Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the wind
    replied
    Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
    Getting the engine out of the bucket was a painful experience and required two of us.
    sorry for your pain,but

Leave a comment:

• Smokinapankake
    replied
    I had my frame and engine sitting on jackstands, so to ge tthe motor out I needed something a little taller. Enter 1 square heavy plastic bucket (Like a laundry detergent bucket). I placed the signal generator cover in the bucket and lifted the frame off. Getting the engine out of the bucket was a painful experience and required two of us.

I'm wondering how I'm going to get it back into the frame when the time comes.

Leave a comment:

• spyug
    replied
    I agree that the frame off method is best and while I haven't done it, I've heard of another method using a 'come along" or chain fall. It does seem a bit fiddlier however as you attach the come along to a sturdy overhead beam with the other end to the engine. Undo the bolts, take tension on the engine and pull the frame to one side. I think you'd need a second set of hands for that one.

While the tire can create a bit of instability when the bike is first laid over I found it a good way for the engine to be "captured" and held when the frame is lifted off.The engine block usually slips into the center hole with the head resting on the rubber. I don't know if it was mentioned but its always best with this method to remove the fork and front wheel and the back wheel and swingarm as it lightens things up considerably.

Either way, with or without this method is likely still the easiest and safest.

Let us know how you do it and good luck with it.

Cheers,
    Spyug
    Last edited by spyug; 12-17-2009, 12:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mojoe
    replied
    done it many times when parting out bikes. I just lay down some cardboard with an old blanket, lean the bike over on it's side, remove bolts, then lift the frame off the engine. I did try it with a tire once, but found it did not lay the bike flat and everything was kinda wobbly and and at a bad angle....so now I just lay it flat on the floor.

anyhoo, regardless of what you put under it, it will always be easier to remove the frame from the engine than vice verse. the frame weighs maybe 20% of what the engine weighs. in other words, forget about trying to remove the engine from the frame with it on the kickstand. you are just asking for "trouble" that way as it can easily fall over or roll ahead...then fall over. I wouldn't try it that way even if I had an extra set of hands.

Leave a comment:

• spyug
    replied
    I haven't done it with a Kat or any 4 cyl bikes but I did it with my XS650 twin and my Virago V-twin and that's how I did it. I put down a car tire (without a rim) laid the bike on that, pulled all the bolts and lifted the frame off. I've done it myself with the twins but I'd recommend getting a second set of hands for the Kat, that engine is heavy and awkward.

However you do it be careful.

Cheers,
    Spyug

Leave a comment:

• cans
    started a topic taking the engine out of my kat

taking the engine out of my kat

Hey forum people,
    Got a small question about getting the engine out of my 82 Katana.I see that most people lean the bike on the right side of the engine block,undo the engine bolts and lift the frame up.

Is that the best way to do it??
    Any tips or ideas would be great!
    Thanks in advance.
Working...
X