X

Roadtrip to Memphis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadtrip to Memphis?

So I have about 5 weeks of vacation and I'd like to take at least one of them before I move on. I was thinking of going to Memphis, TN for a couple of days to try the BBQ and get some Blues in. I know that the BBQ events are in May. I don't have that long. I was thinking sometime in the next 2 weeks. what I would greatly appreciate would be any recommendations on this to see, try, or avoid. I'll be coming from Columbia, MO (N by NW of Memphis) which is about a 9 hour ride.

So any locals have any words of wisdom? Anyone in MO want to offer some info as well?

Thanks!

I know you said you don't have that long but I would highly recommend going down during one of the Memphis in May events. I have been down there for the music festival and it was a crazy good time.

Comment

In a perfect time frame I would schedule to go down in May. Problem is that if things go the way they are I will be moved to Europe in May. So basically I have a month to use up 5 weeks of vacation doing whatever I can come up with. And right now its Memphis or Chicago and I am not going to Chicago until it gets warm and dry.

Comment

Hey I live here in Memphis... but Im fairly new here... Moved here from Atlanta in September. But I can find out some stuff for you if you like. I know May is big for the music festival (which I am looking forward to myself!!) But if you need anything or more info .. let me know!! It would be great to meet another KR member!!! I promise.... I'll behave!!!
        With a hip hop the hippie to the hippie
        The hip hip a hop a you don't stop the rockin
        To the bang bang boogie
        Say up jump the boogie to the rhythm of the boogie the beat

Comment

I'm looking for things to see, things/places to eat, places to ride, and places to not get caught dead in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Wire View Post
            I'm looking for things to see, things/places to eat, places to ride, and places to not get caught dead in.
            Dude.... your not getting in my bed!!!!!
            To the bang bang boogie

Comment

Originally posted by rydethis View Post
              Dude.... your not getting in my bed!!!!!
              Ryde,
              You are just a mess!!
              This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
              BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

i grew up in memphis... i would def say...(if you like elvis) check out Graceland...its pretty cool...also the peabody place down town is awesome....check the events for the Pyramid downtown too, they usually have some pretty cool shows/games/events in there and you might be in town when something good is there.. there are some places down town area you might wanna stay out of tho..
                sigpicLife is 5% what happens to you, and 95% how you react to it
                k9 GSX-R 600
                GO VOLS!

Comment

A memeber named roose lives around here too!! I know on Wednesay nights it's bike night down by the river. Thursdays at Hueys and a Sonic... I don't know which one yet. If you are looking for places to ride... Midsouth riders meet up every Saturday at BP (I'll get the address for ya) to go ride. I haven't had the pleasure of riding with them yet... mr biggs is still under the weather!

Do you do any dualsport or trail riding? I can take you to plenty of places to get dirty... besides my bed
                  To the bang bang boogie

Comment

Hey Ryde...who is mr. biggs? If I may ask...

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
                      Hey Ryde...who is mr. biggs? If I may ask...
                      This is Mr. Biggs!! and my yami is lil momma!!!
                      To the bang bang boogie

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Wire View Post

Food:
                        The bottom line is that there are so many great BBQ joints here you can't really go wrong. There's no spot in the country that can cook a pig like we can. You aren't really missing anything at BBQ Fest unless you have a connection at a booth or two.

Here's a short list of some real winners:
                        -Central BBQ
                        -The Commissary (Germantown)
                        -Tom's BBQ
                        -Corky's (a little more commercial, but still good)
                        -Rendezvous isn't bad, but it's more hyped than anything

You should also try Soul Fish or Wolf River Cafe (Rossville) for some great Catfish while you're here

Things to do:
                        (Touristy)
                        - Civil Rights Museum
                        - Pink Palace Museum
                        - Mud Island
                        - Take in a Redbirds game or watch the Grizzlies get beat
                        - The Zoo is pretty good
                        - Go watch the duck march at Peabody
                        - Downtown (Firefighter museum, Beale St. The Peanut Shoppe)
                        - Brooks Museum of Art

(Non-touristy)
                        - Go to Shelby Farms
                        - Decent Municipal courses if you are a golfer
                        - Cooper Young
                        - ride, ride, ride

Places not to get caught dead in on a bike:

Orange Mound
                        Frayser
                        Whitehaven (it's not that bad really)
                        240 around rush hour
                        speeding in Collierville or Germantown
                        We have a special class of drivers who drive aggressively and don't really give 2 sh*ts about anything. They are highly trained on being complete d-bags so always keep your head up.

Places to ride:
                        - There's the Horizon gas station riders. 9 am Saturday at I40 and airline/new airline (out east)
                        - Definitely go to Shelby Forest (NOT Shelby Farms, this is very different). While you're out there stop at the Shelby Forest General Store and get a burger (kinda touristy) it's a neat spot.
                        - East Shelby County has some good riding. Mapquest Reed Hooker and go north
                        - 385 at about 5 or 6 in the AM on the weekends

Let me know if you need more food recommendations. I'm chock full of them.

And if you're planning on staying in a hotel good luck with not getting your bike stolen.
                        -93 GSX600F

-74 CT70 K3

Comment

Well Dayum!!! I could have used that info when I posted up earlier dammit!!! lol
                          To the bang bang boogie

Comment

I guess I know who to look for if I go to Memphis is May.
                            This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                            BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

IF!!!

Don't you mean WHEN!!!??? We are in the same state... we have to meet some time soon!!!
                              Last edited by rydethis; 03-25-2009, 04:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              To the bang bang boogie

Comment

Working...
                              X