X

Pre750 Engine Build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
    Also, as I worked myslef deeper and deeper, the smell of burnt oil got stronger and stronger. Does that mean anything? Lol
    I hate that smell. My first engine rebuild project was a Chev 305, smelled really bad, but I had a machine shop clean and evaluate the block before going onward. The block was good.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
      I hate that smell. My first engine rebuild project was a Chev 305, smelled really bad, but I had a machine shop clean and evaluate the block before going onward. The block was good.
      I think it would be a good idea at this point in time to have a shop look over the block.

You've got it all apart, they can check everything for cracks and have it all cleaned for you. At least this way, you know you're not starting with a cracked block or something.

All the effort of putting in bigger/better cams and a full rebuild would go to waste if you didn't start off with a good block. Just my $0.02.

EDIT: If the goal is more HP, definitely have the heads ported and polished. Engines are giant air-moving machines. The more they can breathe, the more power/torque they produce.

If you can upgrade the headers, that would be a big upgrade as well. That might cause some problems with idle/running smoothly though (as I've read on other threads).
      Last edited by Aaron-71; 06-13-2015, 01:59 PM.
      2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
      - Aaron

Comment

Pulled the Oil pan today to check the gears. The dogs look a little worn, I guess it is expected for a 25 yr old bike with 40K but heres the pics

And a closer view

My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron-71 View Post
          I think it would be a good idea at this point in time to have a shop look over the block.

You've got it all apart, they can check everything for cracks and have it all cleaned for you. At least this way, you know you're not starting with a cracked block or something.

All the effort of putting in bigger/better cams and a full rebuild would go to waste if you didn't start off with a good block. Just my $0.02.

EDIT: If the goal is more HP, definitely have the heads ported and polished. Engines are giant air-moving machines. The more they can breathe, the more power/torque they produce.

If you can upgrade the headers, that would be a big upgrade as well. That might cause some problems with idle/running smoothly though (as I've read on other threads).
          I agree, I SHOULD probably have it checked but I think im gunna risk it. Yes, Im going for max HP out of this motor. Well, without enlarging the valves and pistons. I gotta draw the line somewhere. It is after all, just a katana. When Im done it'll be bad bitch though.

I have a full yoshi system on my 600 which will be bolting to the 750 so the 4 to 1 headers are already aftermarket and bigger. I gotta do an oil change on the 600 so when I do, im going to mic the header size as to make sure for a perfect fit with the ported 750 engine.
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Just the project I wanna follow.
            My 750 is the same age and with low oil pressure. So I need to open up all the bearings and measure the clearances, figure out WTF.
            Hope the valve guide clearances are good, no sign of that issue.

I wanna do more than just a repair, so I'll do a top end rebuild too, new GSXR-J cams, springs, prolly only DIY port polishing.
            I'm just gonna buy GSXR-J main jets, seems like that will do.
            Last edited by buffalobill; 07-12-2015, 02:20 PM. Reason: Jonnie Walker

Comment

I just came into that issue. I havent spec'ed it out yet but the last four intake valves were pretty bad underneath. Im worried that they are hosed. As for right now, I've got all the intavalves clean, the exhaust are a pain in the ass to clean. lol Then Im going to clean up the head a but where the valves go and start checking the guides. Im hope, hope, hoping that its just the rubber that needs replacing... Still kinfa worried about the trans and Ive heard an 89 gsxr 750 trans will fit in the hole but those bastards are hard to find nowadays. lol
              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
              X