Project Save the Old Kats -- '93 resuscitation

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Project Save the Old Kats -- '93 resuscitation

Hey Gang,

Thought I'd start a new thread on this. I got my plates and registration back from Vermont (doing the ol' register with Vermont to get around lost title trick), so I'm starting on the '83 Katana GS750 project. This will not be a "restore", because I just don't have the interest in trying to bring this back to stock. It's in too bad of shape; I'd start with a better one if I was doing that. My plan is to drastically clean this up, keeping the drag style, and making my own modifications as I wish.

First things first; clean everything and assess. My plan is to get that frame stripped down, look at the damage, fix it, strip off all unnecessary tabs, etc. and powder coat it back to stock color. Meanwhile, I'll be stripping that engine down to bare metal to figure out if I'm going to paint or polish or what. I'll need to deal with the mutilated wiring eventually... May buy a harness, but probably will just go through it carefully and repair it all.

I pulled the engine:

Some jerk drilled holes for rivets, will have to weld these up and clean it up:

Broken coil mount will need welding:

Here's the dirty, ugly, painted engine:

Last edited by versicat; 04-11-2017, 03:30 PM.

more pix:

massive tank dents:

mickey mouse boat starter button:

fried wiring:

mystery wiring:

misc auto supply store switches:

rusty fork tubes:

rusty welds:

Comment

Big project, best of luck
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
        Big project, best of luck
        Yeah... too big, perhaps. Well, I got the thing For $400, may end up being worth it, may not. Having fun tinkering though, so hard to lose doing what you love. This will never be a beauty perhaps. I think it will be a cool rat rod though!

20k on the clock, so not too many miles
        Last edited by versicat; 04-11-2017, 09:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

It's all about the money and the time to make it a real ride again. Mine wasn't near that bad but, there was less of it when I started. Then the mod bug bites and you kinda start over getting the bad parts out of the Kats character. Best of luck..
          Last edited by 92xjunker; 04-11-2017, 09:52 PM.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

hacked up tail:

Comment

That's quite a project.... should be fun, though.
              GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

More bodywork!:

Comment

Wow, plenty of fun work. I love doing projects like that. Lots of time and maybe money but the satisfaction is priceless.

A few years ago I took on a 1983 Honda CB1100F project...2 years later ...

Finished 1100F

Now a new project....1976 KZ900
                  79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

Thanks for the cool pix! Gives me a lot of hope and encouragement. Great job, btw, and that KZ looks like it'll be a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by sixdog View Post
                      Wow, plenty of fun work. I love doing projects like that. Lots of time and maybe money but the satisfaction is priceless.

A few years ago I took on a 1983 Honda CB1100F project...2 years later ...

Finished 1100F

Now a new project....1976 KZ900
                      LOL! talk about thread-crapping.... just kidding. The CB1100F looks great! Picked up a project CB900F, last fall. Not going as deep as you are, but giving it a freshening up, new paint, too.

Beginning:

New Paint

A couple if pics of how bad the fading was:

Getting there. Your cat will look as good as six-dog's 1100F, I'm sure.

Sorry to thread-crap, versicat!
                      GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

That 900F's silver is just outstanding!!!!!!!

Yea, I'm guilty with the thread jacking!
                        79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_dog View Post
                          LOL! talk about thread-crapping.... just kidding. The CB1100F looks great! Picked up a project CB900F, last fall. Not going as deep as you are, but giving it a freshening up, new paint, too.

Getting there. Your cat will look as good as six-dog's 1100F, I'm sure.

Sorry to thread-crap, versicat!
                          Wow, you guys do nice work. I hope I can get my bodywork looking that nice. My poor tank might be beyond rescue... Will have to try my hand at removing those dents per YouTube DIY's...

Comment

How's the inside of the tank?

Comment

Originally posted by sixdog View Post
                              How's the inside of the tank?
                              Amazingly nice. Rust-free.

Comment

Working...
                              X