X

Anyone using a GPS?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using a GPS?

I'm going to be buying a GPS nav unit soon to use in my truck and on the Katana. I'm not set yet on any unit in particular but I would like something that is fairly compact but has at least a 3.5" screen so it's easily visible. I was curious if any of you guys had a gps mounted on your bike and what kind you're using and how you have it mounted up

2002 Katana 600
    1999 Ford F150

GPS

What cell phone provider do you have? sometimes this can be a very cheap alternative, and easier to mount!

Comment

I have AT&T but I don't think my phone supports gps

2002 Katana 600
      1999 Ford F150

Comment

If you've got Verizon - their Nav application on Get It Now capable phones is really good.
        GSX600F RIP 3/2006 - 6/9/2008

Comment

I've got the Garmin Zumo 550 mounted on my bike.

MP3 player built in. XM satelite radio if you buy the antenna and subscription. Bluetooth enabled. Comes with car mount and bike mount. Very easy to use, and fun to play with. Ignore the MSRP on the site, you can get it a lot cheaper if you look around. Totally waterproof so you don't have to worry about those sudden showers. Couldn't recommend it any higher, but all GPS's do pretty much the same thing, so you can't go wrong really.
          Some people are a lot like Slinkys.
          Not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Wire it to the bike so the battery doesn't run out 50 feet from the turn off to the treetops?
            -Steve

sigpic
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

now THAT is a really good tip
              Not really good for anything, but bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Comment

Pep Boys had a smoking deal, I think it was 150 and it was only for motorcycles.
                If something is hard its not worth doing
                1984 Can-Am ASE 250
                1989 Katana Race bike
                2001 Bandikat (bandit with kat swap)
                As the Project build continues

www.azkatriders.com

Comment

My Dad uses the Tom Tom on his bike. And what he does is turn if off when he doesn't need it...He keeps track of how many miles he's gone then turns it on again when getting close to the next turn and it saves his path so when he turns it back on it picks right back up again. It is pretty small and compact but easily visible. He loves it. My BF just got the Garmin for commuting back and forth to NYC but that is pretty big and bulky.

Comment

That Zumo looks awesome, but $1K??? Ouch
                    "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

Originally posted by jgmann67 View Post
                      That Zumo looks awesome, but $1K??? Ouch
                      That's why I said ignore the MSRP. You can get it for hundreds less on the net. If you are seriously looking take some time and do some surfing on different sites. Price is all over the place, and a good deal can be had.

Comment

I also use the Tom Tom, and used it recently on my trip from the UK to Germany. It worked great. I also extended my battery life by turning the unit off between turns; I was able to get the thing to last 8+ hours that way. By the way, since I didn't have any handlebar mounts, I used the windshield suction attachment and stuck it to my tachometer. It never moved at all.

Comment

I sure want one for the car....
                          This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                          BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Back from the dead... I might pick up one of the Zumo 450's. No bluetooth, XM or speech to text. I think I can live with that...
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I use a Delorme Earthmate PN-20 mounted with a Ram mount. The nice thing about the PN20 is it can be hand held its waterproof does marine,Topos street atlas plus it has Sat photos like google earth. It blows Garmin out of the water because I have one of them two now that just sits in the drawer.
                              You get softare with it so You can use your PC to program waypoints trips whatever into it. http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELi...minisite=10020
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X