X

My Fighter

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Fighter

So i bought my first bike last month, its a 97 600 katana, the guy i bought it from was trying to turn it into a streetfighter and well idk what happened but its not complete, its been chopped (subframe, exhaust, and the bar that supports the tank) and its a headache, engine sounds good from the 3 times ive heard it start in the past month
    Having alot of issues with it not start, been reading around on hear and have come to a few conclusions why it might not start.
    The Battery on it isnt a motorcycle battery i dont think so im guessing its not turning overr fast enough to start, the carbs are missing some seals and they just need new parts or maybe an entire set...FML, and the exhaust is open piped, no backpressure and is loud as fux

Anyways i decided im going to create a thread and try to keep everyone posted on what is the current issue UNTIL i can finally get it running like a champ and finally get to ride it back home to visit family.

So as of now i took off the carbs, ive skimmed the carbs101 thread a few time and im bout to take them apart the way the thread says, I look at the plugs they are ok and they do give spark, when i have been able to start it...it was only firing on 2 cylinders, no idea how that is possible but that was with me giving it throttle and nearly full choke, for a brief moment before that i got it to run on all cylinders but it wouldnt idle.

Anyways, heres my headache
    Attached Files

If you are seeing obvious problems with the carbs at first glance, I think that is an absolutely good place to start. Take you time and do not skim cabs101,, but sit down with a nice cut of Joe and "read" it... deff keep us posted...
    "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Well the carbs def are not in beautiful condition, 2 of the top caps have a piece missing where the (im guessing) vacuum hose would go, One of those brass vaccuum hoses is pinched so it would not let air in, other than that the insides look good, ill post a pic of them when i can, needles to say i probably need new carbs, but fml i dnt wanna pay 400$ for a set, would it be a horrible idea jus to buy one carb to replace the one with the pinched vaccuum hose?
      Last edited by SU8ZERO; 07-31-2011, 11:52 PM.

Comment

A few things...

Battery: I strongly suggest you get a volt meter and check what it's putting out power wise. Key off, battery post to post should be min. 13.2v... key on, power at the coils (orange/w wire) should be min. 11v. If your not getting that, then you do have a lower power issue that can cause cold start issues or no start issues.

Frame: I'd give that a close going over and make sure the proper supports are on it before riding. A cross brace under the tank, and any sub frame seat rails are supported by an additional brace under side.

Carbs: Do a full and complete disassembly on them. Soak all metal parts in berryman's chem dip for at least 12 hours. Put them all back together and replace any/all rubber that is bad. Use an online parts fiche to referece to make sure you have all the parts you should. It is possible to replace a single carb body if you have a broken one. While doing this, check and note the following... main jet sizes for each, are there multiple slots on the needle for the e-clip and how many, is the needle jet orifice round and not egg shaped, what are the a/f screws set at?

Engine: while the bikes apart, do a valve adjustment check, change the oil and filter.

Putting it back together to make it run...

Put a real exhaust on there. Use the OEM airbox and OEM airfilter. Sync the carbs once it's all back together and you get it to start up.

Don't forget to check the date codes on the tires, inspect the sprockets and chain for wear/bad orings, replace the brake fluids (should be clear fluid), make sure the clutch is properly adjusted, and ... you should be mostly good to go for a ride.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

@Krey, i would love to jus tear the bike apart but i know almost certainly i would take it apart then be like wtf, brain fart i have no idea how it goes back together.

So i took off my battery and found out this is the battery the guy before me put in it

now im not too sure but i dont believe this battery will work properly, after charging this battery basically give me about 45 sec to to get my bike started(meaning when i turn on the key i push the start button for about 10 sec, it wont start so i stop and turn the bike off. I can do this about 3 times, 4 if im lucky).

Then i pulled out a sparkplug and find out they are CR8EK spark plugs. This isnt the right sparkplug is it? On a good battery i turn the motor over and look at the park and its yellowish and not very constant.

I know this isnt the mechanics forum but i already have this thread started, if a mod would move it that would be cool cause this is prob going to be alot of me asking questions about wtf is wrong.

I jus want this damn thing to start and run, Bought it with hopes and dreams and how 3 weeks in with only being able to ride the damn thing for 10 sec then it died

EDIT: I know this is not the right plug now reading the katwiki
          Last edited by SU8ZERO; 08-02-2011, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X