Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Katana Pop-Up (Restoring)

But having trouble finding parts!

I am sure most of you are familar with the bike:

Well mine is in a worse state of repair. But not for long! I got it running finally the other today, after a good carb cleaning.

Its not much to look at yet, but I will make this my daily driver for this summer. I have restored bikes before but never one that was so hard to find parts for.

I have accumulated some shots and info from the net, although not much, and even a picture of a fellow rider on his Pop-Up from this site.

It was never brought into the states in 84-86 so most online sites deny its existence. Even being from Canada, my local dealers use US software for parts, so they also are unable to get parts for it.

I refuse to believe that everything has been discontinued. Some parts obviously but others ,for example the gas cap, cross over to other models such as the GSX 750.

Where do you guys find parts?

Thanks,

Steve

Looks like www.bikescreen.com might be able to make me a custom windshield. They have nearly every other windscreen ever made.

Steve

Comment

Found some decals!

Under Decals, Suzuki, 1986 GS750S

Steve
      Last edited by BV1; 06-16-2009, 12:54 AM.

Comment

You're going to love that bike. I got back into biking with an '83 gsx750es a few years ago and was crazy about it. Enjoy!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I know thanks!

I did the same in 06 coming back with an 82 Seca Turbo I completely restored. I then rode it across Canada, end to end. Had a blast! Everywhere I went, "I remember those bikes!" or "Is that really a turbo?"

In 07 I did the same on a V-strom 650... Just wasn't the same as the classics. But it was a great bike.

In 08 I tried the ST1300... still missed the classics.

For 09 its.... "Thats it! Back to the 80's" for me! I can't wait to get this thing fully restored. I got the Rustoleam for the gas tank, but I havn't bought the "plastic coating" (Kreem) yet. I have heard mixed reviews.

That 83 GSX looks hot!

Steve
          Last edited by BV1; 06-16-2009, 01:11 AM.

Comment

my dad, kingofvenus on here, has an 83 gs750es that same color scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by BV1 View Post
              I got the Rustoleam for the gas tank, but I havn't bought the "plastic coating" (Kreem) yet. I have heard mixed reviews.
              Kreem is not 100% gas impervious, it's only partially resistant to gas.

Kreem WILL break down after a few years. The resulting mess will cause all kinds of issues, including sending globs of it into the carbs. I would strongly advise against using kreem.

Check out this thread to see a picture of the inside of a tank that was kreemed a few years previously....

Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.

Por-15 is a good coating to use. It will never break down or disolve in the gas. If you follow the prep directions, you will end up with a tank that will last longer than you...

and nice looking ride btw... can't wait to see the finished product.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Contact Rob Wilton in Vancouver, he may have what you need or will know where to find it.

Cool bike!
                1980 GS1100E, 2002 748S, 2010 ZX14, 2013 Bonneville T-100

Dave

Comment

You guys are amazing! I am honored to be part of such a close knit community. Thanks for your help, looks like Rob can lend a hand, and that write-up on the gas tank electrolisys, was simply amazing.

Thanks!

Steve

Comment

Will you people with the older Kat's please stop. You are teasing the crap out of me. I WANT ONE!

Comment

Glad to help, Steve!

Originally posted by Kfreak View Post
                      Will you people with the older Kat's please stop. You are teasing the crap out of me. I WANT ONE!
                      Sorry, I can't hear you with my helmet on and Yosh pipe barking!

Last edited by exc911ence; 06-17-2009, 05:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                      1980 GS1100E, 2002 748S, 2010 ZX14, 2013 Bonneville T-100

Dave

Comment

Looks nice, I am hoping to get some pipes for my bike, but no idea where to start yet. I want something that sounds a bit meaner...

This is what this evenings work consisted of:

From

to

Unfortunetly ran into this:

Which I didnt notice when I bought... So the front rim will have to be repaired.

Soon to come gas tank electrolysis, followed by: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POR-1...motiveQ5fTools

If thats the right stuff....

Steve
                        Last edited by BV1; 06-18-2009, 09:49 AM.

Comment

That is indeed the correct stuff..

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Steve,
                            Good luck with the bike, found this site posted by Jody @ Katana Central not sure if it's been posted here before. Also it's for an 84, but as the 84 & 85 were pop ups it might help

Check this website; the beauty is that you can click on the part number and it will show a list of other models that particular part was used on.

http://www.cmsnl.com/suzuki-gsx750-1984 ... partslist/

Comment

Thank you, the first time I have been able to find any fiche for this bike!

Comment

Working...
                              X