Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awesome work Katman1260 shes beautiful

tagged for future reference

Comment

• OK, after a full season of ripping it up on the carbs and having so much fun riding and not wrenching, I am in the mood for a turbo. As soon as the weather turns I will be hard at it installing the turbo, replacing the old square headlight with some sort of projector setup and fabbing some sort of custom fairing so they look good.

Sure has been nice just riding for a while. Did a 7.5 hr ride around the province few weeks ago. Fantastic ride through the mountains, out in the middle of nowhere enjoying the fruits of my labor.

If you are interested, check back probably in Nov after the Christmas toy run I will be posting back on this thread.

have been tweaking here and there, new grips, mirrors, levers and such. You can check out lots of pics on my facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8491932&type=3

Last edited by katman1260; 09-15-2012, 09:36 PM.
      Kat Parts Clearance Selling Everything

Comment

• Nice bike man, nice bike!

Comment

• Originally posted by katman1260 View Post
          OK, after a full season of ripping it up on the carbs and having so much fun riding and not wrenching, I am in the mood for a turbo. As soon as the weather turns I will be hard at it installing the turbo, replacing the old square headlight with some sort of projector setup and fabbing some sort of custom fairing so they look good.

Sure has been nice just riding for a while. Did a 7.5 hr ride around the province few weeks ago. Fantastic ride through the mountains, out in the middle of nowhere enjoying the fruits of my labor.

If you are interested, check back probably in Nov after the Christmas toy run I will be posting back on this thread.

have been tweaking here and there, new grips, mirrors, levers and such. You can check out lots of pics on my facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...8491932&type=3

Love how it looks man, would love to have one myself

Comment

• well, now that I have found a killer stainless steel pipe, factory fit for the katana, I am mounting a turbo and won't be using it. Sounds better, and performs better than my V&H, Figures.

Last edited by katman1260; 09-27-2012, 12:02 AM.

Comment

• turbo katana

Well, I am installing that turbo I have been puting off. I checked the pressure today to see what my idle and 4k readings were with the top end oiler and oil cooler installed.

factory says 1.6psi @ 1,200 rpm and between 5-6psi @ 3k for my '83 1100. Mine is running 2.5psi @ 1,200 rpm and 13psi @ 4k. Plenty good enough for a N/A motor. However, I need to get to .5 bar or 8psi @ idle and 2 bar or 30 psi @ 3k. How do I do that?

Some very smart turbo guys sent me a diagram to build a restrictor that threads into the oil sensor plate in place of the oil sensor. It restricts (whereby increasing) the pressure. the turbo will run a feed from that tap. And, here is the restrictor.

My, didn't that work nicely. I now have 7psi @ 1,500 rpm as taken from the right side oil gallery at the base of #4 cylinder. Tomorrow I will check pressure directly from the restrictor and if it is not enough, I will decrease the passages just a little more.
              Here is a vid of the pressure before the restrictor. This restrictor is a prototype. It will be crafted once the specs are where I want them.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Did a retest today.

Oil temp: 105 C, 10w/40

With restrictor installed, no turbo, pressure deadended to gauge from oil sensor plate:
                3psi @ idle (1,300)
                17psi @ 4k
                23psi @ 5k

Right Side gallery @ base of cylinder 4:
                1.5psi @ idle

No restrictor: [ame]http://youtu.be/Ns4XRTDE2L8[/ame]

This shows idle pressures between the r/s gallery and main gallery with restrictor. I am told my goal is 8psi @ idle for this journal bearing IHI. [ame]http://youtu.be/JyV7AGSX4Aw[/ame]
                I have a 9mm feed from the sensor plate to the turbo, and a 4.75mm feed to the the rest of the engine. Others are running this engine with a 4mm feed to crank and head. I guess I will reduce the 4.75mm to 3.5mm and see what that does and adjust as needed.

OK, I flumixed my original attempt at the restrictor. I may not have posted that here but, I buggered up the threads enough not to be able to use the restrictor perminently but they are good enough for testing. I thought, Hmm, I don't want to keep making these things with different hole sizes so I turned it into a two piece press fit unit. Now I only have to make one part if the hole sizes are not right. When I have the correct sizes, I will make a nice purty one.
                Now, I was told to make a 9mm main feed hole and a 4mm cross hole to feed the engine. But, correct me if I am wrong, IF the engine feed restriction is 4mm and the turbo feed line is AN-4 (4.25ish mm) then the main feed diameter doesn't have to be 9mm. As long as it is at least 4.25mm it makes no difference?? yes?? Because all the other diameters are smaller.
                Moving on, I remade the restrictor with a 3.5mm feed for the engine and head, and shrunk the main feed hole diameter to 5.5mm. As seen in the pics. I will test these sizes tomorrow and measure the pressure differences.

Last edited by katman1260; 09-29-2012, 01:50 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• god this is an insanely high-level custom job you've done, man. love it to death.
                  My signature is dancing bacon Your argument is invalid.

Originally posted by TRPUT
                  Someone who can eloquently give it when deserved ... and expect to take it when deserved. You Sir win the chicken strip wanger comparison hands down.

Comment

• turbo oil pressure

Did some more testing today. Reduced the oil restrictor to 5.5mm main feed diameter. This feeds the turbo and leads to the 3.5mm feed holes for the engine. It's these holes that influence the pressure. The video is up on my youtube channel.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RLiwAnBRks"]Katana Turbo Restrictor version 5 - YouTube[/ame]

Now I will make the final restrictor as I have the correct specs. Note that these numbers are the result of stock oil pump gears in this 1100. I will be installing hi-flow oil pump gears which will raise the pressure a few more points.

I will have a straight fitting out the top of the restrictor. AN-4 male to a NPT male thread. This will allow me to tighten the restrictor down as well as give me a point to attach the "T" fitting so I can run the turbo feed and as well as an oil pressure gauge to monitor the oil pressure to the turbo.
                    The restrictor fit into my top end oiler distribution block which is where the old oil pressure switch use to live.

If anyone is interested, they can follow more detail on my blog http://blog.suzuki-katana.com
                    Last edited by katman1260; 09-29-2012, 11:35 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

• Great mod can't wait to see it complete. Are you going to put it on a dyno?
                      2002 750 Kat
                      2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                      1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                      2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

• Suzuki Katana turbo oil restrictor

Originally posted by dano68 View Post
                        Great mod can't wait to see it complete. Are you going to put it on a dyno?
                        Yes sir, will be getting dyno numbers for sure.

I finnished the restrictor today and have achieved the desired oil pressure increase. From 1.5psi @ idle to better than 8psi, and from 5/6psi @ higher rpm to 30+ psi. The turbo will now be happy. I am sure a few of the gaskets or O'rings may complain though.
                        The restrictor replaces the oil pressure sensor and captures the oil coming from the pump by sliding into the boss below it. My old Ward Performance top end oilling kit used an O'ring to seal that boss and capture the oil. This feeds directly to the turbo. There is a cross feed in the restrictor that feeds the head and crank, at a higher pressure than stock which is also good.
                        I am going to be making a deep dish (no not pizza) oil surge well and move the pick ups to the rear. They will draw the oil from the deeper well to prevent the all too familiar air sucking at agressive throttle. More on that at a later date.
                        The pics show a single line for the turbo but I will be running a "T" with one side going to the pressure gauge and one to the turbo. I will be using this for a gauge this week to monitor pressure in a real world environment.
                        I may miss some posts here and there on here but you can always pick up more details on my blog. http://blog.suzuki-katana.com

Comment

• katana turbo oil pressure

Well, thought I was done, but I am not.
                          Went for a pound today with the new restrictor in and a pressure gauge. @ Oil temp of 107C, idle (1,500 rpm) was 17 to 18 psi. @ 2krpm, pressure rose to 30psi. I thought that was a little high so I opened up the cross feed hole in the restrictor by 0.030". Idle has now dropped to 7-8 psi and 30 psi is reached by 3krpm. This was @ 106C temp. I was surprised at the substantial idle drop considering that I was at this level with 2 x 4mm holes. It is late here now so I will do some more in the daylight tomorrow. I also have to get a gauge that reads over 30psi so I can see what this is putting out @ higher rpm.
                          The stock gears run 1.5psi @ about 1200 rpm and max about 6psi @ 4k. I am running stock oil pump gears at this point so I expect the pressure to rise somewhat when I install the hi-flow gears and change the oil. This oil is old. If anyone out there has any pressure range numbers for an old GS1100 that would be appreciated. I was shooting for 10psi @ 1,200 rpm when hot.
                          Id doesn't seem to be a problem getting the needed pressure above 2krpm. I have to run a test tomorrow with the right side oil gallery and see what the crank and head are seeing now for pressure. First I have to get a 100psi gauge.
                          I will have to juggle things abit. Here is a video for those interested in the cold, warm, hot pressure drops. From idle to 2krpm I am seeing almost a 10psi drop in pressure. I am sure it is more @ higher rpms but my gauge won't allow me to push it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWt1DaOUnws&feature=plcp"]pressure pressure - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• Problems,
                            Went for a rip today, pegged the oil pressure gauge at 100psi. Idle is 7psi. That is quite a range from stock: 1.5psi to 6psi. God some work to do. Oh yeh, my new Earl's oil cooler relieved itself all over the front of my bike. Dont forget to visit the first gen katana facebook group, 500 members worldwide.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UqN4eTPO-k&feature=plcp"]too much pressure - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

• I pulled off my oil cooler and my top end oiler. I have read debates on whether these things drop oil pressure do to the increased area that the pump has to push oil up. It is too late tonight to do the tests to will get to it tomorrow. I ran the pressures today with them connected. 1500 and 3000 rpms. I will post the results tomorrow night. I am measureing the main gallery oil pressure sensor location as well as the right side oil gallery at the base of cylinder 4.

Comment

• The right pressure has been a real problem but I found a nice bit of kit that regluates oil pressure. It utilizesa bypass and relief valve. I have done some initial testing and it is working well. I am sure I can dial it in even better as the company 'RACELINE Oil Pumps" is working with me to find a solution.

Not only is this piece of kit small but it is cnc machined, anodized and race ready. A perfect fit for my SHOW & GO and anyone elses machine. This means the turbo is a go again, and I don't have to worry about pressure spikes or high oil pressure killing my katana.

I have it hooked up from the oil pressure switch area that the restrictor is now occupying, then pass through to the turbo (in this case the gauge) and over pressure is released via the dump hose. In the pic that is going temperarily into the clutch cover as that was the convenient fittings to hook into for testing.

The unit comes with 3 selectable spring tensions for pressure variation plus, there is an adjusting screw to increase or decrease spring tension further adding to adjustablity. The low pressure spring limited my pressure at about 2.5 bar or about 35psi. Tomorrow I will move up to the medium spring and try to dial it in at about 60psi.

Once I have had some more time with this I will get more detailed with the results.

and I forgot to post the results of the oil pressure comparison. Also, for those who wonder, my oil temp has gone up about 15 degrees C. without the cooler.

Last edited by katman1260; 10-16-2012, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X