No announcement yet.
X

92 750 Build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I wouldn't say he is anti fighter... more anti pile-o-crap.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

• Finally someone who didn't just take off the plastics and mount a different headlight and call it a 'streetfighter'.

I saw the pic in your avatar as I was working through the thread and thought that was the finished bike, and that red belly pan was not working for me at all. Glad you painted it. My only gripe now is that the mesh looks out of place with the sheet metal, but whatever that bike looks sick none the less.

Also, you are riding in January, so I am REALLY jealous.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm riding now. Of course it's not as cold down here as it is up there.

I had planned on a red belly and powdercoating the front rim to match along with other little parts here and there. But after a while with the red belly, I decided to abandon that idea. I actually like the white alot better, its alot cleaner almost classy look.

Comment

• New parts come today for my next major mod. Rear end is from an 06 GSXR and the shock is a Busa's. It will probably be a month or 2 before I actually put it under the bike though. Need to get the rim powder coated white and the swingarm black.

And before I can do that I need to figure out just what I will do about the shock. The Busa shock is going to have a clearance issue with the under tail I just made. And I'm not about to re-do all of that. My R6 shock will fix that but its rez is going have a clearance issue with the swingarm. So, I don't know just yet what I am going to do.

Anyways some pictures

Last edited by 92GSX750; 01-17-2012, 09:55 PM.

Comment

• Keep up the good work! I really enjoy following this build!

Comment

• I had considered one of these SA but ended up with the busa cheaper. Looking forward to seeing you overcome the obstacles you have brother.
              1992- project katfighter
              2005- GSXR750
              2001- TL1000R
              http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
              www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
              KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

• Progress has been slow lately. Had to order a few parts and was waiting on them to get here. Now that they are here, I can start moving forward.

While I was waiting I went ahead and put the rear end up next to the bike to get an idea of the final look. I was pleasantly suprised that the angles of the swingarm match that of the sub frame. Its a little off, but once my 200lb *** is on the bike it should be perfect. Hows that for luck

This shot shows the part I most look forward to. The rear wheel will be moved approximately 4" forward.

Stripped the paint off the swingarm and made some temp bushings. Once I get the rear tire centered, I'll make the final ones. In this picture the swingarm is in the mockup frame along with the Busa shock.

I have ruled out the Busa shock. It's just too long. So I ordered another R6 shock to use for mockup. Here is a top view showing roughly where I am going to have clearance issues.

And a side shot.This isn't exactly where I was thinking I would have problems. But it may work out better like this

This week I will be making some neck cones and JIG-ing up the frame so I can accurately center the rear rim. Chain alignment isn't looking to good either, but I wont know how bad it is till the swingarm is centered. This newer GSXR rim has the sproket mounted about 1/4" farther away from the center of the rim, than my current GSXR rim. At this point its safe to say that the carier will need to be milled down some.

Comment

• Wow bro... this is hands down the most fantastic build I've ever seen.

I just started mine... but I'm inspired to keep it going!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Thanks bud

Comment

• Looking good...............see you've going to be busy for a while
                      Toys.........
                      1985 LT250 - modified
                      1991 GSX750F - Doner for Bobber project
                      2004 GSXR 1000 - stockish
                      2000 Turbo Busa - very modified - now sold

Comment

• Got some parts made this week. The neck cones are machined from some 2 1/2" solid bar and threaded for 3/4"x16 rod. I took my time making them as one day, I hope I can build a tube frame. Anyways, here is a picture of one of the cones

And the whole assembly

And here it is mounted in the neck of the mockup frame

Next up I made some locators for the pivot point. Right now they just hold the frame in a fixed position at ride height, but once I finish with them they will be kept for a jig. Took some 1 1/2" DOM scrap I had and turned the ends down to fit the pivot holes. The other parts are just some 1"x2"x1/8" tube I had laying around.

Tacking everything together for final welds

Once the welding was done, I cut it apart and now have these

Here the frame is fixed into position at ride height and re-strung. Hopefully by the end of the week I will have the final spacers made and can move onto modding that swingarm. The lighting in the pictures is horrible because all my florescent tubes are burnt out. Should have that fixed by next round of pictures

Comment

• New bushings are made and in the swingarm. I wish I could take credit but I paid an actual machine shop to make these. I just dont have access to good enough equipment to get the tolerances I wanted. Pictured, the 2 left bushings are whats stock and the 2 on the right are the new ones. One bushing is .120" thicker and the other is .185" thicker. So the swingarm sits approximately .065" to the left to center the rear wheel.

I am sending the carrier ( cush drive ) off to GSXFJim to be milled down 5mm and bumping the rear tooth count up 3 more teeth. I snapped another picture of the rear shock. Unfortunately the situation with that has gotten a little worse. To run this shock I will have to recess into the side of the swingarm 1/2". Not too sure about that one so I'm still exploring options for that

I was thinking about using an 06 gsxr 600 shock, but it might give me the same issue as the busa shock and be too long. Going to try and see if I can locate some measurements online for it.

Comment

• Got my swingarm and rim back from powder coating yesterday. Only cost $40.00 to have both done. The swingarm is a semi gloss black like the rest of the bike, and it turned out rather good.

The rim is semi gloss white, however the job done on it is not the best. I wont complain for them money I spent, but I will find someone else for the future. Started loading it up with goodies.

Other than that its just a waiting game. The shock situation is pretty much solved. Tmod has been a great help in that department and I couldnt be happier.

Have another problem now.

The collector on my header is hanging down too low. A couple days ago I was out on the back roads pushing her real hard. Hit a huge dip in a turn and ripped the header wrap off again. I literally just fixed it a week ago from the same thing. There isn't any room to move it up any, so I need to come up with a 4-2 header with 2 pipes running down each side of the pan. I'll either mod a header to work or if cash permits I'll build a stainless header and ditch the wrap.

Comment

• Made some progress on this build yesterday. Started to finish the tail section but ran out of tube. I'll start the pictures with where I left off, this was a temp solution so I could keep riding

Then I started to bend some tube, tack weld and so on

Here one side is done

And now both are done and final welds are being layed in

Spent a couple hours on this, then rubed it down with WD-40, and went out and rode for a couple hours. I'll pick up some more tube this week and finish the bottom rails

Comment

• I wish my welds looked that good. This is turning into an impressive job.
                                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                                X