Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

My long running katana project (Black Betty)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks good so far

Comment

And it Begins...

Hmmm..... Leaky Caliper? Will investigate....

My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Well, im back at it. The past couple of weeks have been crazy. I just broke up with my girlfriend of 2 years +2 years prior on/off. I've been high on my new found freedom and havent spent alot of time in the garage. But I managed to get over to my dads and get this first damper drilled and brazed. I only did one because I dont completely remember how exactly it came apart. There are some washers that I dont know where they go. Anyway, its not looking like Im going to finish this before april. I am going to florida friday and there is much to do to prepare. Wont be back till April 6th. Anyway, heres the damper. (that was the whole point of this long winded post)

2007 GSXR 750

Comment

All ready to go back in. I need to get something to pound the seal down with, then I'll be able to measure and cut the preload spacer for final assembly. I'm hoping Thursday I can get the other damper brazed and drilled, if so, I can probably have it back together and the get the spacers cut Friday. Then it will wait till I get back to get assembled and installed.

Just so Im on the right page though, correct me if Im wrong but that sleeve slides into the damper with the openeing facing the open hole. Then the CE, no washer, spring, original washer, preload spacer, RT washer, Fork Cap. Sound about right?
          Last edited by maniac1886; 03-23-2015, 09:25 PM.
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Well ran into issues with the forks. I need a pair of rebound springs... Details and a picture HERE
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Oh and BTW, just got a bead on a oil cooled GSXR 1000 motor for $400. Am working out deals right now. With any luck, this puppy might just get a real power house dropped in it! Time will tell I suppose, I still got the 750 motor as well....
              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Well, the Gsxr motor turned out to be a 1980 Gs1000 motor so thats a no go. I still got that 750 motor though. But got the Kat all buttoned up over the weekend and wow what a difference. I should have rebuilt the forks FIRST. I didnt think it was that possible to make that much of a difference. Friday I was having some issues with bouncing and hanging idle. Saturday I tightened all the intake boot clamps and airbox boot clamps while the rubber was warm then synced the carbs and it seemed to fix the problem. The idle is actually better than its ever been after a thorough cleaning this winter. I adjusted and lubed the chain. I got a few blinker issues. At first only the left side worked. I took it apart and the contacts seemed clean. I put it all back together and 24 hours later they worked normal but I got a blown bulb on the right front, and the left blinker indicator is not lighting up.

Now, it really really really needs a paint job. Last summer I sanded it all down (or mostly at least) to the plastic. I got a couple of chunks of plastic from a CBR. Im going to spray paint and clear coat a piece and let it dry and see how the oven cleaner as paint remover works. Once I hammer out a way to get the paint off the plastics and get this extra tank re-coated I'd like to get it painted. Hopefully before summer is over even.
                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Havent been in this thread for a while. Been riding the 600 like crazy and tearing down the 750 in between rides.

Anyway, I've been really pushing this bike alot more in the twisties and its CRAZY how much better it handles! Goodbye chicken strips. lol

So last night I was out ridin around the city with the fellas and smoked a sink hole. Not like, a big pot hole, a michigan famous 18" hole in the road that Im pretty sure is so deep it's a direct route straight to hell. I was probably doing a good 50 or so mph when I hit it. Maybe 40. Mr. Harley man next to us kept shootin out of the red lights like he wanted some, so we walked him and then started slowing back down to the speed limit and thats where i met my new arch nemesis. The bike handled it well. No wobbles, rim looks good, tire wasnt flat, but the preload adjuster knob that it there pretty much for show since the rod is cut for the RT kit, blew off. It was quite an interesting experience. The mask was up, so out of nowhere, my mask was completely covered in oil, so was my face, nose and eyes. I had no idea what happened, as im scanning around looking for some type of water source, i reached up and touched my glass to rezalize i was covered in some type of oil and it wasnt motor oil. Still confused I start scanning my bike for hints and low and behold, I found the source, still squirting me in the face every bump i hit. Im glad the knob didnt hit me in the face. That kinda pressure.... Ouch..... Can you say black eye? Anyway, heres the pics.

So yah, moral of the story. If your going to take the time and spend the money to replace EVERYTHING in the forks with the racetech kit, buy new caps. Evidently, cutting the rod that holds them to the damper can in some case compromise the integrity of the damper adjuster know seal under HEAVY load.
                  2007 GSXR 750

Comment

So found myself right up the road from the evil sink hole that tried to eat my dear betty, figured it was worth photographing.

The way this picture was photographed I would have been coming from the right side, going left. If it were the other way.... Well.... It would probably be more than just a fork cap. (Thats not my helmet, its my passenger helmet... lol She brought it out there, mine was on my bike safely parked on the sidewalk.)
                    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Glad your OK. That's one hell of a hole I don't know how it works there but here in Ohio if your vehicle suffers damage due to road conditions like that the city or state has to pay for the damages.

Comment

That's not a pot hole......that's a man hole.... Holy crap..
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Lousy pavement here in the rust belt, can't do much sport riding at all.
                          I lived in Chicago for 18 years, incredibly bad there.
                          South of the frost line it gets much better. I hear Kentucky roads are fabulous for bikes.

Comment

Wow that looks like a sink hole in the road!

Comment

Yup... Coulda been bad. Real bad. After having gone and stood next to it and seen what the hell it was that I hit, I thank my lucky stars that both the bike, and I came out OK. And also thankful that some poor girl wasn't on the back that night.
                              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Well... Back for an update. Im trying real hard to muster up the motivation on this sunday afternoon to go out and work on the bike. I think the neck bearings are wore/damaged. Its real wobbley in the turns and the other night on the Eway we had the place to ourselves so we were doing 100+ and she was swaying pretty bad. Decided to park in until i get it fixed. Got a new speedo cable (motionpro of course), front and rear wheel bearings, and neck bearings to get swapped out today. I also have a slow leak in front tire, will be inspecting that while its off the bike.
                                2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                                X