1985 Katana Pop-Up (Restoring)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nice when stock better when modded

Comment

Tastefully Going all silver for the plastics, got the factory decal kit, adding a few extras here and there but nothing crazy and keeping it as original as possible.

Comment

Steve,

A while back you asked me where I got the Katana stickers on the sides of my 84 pop up - They were on the bike when I got it, but I've gotten them in the past from Bike Bandit, look under 82 1000SZ fiche, they go on the side panels.

And the photo of my 82 up in the mountains was taken about 15 minutes from my home. Old Snowbasin Road (takes you to Snowbasin ski resort) is the funnest road I've ever ridden on a motorcycle.

Comment

hmm...haven't been in here for a while, so I missed this post.

I have two of the pop-ups.

this is one of them. the other was painted a dark charcoal gray.
          As far as exhaust....I never checked the fitment from an 1100 to the 750, but I have a stainless 4:1 system that is taking up space in my garage.
          As for parts, I have gotten a few things off of bikebandit. the last thing was the plastic license plate housing that has the license plate light in it. I was surprised at how cheap it was. there are still quite a few parts you can get for it.

I have one of these as well. I had another one the same thing and that is what that ss exhaust came off of.

Last edited by Mojoe; 07-06-2009, 09:31 AM.
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Nice bikes! I found your pop-up picture elsewhere in another thread before, looks nice!

We need to talk about the exhaust. Send you a PM.

Bike is almost ready. Parts are coming back from powder coating, and paint. Valves are done, compression is good, carbs are clean, tires are new, tanks been POR'd.

Pics soon...

Steve

Comment

Got my plastics back today, valve cover yesterday.

Took it for a ride with an old fuel cell... The carbs need work. Especially with those pod filters. Two cylinders are running good, two are running cold. More cleaning is in store I think.

By Tuesday it will look very different
              Last edited by BV1; 07-10-2009, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Hey that's looking great.

Giving me a lot of inspiration for my popup build which is looking pretty damn sad at the moment.

Do you have any ideas on replacement mirrors for the pop-up?

Comment

I ordered some online from www.cmsnl.com they seem to think they can get them. I havn't got them... yet.

Steve

Comment

Okay. I had a bit of a look - couldn't find any for GSX750S Katana. A lot of parts for the GS750/GSX750 which the Kat shares a heap of parts for but I'm struggling to find the parts.

Besides, with a conversion rate of $2.40 for each Euro the price is scary, especially when you consider shipping to the closest country in the world to Antarctica.

I reckon I'll look for something similar.

Comment

The bike is on there, micro fiche and all. ALSO I got the owners manual and service manual scanned in, if you need a copy.

The link to the bike on that site, is a few pages back.

Steve

Comment

Yeah, I had a decent look and finally found it. Yeeha!!

Comment

my goodness Steve! Its comming along beautifuly!!!! Keep it up your doing a great job!!!
                          Joker
                          The newest addition to the Family!
                          sigpic
                          stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Thanks guys! Its almost done, all painted and looks good.

Two problems though!!!

1) 2nd gear is pooping into a false neautral on the last two test drives. (NOooooo) IT only has 10,000 km!!? Geez.
                            2) Neutral light stopped working at the same time... hmm...

(and 3.... I bought a GS1150E.... noooooooooo )

I am still giving her on this project though...

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by BV1 View Post
                              Thanks guys! Its almost done, all painted and looks good.

Two problems though!!!

1) 2nd gear is pooping into a false neautral on the last two test drives. (NOooooo) IT only has 10,000 km!!? Geez.
                              2) Neutral light stopped working at the same time... hmm...

Steve
                              My 1985 Katana in 1985 used to pop in and out of gears as well with the same km as your bike. This turned out to be bent shift forks in the tranny. Usually caused by lots of racing and shifting without a clutch.
                              Keep in touch and register with the classic Katana club. Ted has lots of parts and a few connections as well. He is also doing a group buy for the Euro signal lights on the front fairing.

Comment

Originally posted by rureddy View Post
                                My 1985 Katana in 1985 used to pop in and out of gears as well with the same km as your bike. This turned out to be bent shift forks in the tranny. Usually caused by lots of racing and shifting without a clutch.
                                Keep in touch and register with the classic Katana club. Ted has lots of parts and a few connections as well. He is also doing a group buy for the Euro signal lights on the front fairing.

You got a link for that classic Katana club dude?

I'm in need of some replacement parts and I'm dead keen to find out if they're one-offs or if another Suzuki shares the parts with the popup Kat.

Specifically:

1. mirrors
                                2. windscreen
                                3. brake lever (I'm damn sure its the same as others).
                                4. front fender & fork brace.

If I can't find a windscreen and mirrors at a decent price I'm looking at Plan B, which is to put bar mounts and Renthal bars on it.
                                Last edited by riffer; 07-26-2009, 02:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X