X

Bike Specific Touring Prep

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Specific Touring Prep

Not to be confused with packing, or planning prep....mods and bike mods only. Aim for long touring...say a month.

Engine
    --------------
    Different Oil? Extra Oil? Extra Filter? Iridiums? Definitely tuning...but tuning for leanness vs. rich?

Fairing
    --------------
    Quick release attachments? Retro reflection?

Tires
    ---------------
    Sport touring vs. Touring? Sending spares to destination? PSI for certain loads? How to repair tire vs. go for a replacement? Center stand for tire changes? Chain guard quick release?

Suspension
    --------------
    Softer than sport? for comfort?

Safey
    -------------
    Lights? GPS? Radio?

Comfort
    -------------
    Seat? (pre and post 98ers) Clipon suggestions?

Serious replies only please. And feel free to elaborate on one topic extensively rather than skimming all of them.

Thanks you bunch of jerks!

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
      Thanks you bunch of jerks!

You big 'tard. I thought you were talking about Bike ( ie: Kat ) Specific stuff

I'll give ya' mine but may not work for you.
      sigpic

Comment

Re: Bike Specific Touring Prep

Not to be confused with packing, or planning prep....mods and bike mods only. Aim for long touring...say a month.
        How many miles are you covering in that month? Let's say you do an average of 300 miles a day (many riders put in 600+, but then stay extra days at specific destinations where they barely ride).

Engine: Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, valve adjustments, plus a list of cycle shops and/or Suzuki dealers on your path. Depending on destination and time of year, 20w50 instead of 10w40.

Tires: A known good set of sports-touring, and arrangments for a replacement if you're covering enough distance to warrant a new set before you get back. A tire-plug kit & pump & pressure gauge is mandatory (but will be listed as underseat gear later).

Seat: Any improved seat. I use a Corbin, but RickMeyers, BillMeyers, Sergeant, etc. are also available. You want something that will support your upper thighs during hour-after-hour of cruising, and if you plan on having any passengers, make sure you look out for their comfort as well (nothing ruins a roadtrip faster than a crabby passenger who is uncomfortable).

Underseat kit: this is the biggie, because what's there needs to see you through any reasonable emergency, from a flat to an accident that left you able to walk away. Spare set of spark plugs, safety wire, leatherman tool or equivilent, fuses, electrical wire, zip ties in a variety of sizes, tire puncture kit, tools, rags, extra blinker/brake bulb, large-area-coverage (like 4"x5") bandaids, etc.
        Remember that the area just forward of the tail-light is also a storage area (I use that space for both some of my tools & the stock toolkit).

Luggage: this is a matter of debate and money. If you have enough money, you can debate whether to bother carrying any luggage, since you can buy what you need on the road. Top-rated in my book are the Givi hardbag system (leaves the rear seat open for other stuff) and/or the BBag soft-luggage system (uses the rear seat area, but holds a bit more than the Givi's). Both will hold more than 80 liters of stuff, which is enough to keep you on the road for a week or three before you have to do laundry.

BBag's SpeedPack:

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Awesome Marc! I'm going to use your post to expand with more questions....

How many miles are you covering in that month? Let's say you do an average of 300 miles a day (many riders put in 600+, but then stay extra days at specific destinations where they barely ride).

Lets go with about 300

Engine: Fumoto Oil Drain Valve, valve adjustments, plus a list of cycle shops and/or Suzuki dealers on your path. Depending on destination and time of year, 20w50 instead of 10w40.

Would an advancer have any advantages? (in mileage especially)

Tires: A known good set of sports-touring, and arrangements for a replacement if you're covering enough distance to warrant a new set before you get back. A tire-plug kit & pump & pressure gauge is mandatory (but will be listed as underseat gear later).

Ride at higher psi's?

Seat: Any improved seat. I use a Corbin, but RickMeyers, BillMeyers, Sergeant, etc. are also available. You want something that will support your upper thighs during hour-after-hour of cruising, and if you plan on having any passengers, make sure you look out for their comfort as well (nothing ruins a roadtrip faster than a crabby passenger who is uncomfortable).

Underseat kit: this is the biggie, because what's there needs to see you through any reasonable emergency, from a flat to an accident that left you able to walk away. Spare set of spark plugs, safety wire, leatherman tool or equivilent, fuses, electrical wire, zip ties in a variety of sizes, tire puncture kit, tools, rags, extra blinker/brake bulb, large-area-coverage (like 4"x5") bandaids, etc.
          Remember that the area just forward of the tail-light is also a storage area (I use that space for both some of my tools & the stock toolkit).

Luggage: this is a matter of debate and money. If you have enough money, you can debate whether to bother carrying any luggage, since you can buy what you need on the road. Top-rated in my book are the Givi hardbag system (leaves the rear seat open for other stuff) and/or the BBag soft-luggage system (uses the rear seat area, but holds a bit more than the Givi's). Both will hold more than 80 liters of stuff, which is enough to keep you on the road for a week or three before you have to do laundry.

Can you get a Givi Hard rear, and still leave room for a soft tail bag?

BBag's SpeedPack:

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet

Comment

Engine: Would an advancer have any advantages? (in mileage especially)
            Outside of really cold days (where it helps the engine come up to temp faster), no. Advanced timing does not change fuel-to-air ratio, nor does it change your cruising speed & wind-resistance, which are the basic factors that effect your gas mileage over long stretches at a solid speed. If you want better fuel mileage, drive slower (do 60 instead of 85 and your mileage will go way up; do 50 instead of 60 and you'll be blown away by how good your fuel mileage actually is).

You'd probably be best off with the bike as close to stock as you can manage (in terms of best fuel mileage). If you have an Ivan's kit, you might want to consider turning the pilot screws back to around 3-1/4 or 3-1/2 (instead of 4 turns out) simply for improved mileage, but unless you have a 90° carb screwdriver, that would be a bit of PIA.
            ($30 from MotionPro)

Ride at higher psi's?
            It depends what you're riding (curvy hairpin back roads vs interstate), but in general, yes, at higher PSI's to help the tires run cooler, which promotes longer tire life (also reduces the tendency to hydroplane in serious weather).

Can you get a Givi Hard rear, and still leave room for a soft tail bag?
            With the Givi side-mounts on the Kat, the rear seat is absolutely free and can be used for whatever you wish. At various times, I've hauled 50 lb bags of dog food, camping equipment, my other half, and an army duffel bag strapped down to the seat with the Givi bags in place.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Do they have one like this (maybe a generic one) that will fit a Pre 98?

Reason being, is that I already have side and rear soft luggage (sits on the rear seat), but I want to go even further with storage.

Comment

Do they have one like this (maybe a generic one) that will fit a Pre 98?
                Not from Givi -- their Katana mounts are a choice of side-mount or side+top mount, not just top-mount. I think JC Whitney has an universal make-it-fit-yourself kit like that for $70 or so (I remember someone posting up about it not that long ago).

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

You want generic , get a luggae rack ( I got a Renntech one for about $110) and mount one of the cheapy $60 or $70 JCW cases to it . That was my origional plan , and I MAY still do it yet one day ....
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Post The List!

Post The List!

"Fell in love with a woman unkind, smoked my stuff and drank all my wine..."

Comment

Thanks you bunch of Jerks!

Comment

I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                        X