X

Whats the deal???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the deal???

Why does everyone here say if you want your kat to be faster, get a Super Sport. The bike makes decent hp which can be improved upon, and it isn't that heavy. Especially with unnecessary crap stripped off. (STREETFIGHTER BABY) I always see the weight and it having a steel frame cited as a reason for it being slow. In reality it only weighs 36lbs. more than 1990 GSX-R. I don't get why so many people bash the kat for citing it as heavy and slow, and here of all places. Okay, its a Sport/Tourer but so is a busa. I posted this here because my fellow fighters can maybe explain this in a way I can comprehend.

The Kat wasn't built with speed in mind. It is a sport touring bike.

Your comparing a Kat to an old Gsxr from 1990. The new SS bikes are extremely light, 118 pounds lighter than my old Kat. The weight difference alone makes a HUGE difference in handling and speed. The SS bike has a lot more hp and a huge weight advantage.

As for a Hayabusa or ZX-14, they're classified as Hyper Sport bikes. They're sport bikes built with speed and acceleation in mind. Don't even try and compare them to a Kat, performance wise.

The Kat's performance is nothing like an SS bike. Ride one of these bikes and then compare them again. You will agree.
    2007 Honda CBR600rr
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
    sigpic

Comment

the kat is a great bike
      fast,in low rpm,perfect for streets
      perfect for a street fighter
      the sport bikes may be faster in high rpm but under 7 000rpm they are like a bicycle
      Live to ride,
      Ride KATANA!

Comment

If you own it don't bash it, ride it!

Comment

Actually the GSX-R 750 didn't drop significant weight until the SRAD model of 1996.
          Up until then the Kat was within 10 Kg.. Not a lot. As I mentioned in my post about swing arms Aluminum isn't as stiff as steel, so it takes more of it to do the same job.
          Steel has 3 times the stiffness at twice the weight. Aluminum however can be cast more easily so frame sections and swing arm pivots can be lighter. The Katana is a bargain in a lot of ways. A few points to remember in over all performance:
          Weight distribution: Where was the 199Kg of the GSX-R biased? Lower?
          Weight of brackets etc:Sure the GSX-R didn't weigh much less but what parts were heavier? Stressed parts most likely. Not things like handlebars.
          Unsprung weight:Your biggest bang for the buck in handling. Did the 1994 GSX-R have lower unsprung weight than the Kat?
          HP and HP/Torque curves: Like with Chevy, where no car can make more HP than the Corvette, the GSX-R even with the same engine as another bike needs to make just a little more. Also the curves are set for performance, not MPG or noise.

Comment

Why compare a 20 year old bike to a brand new one, that's apples and oranges. Was the 1990 GSX-R considered slow in it's day. I doubt it, imo it still isn't slow just not as fast as newer bikes. Zepp I see you have an 07 600rr in your stable, great bike. However, I think a kat is much more streetable bike. I rode many RR's and they handle great, but they are severly track oriented. I know the kat is more comfortable becausing its a sport/tourer, but whats wrong with wanting a fast bike that was made for the street. Also, hows that zx-14 haven't got to throw my leg over one yet. It looks like an angry rocket.

Comment

Working...
            X