X

Battery keeps losing electrolyte

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery keeps losing electrolyte

After a full summer of reliability, the battery in my 82 Kat has now died twice after only sitting a couple of weeks each time. The first time, I pulled out the battery and noticed a few of the cells were dry. I refilled it with distilled water and charged it up on the workbench before reinstalling it. The bike ran great for a month and then I parked it again 2 weeks ago after a long 7 hour ride. I tried to start it tonight and it would barely crank even though the lights were all on bright. I pulled it out again and guess what... dry again.

So where is my electrolyte going? Is the bike overcharging and boiling it off? Should I continue with this battery or just buy a new one. Hate to do that just before winter storage.
    1980 GS1100E, 2002 748S, 2010 ZX14, 2013 Bonneville T-100

Dave

Last time I had a battery doing that, it was overcharging. I dunno if that is the only explanation though.
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

If the battery is old the chemicals get all wacking and dont mix right so the water tends to evaporate off faster. Id put a volt meter of the battery when the bike is running though, just to make sure you arent overcharging it.
      Last edited by HemiKat; 10-07-2009, 09:10 PM.
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

If your cell(s) is completely dry then the acid is gone and no amount of filling that cell(s) will help any longer. Replace the battery.
        Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
        Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1fKzw05Q5A&feature=related"]YouTube - Idiocracy Brawndo's Got Electrolytes[/ame]
          Sex Panther cologne -- 60% of the time, it works every time

Comment

I got my Kat Sept. 08 ... battery was low (low acid levels) I filled it back up with acid I got out of old batteries. kept it charged over winter with a battery maintainer (1.5) I had no problems all summer, till about two or three weeks ago (started getting chilly nights) it wouldn't crank fast enough to start the bike (low levels again). I filled it back up (with acid from the old batteries). and it's holding charge again. I know I need to replace it, but I got laid off in May so that really wasn't an option. I did get the whole season out of it and it is still holding a charge. Make sure you use some kind of trickle charger. When charging it, to fast of a charge will cook the battery. I believe 2.0 or lower is best. Walmart has a nice 1.5 battery maintainer for just under $20.00 Aslo I know people say you should use distilled water. Well, I've never had any luck with that. And some say to buy new acid, but that worries me because the battery is getting bad and pushing out the acid, then it's running down over my bike and not good.

Comment

Originally posted by cybrnathan View Post
              YouTube - Idiocracy Brawndo's Got Electrolytes
              Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the thread title. Just add Brawndo!

Comment

Once a cell goes dry that is the kiss of death. Not to say I havent run one dry and kept using it for a season or two. But if the cell runs even low the plates can fuse and then you lose power.

Comment

You can actually buy battery acid from the store. There was a thread about this very recently.
                  I invite you to church.

Comment

Hi.
                    See this:
                    Questions, answers and posts pertaining to electrical mods and problems

My old battery boiled and did not work with new acid.
                    I bought a bottle at the local car accessories shop. And then I bought a new battery.

Best regards
                    Klaus

Comment

I have a 1900 1100 and the same thing has happened many times over the years, I find the cells are low, I fill them with distilled water, charge it and all seems good BUT on two occasions I shut off the bike when I got to where I was going and went to start it the battery was dead. The bike would start with a jump but when I shut it off the battery was dead once more. This happend with all brands of batteries. I did notice the exhaust would burn my eyes before the battery would die and after it was jumped.

Comment

Working...
                      X