X

Kat guage cluster help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kat guage cluster help

Has anyone attempted to replace the needles in the '82 gauge. My tach needed broke off.
    I have the cluster apart just not sure how to get the needles off. I tried prying them but I do not want to destroy the gauge.
    Any help would be appreciated. Matt

Hello Matt....there was a guy doing rebuilds of gauges but I can't find his info. It was a while ago but I will keep looking. I saw a 1000 katana with a little plastic sword glued to what was left of the original needle....interesting looking but he did it real sloppy.

I do keep my gauges covered while the bike isn't being used.
    79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

I use two teaspoons. One on either side and gently lever the needle out. Place the teaspoons under the round bit of the needle and not on the needle itself. Be gentle!!! It will pop off from the spindle...
      I have done this a few times without problems (famous last words!!!)
      Last edited by Mel Wainwright; 03-13-2017, 11:16 AM.
      MelWain

Comment

sixdog,
        Thanks

Mel,
        Does it look like the needles are held on with epoxy or just pressure fit?

Comment

Just a pressure fit. The needle is glued to the base and the base is pressed fit to the spindle
          MelWain

Comment

Thanks I'll give it a go

Comment

Matt, check this out....
              79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

sixdog, yes I have that but it does not go into needle removal.
                Thanks though.

Comment

Originally posted by sixdog View Post
                  I've read through that several times, but still afraid to take the gauges apart!
                  GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

I removed the bezel from one of my other gauges to test it and it is not fun. You have to bend the back portion of the bezel to release it from the white housing of the gauge. So before I take my good one apart I wanted to be a little more sure on the needle removal because I do not want to have the do this again.

Comment

I have done this many times. Be firm when you lever the needle off. Apply a steady pressure with both teaspoons and it will pop off.
                      Trust me!! What could possibly go wrong??
                      Let me know how you get on
                      MelWain

Comment

Working...
                      X