No announcement yet.
X

Y2KTJ's $50 1990 gsx600f build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah 92 definitely not optimum painting temps, but if that was the case I would expect to see it all over and not just specific areas. Katrider same thing. If it was an issue with paint compatibility I would see it everywhere. I sanded the offending areas down and laid a couple color coats no problem. Then laid some clear and the shit did the same thing!! Guess I'll have to take it right down to bare metal.

On a side note after 20yrs with my company they let me go last friday so the bike is going to the back burner. Unfortunately I never ordered the remaining parts needed so its going to sit for awhile and probably be another year before it sees the road!

Comment

• Wow, that's really crappy. I went through something similar a few years ago. It's a definite shock to the system. I was only with that company for 12 years. First, don't panic. Second, file for unemployment, immediately. Take the time to get your resume up to date, get help with it, have friends and family check it, and find a job worth having. Don't get stuck somewhere you'll hate just to take the first job that comes around. I actually got the state to pay for me to go through training which helped me get a better job anyway. Here in Pennsylvania, it was a place called CareerLink that helps unemployed people with resumes, job searches, getting training, holding job fairs, etc.

Comment

• I've noticed that if the lacquer or enamel under coat is still not 100% cured, there is a likely hood that the two different paints will mix well even though they are not supposed to. I guess they some how chemically bond That could explain why its patchy. Also, if the spray can vs the material vs the air temp are different that can result in what 92X was saying. Example, hot day, but cold paint from inside a air conditioned home...or cold metal and hot spray can from sitting in the sun or what ever, you get the point.
        As for work, that sucks dude. I'm going through work issues myself. Only I've found a new job and start Monday. Hope its better than the shit I"m getting away from.
        Non-the-less, put in those 8hrs you'd normally be working into finding a new job. Make finding a new job, your new job !
        My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

• Thanks guys. It would have happened eventually. Theres no way I would spend the next 25yrs to retirement there even if I wanted to. I'm young enough still, with 20yrs management experience so I have something to offer my new employer at least. Not sure if I want to continue down that road though. The job market is ridiculously good here right now. Its the reverse of the old days, the potential hire now gets back to you if they want the job. Was the other way around when I started there. Have a couple months pay coming as well as the yearly bonus so I'm good for a bit. Had 2 job offers before the day they let me go was over. Took the week off and worked on the resume a bit. Was a painter for 10+ yrs and a contractor buddy hooked me up with a cash job that almost pays what I was making and says he has lots more. It will keep the money coming while I figure things out.

As far as the paint goes.....I'm guessing its a combination of things. Its been cold here so maybe under layer wasn't cured, sprayed in a "heated booth" but maybe after I shut the lights out it got to cold at night. Maybe oil contaminants. It reminded me of when painting houses when you put latex over oil. Regardless I stripped the whole tank down today and am starting over. Was a bummer because most of the tank looked really good. I learned alot and am looking forward to doing it again.lol sort of!! This time I'm using all primer/paint of the same make.

Comment

• I repaint my brake disc every time I take my wheels off. By the time I take the wheels off the disc are tarnished with brake dust.
            I just use spray can air craft remover from any parts store. It basically brushes off after a mist of that stuff. Just be careful about putting it on your bondo work. It will remove a thin layer. Well, the stuff I had would. I'm sure there are stronger grades.

Comment

• The whole think still doesn't make sense to me. Steps I took, bondo, sand, primer, spot filler for pin holes, sand, primer, sand, 2 coats of color laid down fine except of the dust that got in it. and the problem started. Made the mistake of sanding the whole tank while removing the dust.I know now not to before clear. Sanded to deep on a couple ridges so I shot the whole tank with another coat. Thats when the cracking happened. With nothing to lose I sanded those areas and added color to just those spots. Color laid fine and I was actually happy with my repair. Then a couple days later I laid 2 clear coats down and it all came back! Tried to repair the areas, little primer, color and then the clear cracked. Even if it hadn't my patch skills suck! lol

Finished removing the paint and sanded the tank tonight. While doing it I clued in to the fact that the areas that cracked I had used the bondo spot filler. Not sure why the primer or first 2 coats of color weren't effected by it. I'll just add it to the rest of the earth's mysteries unless someone can enlighten me!

Comment

• Maybe the bondo absorbed the moisture from the first two coats, then remained wet. Which in turn need longer to cure than the areas without bondo.

EDIT: Not that I've ever done this with rattle can spray paint, but when I had my Mustang painted I was told to wait a full month before washing and waxing.
                Last edited by katanarider; 03-16-2019, 08:42 AM.

Comment

• Sounds like the paint wasn’t cured enough between coats or you applied too thick of a coat of paint, cured on top, wet under. I usually wait a week or so before clear coat. Also, make sure you are using the same brand of paints/clear and the same type.
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• Don't pay attention to that dude.
                    He don't know what he's saying.

Comment

• Been awhile since a post. Just laid the final coat of clear on the tank today and no issues. Think I was to impatient in between steps. On a positive note landed an assistant manager position today and an interview for the manager job on tuesday. Assistant job is a little less than previous job but not much and the manager would be about the same. So the build will continue!

Comment

• Been awhile since a post but I got the Manager job and in the 4th week now so finances are back on track and can start ordering the missing parts. Still working on the truck and camper project right now and the Jeep is a never ending project but I WILL get the bike to the point I can ride it around the block this summer, get my learners and finish the paint before it gets cold. First off will be new chain adjusters and a brake lever this week for sure. Then going to try local salvage for exhaust one more time then order from ebay. Really want to get exhaust on it so I can fire it up again to help with motivation.

No changes but a pic for motivation.

Comment

• “Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
                          Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
                          ― Douglas Adams

Comment

• Originally posted by Lachie View Post
                            +1
                            1998 Katana 750
                            1992 Katana 1100
                            2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• JEEP= Just Empty Every Pocket........I’m still throwing cash at mine. Nothing left to change...just stroked the motor ( yes, it feels good...LOL), swapped disk breaks in the rear while regearing the axles. I now see day light at the end of the tunnel.
                              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                              spammer police
                              USAF veteran
                              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                                JEEP= Just Empty Every Pocket........I’m still throwing cash at mine. Nothing left to change...just stroked the motor ( yes, it feels good...LOL), swapped disk breaks in the rear while regearing the axles. I now see day light at the end of the tunnel.
                                Lol Been throwing cash at mine for 18 years! What tire and gears you running 92? and swapped discs onto what axle? Ujoint in the rear d shaft let go a couple weeks ago while on training 100km from home and did some damage to bothe the tcase yoke and cv joint.. Aussie locker in the front so driving in fwd was sketchy as hell. Luckily was able to swap the ujoint out in the parking lot of the store I was training at and limp the jeep home. Replaced the cv joint but looks like its time to replace the entire rear suspension.

So gotta swap out the cooling system in the xj so I can work on the tj. But The bike will still see some love.

Comment

Working...
                                X