X

Y2KTJ's $50 1990 gsx600f build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• something like this?

Apparently there is a rubber peice too and I'm guessing the rubber goes on the stand.
    Google not any help for pics of it on a bike.

Comment

• That would bend with the stand slamming into it its shaped more like a ‘Y’, even a ‘V’ would work With the two open ends welded to the pipe rubber stop on the other end. <O like this
      Last edited by 92xjunker; 01-07-2019, 02:21 AM.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• What normally stops the center stand the bracket on the LH exhaust (the rubber is missing)

“Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
        Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
        ― Douglas Adams

Comment

• Originally posted by Lachie View Post
          What normally stops the center stand the bracket on the LH exhaust (the rubber is missing)

Thanks for the pic Lachie. Is that a photo from your library or do you have exhaust and wiring lying around! lol Easy enough to fab up. Exhaust is next on the list. Going to call the salvage guy tomorrow and see what he has. Hoping he has some stock mufflers from the bike they got in awhile ago for a decent price.

Doing some research on exhaust now. It's all new to me so starting from scratch. From other posts I understand that having the right cans on the bike is more important than a muffler on a regular car. Different exhaust means rejetting the carb which I have a general idea about but would like to avoid if I can. I have the can off the PO zx6 which is a 4-1 exhaust. If the salvage doesn't have stock stuff but a matching zx6 one could I use it?

I'm not looking for any performance upgrades right now just need some exhaust on the bike.

Quick Ebay search says the exhaust is a complete unit from headers to muffler. And they want $150 cnd for just 1 side. Building on the cheap so what are my options? Would 2 mufflers from a similar bike do? What should I look for in slip ons?

Comment

• Answered some of my questions already reading my other thread. Still curious about slip ons and other muffler options.

Comment

• I have a few bits and pieces lying around when I get some home credit points I'm going to put another bike together LOL

I built this out of the 750 headers and a RF900 pipe and cut down rf900 muffler in an emergency and it actually worked quite well

The tail pipe is actually full of baffle material and the internal diameter is probably around 47mm

It ran on standard jetting.

Depends on what you want to do, it is easier to get stock and would fit up best but perhaps not the cheapest option

If the zx6 can is from a 4-1 it should easy flow enough for your bike. You could use the zx6 can and weld up a midpipe to make a 4-1 if that's a cheaper option.

Or get a matching one or what ever the salvage guy has that would suit and whats cheap for you

If you get a matching one that means you will have to build up and mate together two non OEM exhausts which seems a lot of work

Most jetting problems are low speed and midrange which can mostly be sorted by tuning what you have IMO
              “Anything that happens, happens. Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
              Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again. It doesn’t necessarily do it in chronological order, though.”
              ― Douglas Adams

Comment

• Haven't measured the stock pipes or the zx6 can. I'm guessing a 4-1 can is a larger pipe? See what the salvage has. Honestly the fabricator in me wants to give the 4-1 a go. Saw your exhaust build and that is some skill.

Comment

• Spent some time on the bike.

Got it up on the center stand! With the bike level I can see how crooked the headlight stay is. Deal with it tomorrow.

Yesterday I did a little experimenting with the acetone and Lego blocks to repair cracks in the fairings. Picked up some 100% acetone from work and stole some blocks from my kid and within a few minutes they started melting. A tried on a small crack on one of the rear peices. All I did was clean it, file the crack with a rough file into a V and rough the plastic around the crack. Then applied the mixture into the crack like spackle on a wall ( I added blocks to the mix until it wasn't thick but not runny) It was dry today so sanded it down to where it was just the crack that had fill in it and gave it a wiggle. Seems to have bonded well. See how the rest go. Phone died when I got out there so no pics.

The Ebay seller refunded my money for the gsxr mirrors and wouldn't take them back so thinking I'll just paint the carbon fiber. No idea how long the paint will stick but I'm not a fan of the fake look.

Comment

• Worked on the headlight stay tonight. With the bike on the side stand I never noticed how bad it was. Funny how much better it looked in person. I'll have to take pics before and as I work on it next time.

Here's a pic of how crooked it is after I spent a couple minutes trying to straighten it by hand.

Was harder than I thought to straighten out and get all the different mount locations for the fairings, mirrors and screen to line up and be symmetrical and level. Hard to take a decent measurement of anything. The bike was dropped on the right side and on the left side everything seemed to line up. I cut the welds off on the right side mirror/headlight bracket as well as the weld on the upper tube. Heat the tube and bend. Reinstall everything, check, dissasemble and repeat. And repeat! lol Got it close but still not quite right.

With the screen and mirrors on the fairing doesn't fit the headlight right on the right side. The gsxr mirror mount needs a little shaping to fit the bike but helped with fitment. Right mirror is a little forward of the left. Thinking I need to repair the cracks in the fairing at the mirror mount before doing anymore to the stay to help line things up. Maybe end up ordering a new one but I'll give it a go first.

Couple pics with everything on the bike!

Exhaust tube I used to test helps make it look like a bike!!

Screen doesn't have a hole in it for this bolt hole you can see through the screen. Should it?

And Im guessing the spring for the gas key flap is broken. Is this hard to change?

I asked before but no one replied. This plastic tray seems like it should fit under the seat above the battery.

If so then I guess I got the wrong battery as this one is to tall for the tray. I can easily lower the bottom of the battery box if needed. If it should be there is it something you guys use for storage?

Local Salvage doesn't have any exhaust so still figuring that out.

Comment

• I don’t have that tray, never seen that tray. The fender has a tray in it for the tools. Can help with the battery fitment. I run a modded tray for a lithium battery to clear a R6 shock. My old battery was a size 12
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

• I tried to fix a similar petrol cap issue once didn't work. There is a wee small ball bearing under the spring which rolls on and out of s grove it can wear and the ball gets stuck on the wrong side which jams the lid. Lunatic had a pic of one apart on his project. You may have better luck idk when you take it apart do it on a cloth and hopefully don't lose the ball .

on your other post you asked what the washers were for they are to adjust the needle hey position and fit under needle to lift it out of the jet if needed. But that's quite a bit down the track at this stage
                        Last edited by Lachie; 01-12-2019, 05:03 PM.
                        ― Douglas Adams

Comment

• Just go with a keyless and call it done forever....lol
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran

Comment

• So looking for exhaust I came across this bike. This is an older listing for the bike

Buy & sell your used stuff for free in undefined. Your local, family-friendly online classifieds site for cars, furniture, jobs, real estate & more

The current listing it is advertised as a naked bike that needs a wiring harness and comes with a bunch of stock parts. Hes asking 700 for it now. I sent him a message asking if he had spare exhaust. he said no and doesn't want to part the bike but would sell it for 400. Wish I had seen this before I ordered all the parts I already have. Hes been trying to sell it for 1.5 years. At least 1 of the cans has a dent in it. Going to go have a look at it. Besides the exhaust I still need a chain and front brake lever and if he still has the fairings the one in the pic is in way better shape than mine. Maybe the tires are newer in better shape. I could also use the blinkers and some random other stuff. Like the chain guide, one rubber gas mount on the cross tube and I think there is one for the front of the tank as well I'm missing and the rubber bearing cover for the triple tree. I've got lots of room to store the bike so see how low he will go.

Comment

• Took the gas cap off to have a look at it. Peeled the tank protector stickers of the ring and the flap. Had a look at how it works and comes apart, unscrewed the 2 screws on the bottom but decided not to bother and low and behold the flap now stays down.

I'm guessing by undoing the 2 screws I affected the spring mechanism. Besides the key flap opening while I ride did I do any other harm? The cap seems to seal tight still. I watched a vid on caps and they talked about cheap after market caps not having shut off valves and wondering if I could have messed it up. Any chance gas will leak from it now if I drop the bike?

Spent alittle time on repairing the right fairing at the bars. Not really a permanent fix, just enough to get the cracks together to get the headlight stay lined up. Rough sanded around the cracks, filed a V on both sides of them and drilled holes at the ends to try and stop them from spreading. Used some tape to pull the 2 sides together. Then applied my Lego sauce.

I'm impatient so dried it infront of a halogen light for an hour or so. Then sanded it down. I only did the one side because I wanted to test how well it bonded. Again I was really impressed at how well it bonded to the fairing. Even with the backside untouched the join held while flexing.

After a little sanding.
                              Cant decide if my "sauce" is to thin, you can see in the pic that the cracks are still visible once dry. This might be a good thing as it allows it to get into the cracks. Easy enough to add a 2nd coat. Not sure if 1 thick coat would be better than 2 thin.
                              Not paint ready obviously but better than it was. Put some sauce on the back side to sit overnight. Ill add some fiberglass mat to the backside later if it has bonded well.

So glad I put the center stand on it. Not only did it level the bike out to show how bad the headlight stay is but it also let me get a feel for the foot control placement. I had them way to high. And when checking how to get the front wheel off the ground I realize I don't have the forks on right. There is a lot of play in the "stem"? Like the bearings aren't seated properly. I didn't tighten the bolt all the way when I put it on but feels like its more than just that. So I'll add it to the list. When I started reassembling the bike I was just trying to fit all the peices together. Once I have it all together I will be going back over every nut and bolt and torquing to spec to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Comment

• So buddy with the bike for sale hasn't gotten back to me. Really need to add headlight stay to the list of parts needed. I spent some more time on the headlight stay today. Gotta say this thing is pissing me off. With so many different mounting points it has been more than difficult to get straight. Hardest part is trying to get it square measuring from different points off the bike. My Lego repair at the mirror mount cracked again from the stress of the crooked mount underneath so I adjusted the mount and redid the repair. Was only a thin coat on the repair so not surprising it cracked. I'm still impressed with how well it works and the second repair was a lot thicker on the back side. I gave it a good stress test and it held up. The bike won't be getting a real paint job so should be good enough for the time being. I also spent some time repairing the lower right fairing that had a hole ground through where the stator cover is. Used some paper to mockup the shape and covered with sauce. I'll snap some pics once the second coat is dry. So far it's not perfect but better than it was. When the time comes I'll add some matting to the back side to strengthen it up.

With the stay I ended up cutting the right side headlight bracket and the bar with the lower windshield mount off. Bolted the headlight, fairings and windshield on to get it all lined up and then tacked the mounts back together. Its not perfect but is better than it was. The screen is at least straight now but maybe a bit off to the left side. Really wasn't noticable until I bolted the mirrors on.

At least you can see in the pic that I got the fairings to fit around the headlight better. Funny how the pic shows how off to the left it is. Wasn't that noticeable in real life! lol Now that I see it I guess I've got more work to do.

Felt good to sit on her with the fairings, windshield and mirrors on. Small victories keep the dream alive!!

Hoping the guy with the bike gets back to me so I can get some exhaust on it among other things. Itching to fire it up for more than a few seconds. Everythings on hold till I get a look at the bike. Don't want to order anything if I can get that bike for cheap.

Finally got the cover off the front brake reservoir after soaking the screws with some penetrating lube for a couple days. Fluid seemed a little darker than expected inside. Next time out I'll get into the front end. Tear apart the calipers and see what's going on with the loose triple tree. Is that what it's called on sport bikes? where the forks meet the frame? guess I'll do a search. lol

Comment

Working...
                                X