X

Trouble installing air-box boots on Carbs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble installing air-box boots on Carbs

I spent six hours Sunday trying to get the rubber boots on my air-box to fit snug over the carb manifolds. It was my most frustrating motorcycle experience ever. I was unable to get all the boots over the manifolds and clamp them down.

Once I got one boot to fit over the carb it would simply pop off when trying to get another boot on. I even went as far as grinding/forging my own metal "spoon" like one would use on tires.

I'm out of ideas and can only guess that the box may have warped from heat or something; however it looks good at a glance and the boots look practically new.

Has anyone else had a hard time clamping their airbox on the carbs? Is warpage a likely possibility. I'm tempted to drop $50 and get another used box but have my doupts. Any ideas?

1994 Suzuki Katana 750 California model, my Baby.

Thanks

Hemp

You have to work them on from one side to the other. Install them with the air filter out, that way you can stick your hand inside the air box and work the boot around the throat of the carb.

Comment

Originally posted by katanafreak93 View Post
      You have to work them on from one side to the other. Install them with the air filter out, that way you can stick your hand inside the air box and work the boot around the throat of the carb.
      Bingo!!
      "Men will get no more out of life than they put into it."

Comment

ayup, air filter out.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Though I haven't tried it Md (who has taken apart more then a few carbs) says the best way is actually put the airobox on the carbs then put the carbs back on the bike..

Comment

Indeed .ONLY way I could ever get it to work for me . That way it's also easier to make sure the boots stay put whilst tightening the other clamps . I ain't taken the airbox off the carbs since last time I replace the fuel lines (been a coupel years) . I HATE messing with the airbox .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
              Though I haven't tried it Md (who has taken apart more then a few carbs) says the best way is actually put the airobox on the carbs then put the carbs back on the bike..
              +1 That's the only way I've ever been able to get the carbs and airbox back together right on the bike.
              Chris

Originally posted by jetmerritt
              Save up for great gear and dress for the fall before you ride. If you can't afford good quality gear, don't ride. It's like saying you can't afford seat belts for your car. There are just no laws to make gear mandatory.

Comment

Make sure the clamps aren't messed up either. I've seen some pretty bad ones.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Man, I am NOT jealous of you pre98 owners... My airbox just slides right on with little to no effort...
                  None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
                  -Robert Morrison

"
                  well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Wow, deja vu. I went throught the same exact ordeal yesterday. I took off the air box to put in a new filter and couldn't get the boots of the air box around the carbs at all. After 2 hours of failed attempts I decided to take off the carbs and was able to get the air box on in no time. My clamps are in pretty bad shape though which didn't help. Can those clamps be replaced with the type you can get at the home depot plumbing section or is it a strictly oem replacement?
                    We don't stop riding because we grow old, We grow old when we stop riding!

Comment

I never had a problem with my pre....even before the post 750 swap.

I always took a small bit of rubber grease on the tip of my finger, spread it around the inside of the airbox boots, kept the filter out, loosened the clamps and they always went right on for me.

I did work it either side to side or bottom to top....not all at once..

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
                        I always took a small bit of rubber grease on the tip of my finger, spread it around the inside of the airbox boots, kept the filter out, loosened the clamps and they always went right on for me.
                        I grease it all up and loosened up the clamps all the way and still couldn't get the air box on. A few of you keep mentioning to put the air box in without the filter but the bars that sit behind the air box will no let you put the air filter in or take it out if the air box is connected to the carbs. I'm confused. I have a 600 so maybe it might be different on the 750.
                        Last edited by Dankid; 03-17-2009, 08:18 AM. Reason: forgot a word
                        We don't stop riding because we grow old, We grow old when we stop riding!

Comment

take the carbs off and the air filter off
                          then you can easily put your hand in
                          (i had problems with my carb and put off and on the air filter box more than hundred times,now can do it with eyes closed
                          Live to ride,
                          Ride KATANA!

Comment

+10 on airbox on the carbs before you install it.
                            Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Originally posted by philwecksr View Post
                              Man, I am NOT jealous of you pre98 owners... My airbox just slides right on with little to no effort...
                              Yeah , but I can STILL change my jetting quicker than YOU can , AND have the carbs SYNCHED before you're prolly even halfway there .
                              I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                              X