No announcement yet.
X

89 600 Fighter (Many Pics, Help Needed)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 600 Fighter (Many Pics, Help Needed)

Hey gang, i started visiting this site when i got my katana a few months ago and since have been visiting quite regularly, however quietly, reading and learning lots. about a week after i bought my katana i blew a headgasket and decided to do all the work myself, this site combined with my clymer manual made it possible, after pulling the motor i figured everything else would be fairly straight foward, so i went to town, justifying everything with a "as long as i have this off/apart i might as well..." and after many long days in the garage, and long nights scouring the forums, i figured it would only be right to share with the community my "never quite finished" product, i ride it most days now, but many more things are in the works as time, money, and energy allow...

"Firewood, New Hampshire's answer to energy prices"

Headlamps-$17 from WalMart (As much as i hate that place, you really cant beat the prices)

Cheap-O speedometer i pulled off my old road bike, works just as well

Close up of head lamp setup and hi-tech mounting system for the tach

Ignition (zip tied, of course) and both keys (one for the ignition, one for the saddle, they both however work for the tank... curious...)

Mirror-$16 from local bike shop, special customized clutch lever (taught girlfriend how to ride)

Makeshift exhaust bracket (both passenger peg brackets were bent and rusty, so they recieved the dremel treatment)

Leaky mystery forks (Can anyone I.D. these?)

The tail section i cobbled together from parts i found in my garage (im not much for photo editing, thus the duct tape)

The tank (i started to strip the paint with airplane stripper, got through 4 layers, (silver, black, green, blue) and decided enough was enough (the fumes may have had some influence on this decision)) the duct tape is there to stop that stupid thing from rattling.

How the directional bracket is mounted to the triple tree using the bolts for the handle bars

The shifter broke temporary fix (Does anyone have one of these they would be willing to sell me?)

Akward foot pegs, does anyone know of a good alternative? preferably something that isnt bulky and rubber coated like these, and looks and fits better? if not I'll fab some up this winter and post some pics

thanks for checking out my bike, any questions, comments, criticism, advise, whatnot greatly appreciated!

As for the footpegs, just take the rubber off. As for the parts, PM Arsenic, or anyone else with stuff in the for sale forum.
    As for the bad time with a stripper, been there, done that

I like the headlights. You may want to check out Waltari's Kat of the year that uses similar headlights, but they're mounted in the center.

With all the duct tape and wire ties, I'm surprised it's street legal, however, if you search on here, there are lots of tips and tricks to getting it in better shape with little or no money.

...and Welcome to KR!
    -
    -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Those look to be early (86-87) GSXR750 forks.

Shifters are easy to find. Look around. Good luck with the bike!
      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

the forks look like early gsxr slabside , i like the off centre lights , different from the normal set up
        off the shelf parts do not make a custom bike

Comment

I sent you a PM

Comment

three of us agree ...

early 750 slabside forks
            it ain't broke ....

i ain't fixed it enough

Comment

PM Sent

Comment

hahahah wow....

reminds me kinda what mine looked like when i got it.....

Lots of um.... "back yard retrofitting"......

Good luck man keep us updated....
                THE EMAIL BANDIT
                F4 I stunted out
                Cbr900 (low and stretched)
                MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

4 of us agree, early slabside forks, but its a slingshot wheel
                  Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, i have the original forks for it, but im not sure if there bent or not and the seals are completely cooked, recommendations as to whether i should keep the gsxr forks or fix the originals? Also, an update on the speedometer... shuts off after 65... just figured that out (i spend most of my time on costal new england backroads, the kinds of placed where if you're going over 65, you dont dare take you're eye off the road, haha

Comment

Originally posted by tone View Post
                      4 of us agree, early slabside forks, but its a slingshot wheel
                      Nah, that's no slingshot wheel...... that's a regular old katana wheel. The slingshot wheels have a smoother lip on them.

Example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...spagenameZWD1V
                      Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

I like the headlight placement. Looking forward to the progression.

Comment

looks good, get some more metal and bolt everything down!

Comment

looks bout like mine when i started. Good luck and keep us posted

Comment

take yer rpm gauge down and put it in front of the speedo (where the ignition should be) and ust a big huse clamp to secure it around that part where the ignition should be.. if ya dont understand, let me know. i'll post pics.. thats how min is, and it looks much less tackified. overall im scared of it, but if i did the work myself, i'd probly be riding it too.

Comment

Working...
                              X