X

First cycle trip ever, can I do it?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First cycle trip ever, can I do it?

I am planning my first really long ride ever, to Ohio in about a month. Will be staying near the Dayton mall (grew up in W. Carrollton). Since my son lives there, I have made the trip from anderson sc, many, many times in a car/truck, but want to do something different for my midlife crysis. Am planning on 300 miles the first day, an hour at a time, stopping for a minimum of a half hour each stop. No rush getting there if it takes 15 hours, no problem. (I hate Ohio)
    I'm not a hugely experienced rider, having bought this as my first "real" bike in november, and taught myself to ride slowly, have 1200 miles on it so far, longest ride in a day was 150 miles, didnt feel too bad after, but my right hand got very tired. I feel capable of doing the drive, as long as the weather is good. The highway doesnt seem to bother me, as the secondary roads around here are the same speed, so am pretty used to it so far. Am installing some harris grips which may help with the vibration, also have some gel gloves. Hope the frequent breaks will help.
    Am going to take 1 days supplies in a tailbag, and mail other clothes to mothers house, so carrying things is not a problem.
    Main questions are: are there any particular "motorcycle friendly" hotels, places to eat etc, on the way? I'll be going up 40/75. I have noticed its hard to park on asphalt when its hot, need places that have concrete parking for bikes. I don't have big plans for theft protection etc., so is putting a locking cover on it enough for this kind of trip? Not worried about being picked on by the harley riders, (former renegade, and black belt), but would hate to come out of the hotel and not have a ride.
    Any other tips would be appreciated, particularly from someone who has made this ride. When I get up there, (after some rest) am going to ride a little with my son who has a cbr600, that should be fun. Thanks!
    "If I worry, will the future..change?"

I would say to you should choose hotels with ground level rooms. Insist on ground level rooms telling them you have some kind of condition. You can just roll your bike into your room. Bring something like a crushed soda can or larger to put under the sidestand so that it does not sink into the ground or carpet.

If you have not done so already, read Cyberpoet's Tips for the road

Roops Photography|facebook|
    03 GSXR 1000
    04 Honda Aquatrax Jetski
    Past: 92 Yamaha Seca II -> 04 Kat 600 -> 92 Kat w/gsxr 750 swap -> 01 GSXR 750 -> 03 GSXR 1000

Comment

Yeah that post is very helpful. Enjoy the ride, safely!

Comment

I took a long ride (MA to SC) my first year riding.
        I did 10 hours the first day and "felt" fine..
        (body wise) Got to Richmond VA.. I stopped often, for smokes and gas (you really get tired of gassing up!)
        And I can recommend this:

Plastic bags. Put everything in them and bring extras.
        Thermal undies.. Yes even in summer.
        Clear glasses. Sometimes the visor doesn't work at night.
        Bungees bungees bungees..
        I have stayed in 19.99/ night motels that were better than ones that cost 3X.
        I could park the bike right in front of the door. And truckers value quiet.

I like the idea of wheeling the bike in the room..

Comment

I couldn't do 300 miles without an auxiliary seat cushion. By 200 miles the stock seat has my @ss screaming.

Bring a tire patching kit and a way to air up a tire.

Comment

I would consider a cruise control of some type for that long ride. Check out the throttlemeister that HS just posted. It will cut down on the hand pain from having to hold the throttle the entire way.
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
            JOHN 16:33

Comment

just ride it straight thru all the way from point A to point B....no better way to get used to it than to do it
              I RIDE FOR A LIVING...WHAT ABOUT YOU??

Comment

Thanks dudes!

I appreciate all the advice, and will have a better trip because of it. This forum is awesome, its like access to a million miles of road experience! Also, just curious, how does the throttlemeister work, I see the Vista cruise is basically a clamp device, but couldnt tell from the pics how the throttlemeister does it. Thanks again!!

Comment

Throttlemeister is pricey. If you want cheap and effective get a throttle rocker II. It has a wide rubber band that goes around the grip and a plastic palm rest that velcro's on over it. Once you adjust it and get used to it you'll wonder how you rode without it. Don't get the one without velcro you see on the net - they won't stay in place. The velcro needs to be adjusted every once in a while, but well worth the money.

Here is the link to the ebay guy I got mine from. Best price I could find and shipped to my door in 3 days. $7.95 shipped

Comment

Get you a throttle rocker for $10 . Easy on , easy off . I have an older one , and it works fine if you adjust it right (takes a little messing with) and TIGHT .
                    Get you a plate for under your stand so it don't sink in the hot asphalt . Maybe $3 if you actually buy one at a bike shop .
                    300 miles ain't THAT far . Yeah , it'll take all freakin day if you stop every hour for 30 minutes . Just stop when you NEED to or for gas/food . Shouldn't take more than 6 hours to get there .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

That sounds good will try the Throttle rocker, and see how it does.
                      Also, anyone know the best way around Cinci? I have traveled through on 75 many times, and dont think it would be too fun on a bike.

Comment

How far "around" you wanna go ? I live about 35 miles south of Cincy . Depending on what time of day you go through .... It ain't real bad if you avoid rush hour and ballgame traffic . But if you come through during the rush ..... 275 is QUITE a detour . Secondary roads ..... well , and detour you take off of 75 through or around Ciny will add quite a few miles and time to your trip . You could TRY taking 275 until you get across the river either way , then look for a route that'll take you north and back towards 75 as soon as you clear the river .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

The VistaCruise is a good solution. In the past, I've used it from trips as long as Pheonix to Tampa in a straight shot.

The ThrottleMeisters do the same thing, but from the other end (the bar end rotates inward on a scroll-thread to hold the grip in place at a specific speed) -- the benefits over the Vista is only the look (clean) and the fact that you can get them as heavier-than-stock barends (reduces vibes). But they will set you back $$$ compared to the cheap Vista Cruise.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by acf1073
                            just ride it straight thru all the way from point A to point B....no better way to get used to it than to do it
                            to start a long trip i'll make lots of stops and stretch(if you do get sore it's better on the way back and once you get sore the only cure is rest.

Comment

I may try the Vista cruise, I like the idea of being able to take my hand off the bar, a lot of times Im laying on the tank anyways. And of course will make lots of stops. Got the Harris grips on, they help a little bit. Am making some longer rides now to build up to it, rode 150 the other day, it wasnt too bad, could have used a hot tub at the end of it though!

Comment

Working...
                              X