No announcement yet.
X

Pre750 Engine Build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I finally got the motor on my bench. Pulled the side cover and rolled it over and it rolls smooth. All the valves appear to be moving well on both sides so thats good. Im gettin a leak down tester tuesday so Im excited to see the numbers. I might pump the thing full of air in mean time, just to see what it does. It looks like (im hoping im wrong) the oil cooler tubes are leaking but i guess it could just be from laying on it face for so long. The whole front of it is drenched in oil though.

I really dont want to pull the head if I dont have to because it looks like a fresh ass head gasket and jug gasket. Fingers Crossed
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

welp... put a leakdown tester on this bitch and it aint pretty. I have 0 compression in cylinder 1. Air escaping out of the intake, ie: bent valve i assume. The other 3 cylinders are at 60% loss with air pumping into the the crankcase. Cylinder 2 had air escaping through the intake as well as into the case. So much for that new head gasket. Looks like its tear down time.
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Took the cams out last night. Feeling a little nervous the intake cam wasn't even tightened down. It kinda makes me feel like they gave up and slapped it back together. How do you hand tighten every bolts along the whole intake cam and forget to go back and torque them?!
        2007 GSXR 750

Comment

If you're already going to have it all apart for new valves/seals...it would be a perfect time to port the head if you can afford it...just saying...

Good luck with nothing else being buggered!
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Ok guys.... I need your input. This post is going to be picture intensive. So I figured out why i had no compression in cyl 1 but im going to start from the beginning.

Pistons with jugs still on...

I notice cylinder 4 is dry, while all the others are wet and oily.... maybe troubleshooting? (dropping oil in cylinder to compare compression ratings)

All 4

Can you guess why i had no compression in cyl 1?

Valves Cylinder 4 still dry...

Another anlge

Cyl 1 exhaust side

cyl 2

cyl 3

cyl 4

cyl 4 intake side

cyl 3

cyl 2

cyl 1

For those of you who couldnt pick out the 0 compression problem in cyl 1... here is what was wedged in it.

Pistons ( i started cleaning cyl 4)

cyl 4 rings

cyl 3 rings

cyl 2 rings

cyl 1 rings

So honestly, to me... the rings look new. Im wondering if the compression test did so bad because the rings werent hot, and based on the torque of the intake cam, never ran.... Opinions?

As for no compression in cylinder 1, thats been solved. sooo... do i call it good, buy a new gasket kit, amd clean the valve seats???

I need your guy's opinion. Let me know where you think i should throw my money... lol
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

1 other issue, oil, those Pistons are incrusted with burnt oil and carbon ( 4-good then worse as you go to 1) put the cylinder back on then, level the Pistons out then pour fuel in cylinders (hot full) see how fast they leak by the rings. Should be close to the same rate. Also check the bores for wear. (Cylinder Tool require).
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Pull the top ring off, put it in the respective bore and measure end gap and free end gap and compare them to the spec in the manual.
                "To measure is to know"
                1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
                V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
                Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

+1
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Ahhh that makes total sense. Never troubleshot at this level. So it would prolly best to measure gaps. The reinstall and try leak test? That would be testing rings then cylinder basically. Do you have specs for the gap? Is it in the manual?

Also, as I worked myslef deeper and deeper, the smell of burnt oil got stronger and stronger. Does that mean anything? Lol
                    Last edited by maniac1886; 06-06-2015, 07:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Might want to find out where that piece of crap holding #1 open came from, and inspect the valve itself. Might not seal well if the valve/seat is knicked.
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

Comment

The max for free (uninstalled gap is 6.6 mm (0.26 inch) on the top ring
                        The standard for the top ring gap installed is 0.10 to 0.25 mm (0.004 to 0.010 inch)
                        The burnt oil smell is nothing to worry about IMHO, I got the same smell from mine and it was all fine.
                        1989 GSXF 750 Katana.
                        V&H supersport exhaust, ported head, GSXR cams
                        Michelin PR2's, RT fork springs and R6 shock

Comment

Thanks zookrick. Yes the Lil peice of metal appears to have been broken into 3 pieces. One piece exactly like the one shown was in the cylinder and there were two pieces wedged in the valve seat. Definitely metal. Almost looked like a retaining clip with the two pieces side by side.
                          Last edited by maniac1886; 06-07-2015, 03:23 PM.
                          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Got the valves and rockers out yesterday. Valve seats all look good. No valves appear to be bent so that's good. Good call shpielers on the head port. Didn't even cross my mind. Getting it done/assisting in doing it next weekend for a case of beer. While I'm over there, we are going to mic everything out, make sure its good then port/polish the head. I'll pick up some piston rings and hopefully the gasket kit. Next on the list will be to track down a set of cams. I'm thinking im gunna shoot for 1990 gsxr 1100/750 on both sides if I can find them. Pics to come later
                            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Pics, as promised...

Definitely gunna dip the pistons. They are gross. Can I dip the valves though? Does that work? lol It seems like a good idea, obviously they are going to be polished so all that shit needs to come off. Do I need to use more abrasion or more solvent to get the bulk off?

Also I plan on putting shift kit in it. I feel like before I go much further, I should flip it and pull the oil pan.... Make sure the dogs arent toast. I would hate to rape the top end of this thing into a beast, and not have second gear
                              Last edited by maniac1886; 06-12-2015, 09:09 PM.
                              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

1998 Katana 750
                                1992 Katana 1100
                                2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Working...
                                X