers and Vmax's.

Originally posted by squiggy View Post
                              Excellent. Very nicely done.

It makes me think I could have done it. A couple years back I rode my bike up to get a custom seat made for me. He did add more foam to the side of the seat for more butt support.
                              I thought about wrapping the foam all the way down the sides, but really the seat was already wide enough (wife and I both have fairly narrow bottoms lol), the problem was more the lack of padding on the hard plastic seat pans. There wasn't enough give to the stock foam, to allow contact with the full width of the seat. Even though the overall width of the top of the seat is now a half inch or so narrower than it was before, the softer cushion makes it feel like I'm speading my weight across a much larger area than before. The extra cushion between rider and tank may also be a huge improvement on hard braking when riding 2up lol.
                              Last edited by Psycho1; 04-04-2009, 02:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              John,
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X