X

whats the point of

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the point of

changing the swing arm is such a hassle to do on the kat that most people don't want to bother with it. but there are a few who do bother to change or modify the swing arm end up changing to an rfxxx swinger ,bandit swinger or to another swing arm that is similar to the katana swing arm (with an exception of kwebble). my thought was that if the kat swing arm isn't good enough then why change to an rf?/bandit. they are both non braced swing arms just like the kats. so what is the benifit of swaping swing arms with non braced bikes?

i have always wanted to do a swing arm swap because i once over heard a conversation about a ninja 900 that had a non braced swing arm ... and when you would hit the throttle the swing arm would flex. and kwebbles (anouka's) bike looks so awesome with a vfr swinger.
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

bp? watari? cp? nightmare?
    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
    Tony
    94 Katana 600

Comment

2 possible reasons.

1. Swap from a heavier steel swingarm that will flex, to a lighter aluminum swingarm that will not flex as much.

or...

2. Allows for the larger wheel swap without feeling the arm is comprimised by the modification.... In other words, not having access to a good welding source, or simple having the misconception that welding the arm will weaken it.

I took one look at the Kat arm and saw that the factory construction method WAS welding it... and knew I could have someone do a better job then what thier welds looked like.

If bracing is a consideration, than any swingarm can be braced. I almost did mine.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

the main reason is the tire150 is too little
        but if you are going to put a 180,it`s too much work for nothing
        if i do such a swap it will be for nothing less than a 240 tire
        Live to ride,
        Ride KATANA!

Comment

We do it because we can no other reason is needed
          Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

ah so the aluminum swing arms wont flex as much. that's good to know. damn, i was thinking that i was going to just brace my swing arm because if i was gonna swap it then i would go for a single sided swing arm, but now since my bike is a lil worried about her weight im thinking i should find an aluminum swinger.
            Tony
            94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
              ah so the aluminum swing arms wont flex as much. that's good to know. damn, i was thinking that i was going to just brace my swing arm because if i was gonna swap it then i would go for a single sided swing arm, but now since my bike is a lil worried about her weight im thinking i should find an aluminum swinger.
              Or a tubular custom. Even in steel they can ussually be made alot lighter than the factory arms, and stronger too because of the rounded stock.

What is it your trying to achieve with your swap if you do?

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

An aluminum swing arm is not guaranteed to not flex as much.. The rule of thumb is that Steel has twice the stiffness of aluminum but three times the weight. So with aluminum for the same weight you can have a part that is 1.5 times stiffer. So an aluminum one might weigh more and be much stiffer or weigh less and be about as stiff or a little more..

When you figure that the Kat was built on price, not on performance it makes sense that the swing arm they used was "enough" but not stellar. I agree with Tone's point in the context of this forum.. My reason was a combination of that and Krey's second point. I think if I had access to the equipment to modify the Kat swing arm I would have just made one from scratch.. But that's me.. I have always been a fan of tubular swing arms, like Bimota's...

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                  I think if I had access to the equipment to modify the Kat swing arm I would have just made one from scratch.. But that's me.. I have always been a fan of tubular swing arms, like Bimota's...
                  I can't tell you how many times Kenny (the welder) and I discussed just doing it from scratch instead of modding one. I chose to mod the one I had because it turned out to be simpler and cheaper in the long run for me.

Now Kenny still has the itch to make one from scratch... so a tubular chrome moly one will probably be in the works this summer.

And I agree... the tubular ones do look sweet!

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

so if one built a swing arm that was the same thickness as the kat swing arm but braced under the arm (to not interfere with sub frame rails) would that make it stiffer or just as stiff?
                    Tony
                    94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                      so if one built a swing arm that was the same thickness as the kat swing arm but braced under the arm (to not interfere with sub frame rails) would that make it stiffer or just as stiff?
                      If you added 1/2" square stock brace along the bottom it would make it significantly stiffer. The larger the stock used, the stiffer it will be, but you eventually reach a point where it's just over kill.

Krey
                      Last edited by Kreylyn; 04-10-2009, 03:13 PM.
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

i agree modding the original swigarm isnt that difficult. Now a 240 tire? I think you will run into some serious chain alignment issues. I put a 190 on and I am having to notch the frame quite a bit to clear the chain.

92 Kat 600
                        mods so far:
                        -96 750 engine -04 gsxr1000 rear fairings -02 gsxr 1000 6" rear wheel -and f upper fairings -190/50r17 tire -custom extended swing arm -02 gsxr rear brakes -520 chain conversion -gsxr forks and front end -undertail exhaust -04 yam r1 pegs and shifter -750 rear suspension -+2 rear sprocket -minus 1 f sprocket
                        www.myspace.com/waltwallace

Comment

Ive never found that my swing arm was too flexible... but... I did find that 1 uppin the tire to a 160 radial put a ton of torque on the stock slack adjusters. Grabbing a hard second gear will actually suck the stock steel end caps right into the swing arm body itself. My solution to this problem was to fab up new ones using 1/4 steel square stock, slicing them so that the folds of the steel actualy overlap the ends of the swingarm. thus making it impossible to fit inside the swingarm itself. I found this to be a very cheap and effective fix and have never encountered that problem again.

I may very well mod the rear brake strut support to accomodate a 170 in the future seems that the swingarm still has plenty o clearence for that already. Ill just hit that damn brace!
                          just not too sure that rim will allow it seems to be on that borderline.
                          Last edited by JokerZwild; 04-25-2009, 12:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          Joker
                          The newest addition to the Family!
                          sigpic
                          stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

the reasons i want to swap out swing arms are
                            A. i hate chain adjustments and trying to find the right alignment. single sided swinger solves my problem..

B. soon ill putting in a bigger motor and it will be putting a lot more torque, so a swing arm that has better rigidity isn't a bad idea.

C. bragging rights.... im not gonna lie.... i think it looks trick
                            Tony
                            94 Katana 600

Comment

I deff. agree On the single siders ....That is jus a wicked look in itself!! Id assume your lookin at the VFR as a donor?

what are you looking to bump up to a 750?
                              Last edited by JokerZwild; 04-25-2009, 02:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              Joker
                              The newest addition to the Family!
                              sigpic
                              stop by the garage for a better look!

Comment

Working...
                              X