Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

I'm not even sure that this qualifies as a Kat!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not even sure that this qualifies as a Kat!

Can someone tell me if this 1982 Suzuki GS 550M is considered a Katana? I love the look of this bike, and it's a blast to ride ( when it runs), But i was just curious. Obviously this isn't the real bike, but it was the best pic I could find online. Only mine isn't that horrific orange color. It's all black ( Previous owner repainted it )
    Attached Files

To bad he painted it. That is one of the best factory colors on a non-faired bike..

And yes it is called a Katana in this configuration..

Comment

I always thought they where a sharp looking bike..

What part of N.H. you in?
      I was raised in Laconia myself.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
        I always thought they where a sharp looking bike..
        I think Suzi had the styling in the 80's..

What part of N.H. you in?
        I was raised in Laconia myself.
        Kancamagus Highway!!

Comment

yep thats the kat alright ! looks closer to what the kat should be.. imho the original 1100's owned everything.. to bad they strayed from that to the slowest bike on the market and now even down to a scooter..

Comment

I had an '83 GSX750ES three years ago that got me back onto motorcycles. It would flat haul. I sold it seven months later for a more dependable Marauder. I still wish I'd kept it. Its styling inspired me to get the Ninja I'm riding now. Pipes on both sides of the bike really strike a match in me.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

I'm from Hudson. Originally from Merrimack. And thanks for the help. I love this old bike. And I need parts for it too. Many parts!

Comment

Keep the bike if you can maintain it...be careful though. Mine was 23 years old and I never hesitated to hit 115 and better on it. I'm not sure I'd do that on a 23 year old bike these days.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

The answer is no. technically, that isn't a katana. suzuki is all f'ked up when it comes to the katana. they seem to just toss the name around randomly. some bikes get the lable, and some don't. some that should be called a kat, aren't....and some that are, shouldn't.

this is a 1982 GSX 1100E

now this is your bike. see the similarities? it is labled as the GS550M

This is an 82 1100, 1000 and 750 katana, respectively. the 1100 and 750 are GSX models, but the 1000 is a GS. Don't ask me why. I have no definate answer.

Then they go and toss this in as a katana. don't know 'bout you guys, but looks a lot more similar the GSX1100E than it does to any katana.

So, as I said.....suzuki seemed to just toss the name out there randomly once in a while, so I have come to the conclusion that more often than not, it was a marketing ploy. being biased as I am, because of owning a few vintage kats, I will find any excuse to not call that bike a kat. My excuse this time will be that it was likely called a kat in the north american market only....much like the current kats are now. in europe they are simply a gsx-f 600 or 750. And I guess as someone mentioned....even naming scooters as such.

But it doesn't take away from the fact that they are nice bikes. I admire all the early 80's suzukis....for the most part. That 750 is a nice bike, Zuma. I really like those models. there are a couple for sale around here, but they are asking like $2k for them.
                  I picked this one up just today, but it is red/black and has the full fairings. I got it for $300. The guy just had the top end done. new rings, planed the head and did the cylinders. Should have seen his face when I mentioned it would be ripped apart for the parts.

EDIT: I just checked on the vintage katana club of NA site, and I was right about the North American....or USA market calling it a katana. This site has all the info.
                  Last edited by Mojoe; 03-22-2009, 08:30 PM.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Mojoe fyi the 1100 was badged a gsx everywhere but the US as far as i'm aware gs being 8 valve & gsx being 16 valve

Theres also a few others badged differently in the us the most noteble being the gs1150 (US) gsx1100 ef, efe, eff etc etc everywhere else & confusingly with an actual cc of 1135 (16 valve)

Just my opinoin while we're on the subject but only the original target design bike really deserves the katana name

tone
                    Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post

Just my opinoin while we're on the subject but only the original target design bike really deserves the katana name

tone
                      I agree 100%
                      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Target all the way .. darn right ..
                        .." I have a heart condition. If you hit me, it's murder." .. Withnail & I.

Comment

I'd day no. Neither is the new GSX600F in my opinion. But maybe I'm bitter?

Comment

or like GSX1400... it's just called GSX1400

sigpic
                            2008 GSX-650F / 1990 GSX-600F sold facebook

Comment

Originally posted by JasonChen View Post
                              or like GSX1400... it's just called GSX1400

I bet that thing zips pretty good tho
                              Joker
                              The newest addition to the Family!
                              sigpic
                              stop by the garage for a better look!