X

My new Katana 600 project bike.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Katana 600 project bike.

I picked this up for $550 a little over a week ago. The transmission slips out of second gear when you accelerate, but it runs pretty good. It's in bad shape and I can't believe someone was actually riding this thing. One of the covers was leaking oil and to stop the leak they packed a sponge and towel under it. The fairing are pretty rough and it needs new tires.

This is what I found with the transmission. The dogs are rounded but the rest of the trans looked okay from what I could see at a quick glance.

Aaaaaahhh!!!!! Purple. Mine looked like that for a very short time.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      Aaaaaahhh!!!!! Purple. Mine looked like that for a very short time.
      Yeah, it will only keep this color for this year. Next year I'm going with yellow I think. It stands out and I just like the color on bikes. I failed to mention that this is a "94" with around 26000 miles.

Comment

After further inspection I found more damage with the transmission.

I'm not sure what route I'm going to take because it's more than one gear and slider. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy a new used trans or just buy the bad parts. Also, how do you stop this from being a recurring issue. I've seen too many thread with this issue.

Comment

I'm not sure what route I'm going to take because it's more than one gear and slider. I'm not sure if I'm going to buy a new used trans or just buy the bad parts. Also, how do you stop this from being a recurring issue. I've seen too many thread with this issue.
          I say buy a whole new tranny. I got one in perfect condition for $55 shipped. Be careful another member mentioned he was watching the one I bought

If there is slippage on the gears its better to have all the parts in good condition before you put it back together. Whats $50-$80 to have a well running bike?

To avoid that you can not launch in second gear to pull wheelies and ride it properly lol. someone abused it and thats why it is bad. Change the oil, ride it well, and don't beat it up.

Buy a new tranny. Its not that expensive. Clean out your oil passages and crank case because you probably have a lot of metal shreds in there. Mine did, but my gear was busted completely.

Good luck and have fun!
          Last edited by Yeoj112689; 07-12-2015, 10:49 PM. Reason: shitty hotel internet :P
          Follow my custom build thread! (check first post for major updates and to sell me parts!)

Free Parts

Comment

Working...
          X