X

First long road trip completed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First long road trip completed

I completed my first long road trip from Columbus, OH to Charlottle, NC last weekend, 1045 total miles in three days. I rode straight through on the way there only stopping for gas. It was great and I'm looking forward to the next one, maybe to Chicago, IL or Memphis, TN from Columbus.

After getting to Charlotte, my buddy and I drove his truck to Atlanta for a couple of days and then headed back to Charlotte. The ride up wasn't too bad but it was just getting used to my arse getting sore after about every 200 miles, but pretty uneventful. However on the way up I kept noticing a lot more bike traffic on the road near NC. Then I started noticing the exit signs like, Fancy Gap and Rocky Gap, etc. I then started to see groups of bikers getting off at these exits. Since I was on a time schedule, I told myself I'd see what all the hype was about on the return trip.

On the ride back, I got off at the Fancy Gap exit and went and filled up at a gas station. There were a few other bikers there and I just asked them if there was a place to ride a motorcycle on some nice routes up here and he said you came to the right place. The entrance to Blue Ridge Parkway was directly in front of me, so I filled up bought a cheap camera since my battery died and proceeded to hit the hills. I went about 50 miles in on one of the routes, I can't think of the name of it now to save my life. It was a pretty casual route with nice views and not too many twisties, but it worked great for me... and since it was about 1100 am in the morning on a Monday, there was minimum traffic! After taking some pics at some of the scenic overview areas, I jumped back on the highway and hauled arse all the way home. Funny thing is that my butt never got sore once on the ride home. I was tucked so low behind the wind screen, I never had to much weight on my butt!!

I talked to some other riders at the gas station before going up that were locals and they gave me their name and number and told me that the next time I come up that I could give them a call and they'd take me to all the cool routes and even put me up for the night if I needed it. I met several other good bikers on the routes I stopped and took some pictures at.
    Attached Files
    [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Congrats. I think Chicago would be an awesome road trip for your next one. Great pictures too!

Comment

Nice ride - but if you do decide on Chicago, do it before the weather changes - not called the windy city for nothing!
      2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
      2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Nice ride and nice Kat!! You couldn't pick a better part of the country to do some riding (except Cali ) I agree with diavolo - do Chicago soon or else you'll have no choice but do the Memphis ride.
        sigpic

Comment

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself. This was the first of many long journeys ahead, on the bike. Congrats!!
          2007 Honda CBR600rr
          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
          sigpic

Comment

very nice one! You might also want to consider getting a corbin seat thru CP before the next ride!
            sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Nothing beats a long road trip.

Comment

You'll have to let us know where those routes are at, looks great
                Die Living, rather than live dying

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
                  Nice ride - but if you do decide on Chicago, do it before the weather changes - not called the windy city for nothing!
                  That's right, but it's not what you're thinking!!

Comment

Great pics man. I havent taken any long trips on mine yet.. I'm looking forward to some next year when i get my leak issue resolved.. I might have to take it to the shop *shrug* .. But anyways great pics and great looking bike!!!!
                    sigpic

Comment

I live 20 minutes away from Chicago in Joliet, IL which is a pretty good town to visit too. Chicago is a great city and it never gets boring there no matter how many times you go there. The only crappy thing about IL is there are no real twisty roads or routes that are fun. The only one I know is taking route 6 through Channahon, Minooka, Morris, Seneca, and Marsailles.

Places I think you would really like is in KY and TN where I used to be stationed.

My favorite places to ride were Chattanooga, Land between the lakes(clarksville, TN), and Highway 13 off 101st Parkway and 365 I think it was.

I used to ride those all the time when I was stationed at Fort Campbell 3 months ago. Great curves, great roads, and good space for a newb then like me to get his feet wet.

Comment

sounds like u had a great trip. im planning a trip in the spring to arkansas supposed to b some great routes through the mountains if anybody has ever rode through arkansas and knows sum good routes let me know ive never been and im just goin by hear say

Comment

Working...
                        X