X

Fork Mounting the Birdcage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork Mounting the Birdcage

I just started running without my plastics and i like the way it looks. The main thing i want to change now is the ugly birdcage on the front. What is the easiest/cheapest way to get that mounted up on the forks?

Get what mounted up there?
    The whole bird cage? Not really worth it.
    You're better off running a bucket headlight and different gauge bracket..

Comment

I like the looks of the cluster and setup i have know. I just want to chop off the posts connecting it to the bike and get it mounted on the forks and closer in. Im just wondering if anyone else has done this and what kind of brackets would be best to hold all that on.

Comment

this is my project right now , it's a 98 kat 600 cc i only put a enduro headlight custom, and i think that it looks pretty good , i really like it, go on with your project man

Comment

I have been eyeballing a front that looks exactly like that (http://www.flyncycle.com/acatalog/RA..._FAIRINGS.html). What are you using for gauges?

Comment

I monkeyed with the cage for a while..
            Losing proposition IMO

Comment

yeah i agree with BP cheapest way to do this a single 7" round headlight from ebay and some brackets to hold it up then get some zip ties to hold on those gauges till you get a bracket made for em...

BTW you need the bucket ring and a light its self but some times you can find one that still together. but i dont know if it matters if the inside of the bucket is rusted... which is what u will find on ebay..
              Last edited by il_ragazzo; 04-13-2008, 01:21 PM.
              Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
              Tony
              94 Katana 600

Comment

this is a newb question but WTF is a birdcage?

Comment

It's a motorsports thing.. It refers to a frame work of thin tubes. In Katana land it's what we call the head light mount.

Comment

thats right

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by CantFocus View Post
                      I have been eyeballing a front that looks exactly like that (http://www.flyncycle.com/acatalog/RA..._FAIRINGS.html). What are you using for gauges?

Yeah I just pulled up an old thread for life support.

That front clip is JUST wide enough to cover the stock gauge cluster. I have a very similar looking front end, think it was called "Demon" but looks just like that one. I mounted it and the stock gauges using a pair of universal fort mounts and 6 fairly thin strips of aluminum I drilled and twisted, 4 to mount the plastic and 2 for the gauge cluster.

Works fine but had a tendancy to end up pointing downward as road rumble loosened nuts up over time. Eventually I torqued it down with nylon lock nuts, lock washer, and thread locker, hasn't shifted since then.

Comment

Originally posted by Vandil View Post

Works fine but had a tendancy to end up pointing downward as road rumble loosened nuts up over time. Eventually I torqued it down with nylon lock nuts, lock washer, and thread locker, hasn't shifted since then.
                        Man I have heard of "belt and suspenders" but that is belt, suspenders and velcro!

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                          Man I have heard of "belt and suspenders" but that is belt, suspenders and velcro!
                          Someday I'll get off my duff and buy a welder, besides I was out of duct tape.

Comment

yeah there are tons of ways to go about changing the "bird cage" AKA ugly stock front end (when naked).....

this is how i takled it... mostly because i hated how it looked and was bored and had a cuttin wheel and a welder.....

It started like this.... STOCK AND TRASHED....

Then it progressed to this....

And now its about like this....

I know its still not all that pretty but for a grand total of like 2 hours of work and Zero dollars i cant complain..... still have a tach and speedo and indicator lights..... but doesn't look near as bad...... still got some plans.... but cash has to come first....
                            THE EMAIL BANDIT
                            F4 I stunted out
                            Cbr900 (low and stretched)
                            MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

Comment

ok havent been on i while and cash is deff scarse, im lookin to get some headlights and was wondering where or what is a good deal. i'd like to go with the twin 3 in lights. fastjetta what r urs?

Comment

Working...
                              X