Running a naked kat, for commuting use

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running a naked kat, for commuting use

Hey all,
    My 96 Katana 600 has some banged up fairings, as well as damaged screw holes in the frame that can't be screwed into (previous owners took very poor care of bike), so the fairings are a tad loose no matter what I do.
    I'm poor, so I can't afford new fairings, and I'm a college student so I don't have time to repair the screw holes in the frame.
    All these factors are making me want to run a naked bike. Problem is doing this and still having a windscreen (I'm going to be using this bike to get back and forth to my school's airport facility on a daily basis, don't want to be bombarded by winds constantly when going highway speeds to get there)
    I know I can't just take off the side fairings and leave it at that. Any recommendations? I'd like to leave it with as many stock parts as possible.
    Would pictures be helpful?
    Thanks for any assistance.

Actually you can take off the main fairings and it'll run just fine, might look a tad funny with the stock mirrors tho.
    Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
    Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

i ran my 96 750 naked. windscreen bolted rite up without the fairings
      craig
      1996 katana 750 (sold to my friend)
      1990 katana 1100

Comment

I run my prekat naked, no screen for commuting. Works just fine, but I do remember right after I took the screen off it took a little getting used to before I stopped noticing the wind so much.
        Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Weld (or otherwise attach) a support:

Comment

Where can I order windscreens like that? I've got some friends that can help me jerry rig it.
            Any cheap ways to make it look like I didn't just rip off the plastic?
            Any recommended mirrors? The stock ones would look like crap.

Comment

I use the "hayabusa racing mirrors" you can find on ebay. They only need 1 bolt and are the same thread size. Admittedly I wish they stuck out a bit further, but I can see with em.
              Katriders.com, we've got dumb answers!

Comment

Originally posted by Staerke View Post
                Where can I order windscreens like that? I've got some friends that can help me jerry rig it.
                I don't know about where, but the sticker on it says "Memphis Shades"

Comment

icommute 40 miles a day no widscreen or fairings. I usually average around 85-90 mph highway. I don't even tuck in, once i got used to it, the wind keep me more upright and takes pressure off my back.
                  May the road rise up to meet you.
                  May the wind always be at your back.
                  May the sun shine warm upon your face,
                  and rains fall soft upon your fields.
                  And until we meet again,
                  May God hold you in the palm of His hand.
                  RIP Marc

Comment

I'm just wondering! does the windscreen really do anything except maybe send more bugs up into your face! I mean really, I have to clean my helmet off almost every time. and I see alot of guys on criusers not even wearing helmets.

Comment

Originally posted by barryjay View Post
                      I'm just wondering! does the windscreen really do anything except maybe send more bugs up into your face!
                      My Kat's windscreen directs the wind right at my face unless I'm hugging the tank. OTOH, my V-Star has a taller windscreen that directs the wind over my head, and it's comfortable even without a helmet.

Comment

Windscreen made a big difference for me. I rode once with no screen and no helmet and went about 100 and my eyes started to hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Staerke View Post
                          I'm a college student so I don't have time to repair the screw holes in the frame.
                          In the time it takes you to somehow rig the windshield to the bike you could fix the screw holes. Here's two methods. I'll start with the cheap, and improper method.

Method 1 - quick, cheap and improper (like my ex
                          0) Get a SMALLER bolt, like 8mm or smaller, matching nut and two washers for every hole that needs fixed.
                          1) Clean all around the backside of the flawed screw hole.
                          2) Place the nut and washer on the other side of the flawed hole. Put the bolt through the flawed hole and washer, then nut to ensure they line up.
                          3) Put some JB Weld, or perhaps metal epoxy on the washer and nut.
                          4) Quickly tape the washer and nut in place.
                          5) Quickly remove the bolt. Allow time for the washer and nut to dry.
                          6) Put the 8mm bolt through a washer, the flawed screw hole and finally your rigged nut on the other side. Screw it in.

The flaw in this method is that if the glue holding the backside washer and nut in place breaks it will be a pain in the rear to remove your fairing.

Method 2 - quick, proper, by the book and a little more expensive (also like a few ex's)
                          0) Drill the flawed hole out with a slightly larger size, perhaps 12 or 13mm
                          1) Use a tap and kit to rethread the new hole.
                          2) Drill out the fairing holes to accomodate a 13mm bolt
                          3) Put the fairings on using the larger bolt.

The obvious problem here is you need a friend that has a drill and tap & die kit or $ to buy them. You're probably looking at about 15 minutes per hole though (max) once you get the process down.

My 2 cents. If you like it naked, become a nudist. If you prefer fairings go that route. The holes really aren't a lot of work (though fixing the fairings might be).
                          Some people are primarily positive, others negative. Some argue about whether the glass is half full or half empty. Me? I drink the contents and call it empty.

Comment

Thanks for your advice, I hadn't thought of doing that. Maybe I'll post pics later and get some opinions as to what I should do with it. Fall break is cominng up and I might just stay at school and work on the bike.

Comment

Originally posted by barryjay View Post
                              I'm just wondering! does the windscreen really do anything except maybe send more bugs up into your face! I mean really, I have to clean my helmet off almost every time. and I see alot of guys on criusers not even wearing helmets.
                              Take the windscreen off and ride over 60mph, you'll see how much the windscreen actually does.
                              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                              Originally posted by soulless kaos
                              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X