No announcement yet.
X

animals and the road

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only thing that's gotten close is a hit I took to the throat on our ride on this past Sunday (9/30/07). I thought it was a bug, so I didn't really pay mind to it. (I think now it was a rock, but at 65MPH - it could have been ether, I guess...)

We pulled over so everyone can get a break, gas and etc and my GF and another rider came up to me to smoke and they both said "WTF is up with your neck?"

It's Wednesday and the swelling has gone down enough so I can swallow "normally" now. There's a knot there, but it's shrinking a lot now.
    GSX600F RIP 3/2006 - 6/9/2008

Comment

I had a German Shepard bite my ankle. Almost yanked me right off the bike. I was doing like 5-10mph on a back road and it came out of the woods. Damn thing put a hole in my work boot.

Comment

Had a few deer misses on the bike. nothing the shit your pants about though.

My sunfire though is the car of death. I'm pretty sure I've killed/hit every mamal native to canada with that thing. driving one night with the window down and my arm resting on the sill. had a deer run out and turn back, but I still clipped it with my mirror THAT scarred the crap out of me

Comment

Originally posted by the wind
          Originally posted by gytrdunkat
          This year I had a deer glaze my rear end, nothing happened though. That was exciting
          did you see him comming?
          Well, sort of, but not really. The forrest is about 20 feet from the road where this happened. I was going about 62mph. I saw him dart out, I swerved to the left lane (I know, your not supposed to, but it was a natural reaction), and felt the rear end bump. If you haven't ever seen deer running, they are pretty quick. By the time I reacted, he was already at the road.

Anyways, I thought I hit a rock or uneven road surface when I swerved. I got home, and there were deer hairs lodged inbetween the rear right signal and licence plate, and also some in between the rear brake light and left side plastics. That was earlier this year. Now that it's getting colder, they are running like crazy. I would say I avoid at least 1 deer a day on my 120 round trip commute. And that is a bit on the spry side, it's usually more.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

I ate a bird two weeks ago. It couldnt decide which side of the road it wanted to fly on and zigged instead of zagging. Went right over the front tire right in to the exhaust/ oilcooler. The Kat coughed out feathers never saw were the bird ended up but it didnt stay in the bike.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KansasKat
              and the occassional turtle
              Those friggin turtles just jump right outta nowhere eh!

Comment

Originally posted by koncsolt
                Okay, let's see; dogs, cats, squirrels, turtles, turkeys, geese, groundhogs, racoons, deer (lots and lots of deer), snakes, rabbits (lately, they seem to have a death wish), and one black bear, well Boo Boo really, you know a small one but still this is north central New Jersey! What gives?
                "What gives" is habitat distruction and encroachment by humans- urbal sprawl. Everybody wants a house in the country- even if the country is only a half-acre.

We should all move back to the city!
                "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

Armadillos are the worst! Hit one in Kansas...Like a trveling speed bump....

THE DOC
                  THE DOC
                  RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                  Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                  mistake when you make it again.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gytrdunkat
                    The forrest is about 20 feet from the road where this happened. I was going about 62mph. I saw him dart out, I swerved to the left lane (I know, your not supposed to, but it was a natural reaction),
                    thats what i was thinking about.if you see him you should accelerate towards him?

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                      Originally posted by KansasKat
                      and the occassional turtle
                      Those friggin turtles just jump right outta nowhere eh!

Actually ..... When I used to ride in the mornings after getting off work (3rd shift) , I used to see BIG-a$$ turtles in the road fairly often . And when they're just around the bend that's skirting a hill ....
                      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Last week I am riding out on the back country roads and it was getting to be Dusk. I am cruising at 55mph which is the speed limit. All of a sudden a deer bolts out of the woods 20 feet in front of me towards the middle of the road. I caught this in the corner of my eye and decided that if I try to stop this deer will be right in front of me and we will collide. So, I punch the throttle and just make it almost in front of the deer before she decides, oh crap motorcycle. She hit the hoofs and is trying to stop in her tracks on the asphalt, stumbling to catch her balance, as I fly right beside here, within 5 feet of each other. The whole time I remain calm and look straight ahead and pick my exit route. In the corner of my eye I see this huge doe eyeball staring at me with sheer terror as she thinks we are going to collide. If I didn't make the quick decision to punch it instead of stopping or if I looked at her, it would have been an ugly situation. I didn't get scared but a mile down the road I was thinking, "holy crap that was sooo close, someone was looking out for me".

Then the other night (5:30pm) I had a truck in front of me and a deer jumped out in front of him. He slammed on the brakes and didn't hit the deer. Meanwhile, I had backed way off. He goes by and I see two more deer ready to jump out after her. I slowed waaaay down to about 25mph in a 55mph zone. Ready and waiting. The deer jump out in front of me about 30 feet in front of my bike. I knew that was going to happen so I just tap the brakes and let them run by. Then, I go down the road about 10 minutes and turn around. I am heading back the other way again. Cruising about 50mph and I see this huge buck bound out in front of me. He was plenty far away though. Probably 75 yards away.

This is just this week. I am hesitant to ride my bike after about 4pm right now. The darn deer are gunning for me.
                        2007 Honda CBR600rr
                        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                        sigpic

Comment

I know of a local man here in ark. that hit a large deer on a r1 at 130+ and lived
                          HE DIDN'T EVEN CRASH

evidently, deer pop in half when you hit em at a buck fifty, but i bet all those guts in your face taste baaaaaad
                          89 kat 750 turned kat 1157
                          soon to be 89 GSX1157R
                          01 bandit 1200 motor
                          36mm cv carbs
                          89 gsxr750 "dot" head (coming soom)...**** ebay
                          89 gsxr750 cams (coming soon)...**** ebay
                          modded yosh exhaust
                          PPG Viper GTS blue
                          EBC HH pads F&R
                          Pirelli Diablo strada tires
                          shovel chopped (I didn't do it, but I gotta fix it)
                          ...and pods

Comment

I've never hit anything, thank God. Never really even come close... Only seen a couple of deer. Maybe Michigan has less wildlife or something.

Comment

I had a dog chase me after I took off from a stop sign, needless to say after a slight twist of the throttle he had no chance. Other than that, I had to swerve a few weeks ago to miss a large turtle in the road, I swear he cam outta nowhere....LOL
                              sigpic2006 KAT 750

"Ever wonder how some people have made it as far in life as they have?"

Comment

Working...
                              X