X

Are 98+ Kats feasible streetfighters?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are 98+ Kats feasible streetfighters?

It seems as though the way the 98+ fairings fit with the tanks, the shape of the headlights, and how the gauges are covered, the 98+ Kats are kind of ugly naked.

Has anyone had any success with other headlights and gauge clusters on the 98+ Kats?

**I realize there are stickies for headlights and clusters. I'm mainly interested in using parts from other models, with as minimal fabrication as possible.
    Last edited by diphen; 10-05-2008, 11:23 PM. Reason: Trying to avoid asking redundant questions

the biggest problem you will face with any thought of a fighter is your comment of minimal fabrication...

my fighter has minimal fab', i did away with the clocks and used a bicycle speedo, my lights just required a bent and shaped piece of 2mm thick steel plate...

you just have to think away from stock parts to reduce your effort
    it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

98+ is no more challenging then pre98. In fact IMO easier because the lug on the 98+ tank (for the fairing screws) makes attaching something to smooth the lines of the tank easier.

Comment

Yeah, I think the tank is the worst part of doing a 98+ fighter. they can look good tho

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but whats the basic criteria for a bike that makes a good streetfighter?

Comment

Originally posted by delaney917k View Post
            Pardon my ignorance, but whats the basic criteria for a bike that makes a good streetfighter?
            Basically how the frame looks uncovered. Then how easily you can hide/modify the bits that are now showing.

Comment

Ah, so.. Thanks for that.

Comment

Originally posted by delaney917k View Post
                the basic, interesting question ...

what do you want on your bike ?? (cigarette lighter/satnav/cupholder ? )

the basics to me means no more than an engine, something to attach wheels and steering to it, somewhere to contain fuel and a seat (you only need one for the pilot), then away you go...

from there you decide how you want it to look and if you want any more than the "basic" requirements...

i've got lights and a front mudguard :mrgreen:
                it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

streetfighter should be devoid of all the extras .. should be modded for better power performance and handling .. just taking off fairings and rigging up some gauges is not really a fighter
                  so many roads so little time

Comment

Originally posted by eviilil0ne View Post
                    .. just taking off fairings and rigging up some gauges is not really a fighter

Comment

true,true thats what annoys me most of all about the streetfighter magazine over here alot of them are really really good but loads and loads are filtering down into the classifieds that are bandits or sv650s that have twin spotlights and renthals on oh and a loud can everything is the same i thought its a bit better if original and differant make it how you want to not the same as everyone else!

Comment

Originally posted by eviilil0ne View Post
                        streetfighter should be devoid of all the extras .. should be modded for better power performance and handling .. just taking off fairings and rigging up some gauges is not really a fighter
                        Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        Well since you both own Street fighters to be proud of..

Comment

I like that, "Make it how you want, along with pulling off gauges/fairings doesnt make it a fighter". My bike im trying to put back to stuck, but as of now its naked, and yes they are ugly you cant do much without fabricating some sort of bracket, of fairing for your stock gauges or changing the look to make the bike look pretty.

The Kat, is ganna look better stock then chopping up the fairings or molding them together, ive tried, it looked decent, but the fairings cracked, once the wind got to it. i pulled everything off, and put it to how it looks in my display image. and some people like it, some people think it looks like crap. As for gauges. you cant do much with the stock gauges on a 98+ cause its a digital set-up. just pull a cable speedo off of an older bike, and attach it. Although i do have a 93' gsxr 1100 front end on mine, and you can attach a cable speedo right to the front forks. I dont know much about fabricating, but what the hell it works for now until i can afford all the stock pieces.

Comment

I am a new guy but here is my two cents I guess. There are two different kind of bikes being talked about here, naked and streetfighter. Naked bikes are just taking the stock bike and changing it cosmetically to look more HOW YOU LIKE IT (not whether someone else likes it). Streetfighter is completely rebuilding the bike to run better, faster, stronger. So it is all how much time and energy you want to put into this project.
                            Me I am taking my 2002 Kat and am thinking about making my own fairings and am putting a Buell seat on and am thinking about changing some of the suspension. So would that be a naked or a streetfighter? (rhetorical question)

Again my two cents from a fairly new guy.

Winter Project:
                            2002 Katana 600
                            -Buell Seat
                            -Custom Swingarm?
                            -Custom Fairings?
                            -Major Cleaning of everything

Comment

Originally posted by RADAR56 View Post
                              I am a new guy but here is my two cents I guess. There are two different kind of bikes being talked about here, naked and streetfighter. Naked bikes are just taking the stock bike and changing it cosmetically to look more HOW YOU LIKE IT (not whether someone else likes it). Streetfighter is completely rebuilding the bike to run better, faster, stronger. So it is all how much time and energy you want to put into this project.
                              Me I am taking my 2002 Kat and am thinking about making my own fairings and am putting a Buell seat on and am thinking about changing some of the suspension. So would that be a naked or a streetfighter? (rhetorical question)

Again my two cents from a fairly new guy.

It's not a streetfighter until there's more power and it meets the grinder and a welder

Comment

Working...
                              X