Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

My long running katana project (Black Betty)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got my RaceTech stuff! Just waiting on my Bike Bandit order now...
    My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
    2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Well, as most of you know, I got my Race Tech stuff last week. I also have a bike bandit order coming (taking forever) and I picked up some mesh from home depot for $9.00. It comes in 27 in by 8 ft sheets so plenty enough to work with. I am still on the fence about it, but Im going to give it a shot anyway.

Home Depot Mesh Link (Found in the drywall section)
      Use this 27 in. x 8 ft. Steel Lath for both interior and exterior projects if you require an easily cut material that can conform to curved surfaces. Can be used as a plaster base and reinforcement on

Here's some pictures of it mocked up in just the big hole. Once I got started I realized that the pattern is directional so it added a whole 'nother question into the mix. do they go verticle, horizontal, or match the contour?

Before Paint:

After Paint (Excuse the shitty paint job please... lol)

What is your guy's opinion? Does this look good or does it look foolish?
      Last edited by maniac1886; 02-17-2015, 11:22 PM.
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Looks good, I do see a probable issue. The screen is a little flat, will it fit around the frame brace that passes through that area?
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Paint looks good. Personally, I'd tilt it a little less so that it's parellel to the bottom of the fairing cutout. You'll probably get 30 different opinions on that, but there's mine.

FYI when you get to the brazing for the damper rods, I found MAPP to work much better than straight propane. If you have supplemental oxygen, then the propane will likely be great. I didn't. I know others have used straight propane and it worked fine. I did one rod with each - much much easier with the MAPP.
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            Looks good, I do see a probable issue. The screen is a little flat, will it fit around the frame brace that passes through that area?
            Yes, I did not try it on the bike yet, i read that its a little tricky clearing the frame. This was just a pure mock up to see if i liked it. I have an 8 foot sheet of this stuff so I got plenty more for when I actually do it. When i do, Im going to try to round it as well as make is sit deeper in the hole. I saw a thread where a guy cut out a piece of wood to form the screen. I think im going to go that route.

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
            Paint looks good. Personally, I'd tilt it a little less so that it's parellel to the bottom of the fairing cutout. You'll probably get 30 different opinions on that, but there's mine.
            I'm not sure what exactly im going to do. I tried to make it parallel with the front angular line of the cutout. Its not perfect but I like it leaning forward. I feel like it gives it more of an aggressive look.

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
            FYI when you get to the brazing for the damper rods, I found MAPP to work much better than straight propane. If you have supplemental oxygen, then the propane will likely be great. I didn't. I know others have used straight propane and it worked fine. I did one rod with each - much much easier with the MAPP.
            LOVE MAPP GAS! lol

Thanks for the input!
            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Pulled some stuff off the bike in anticipation for the bikerbandit order. Pulled the controls and handlebars off. Pulled the caliper dust covers off. Brought the carbs in to warm up so I can clean them. Took the busted ass kickstand back off. Took the coils, cross members and oil hoses off cuz I really need to check the valves. I know they are going to be out of spec but I really dont want to deal with the headache of shim under bucket valves....

I really need to get this cherry picker back to my house. I wanna tear into these forks.... I never even thought of what a pain in the ass it's going to be to get the cherry picker in my garage door and through this 2 foot snow drift at the same time.

I cleaned my chain like a month ago with kerosene, i really need to grease it but it seems pointless when it's subzero outside. I've been keeping an eye on it, and there's no sign of oxidation so that a good thing.

Did I mention that I've been sitting out here staring at it, wishing I could just fucking ride the thing.... Come On April!!!

...and there she sits
              Last edited by maniac1886; 02-18-2015, 09:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Shim under bucket isn't hard at all just a little more time. Got it down to 45min+-. Parts are always an excitment.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                  Shim under bucket isn't hard at all just a little more time. Got it down to 45min+-. Parts are always an excitment.
                  yah but i dont wanna do math.... lol

Hell the adjustable ones are a grade A pain in the ass but i dont really have to do equations for those
                  2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Its harder the way my neighbor does it, he just keeps changing shims till he gets it I showed him the correct way, couple days later he sent a 6 pack over. He ended up doing a couple bikes in record time.... For him
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

Niiiice!

I think my kickstand is hosed

Last edited by maniac1886; 02-18-2015, 10:17 PM.
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Looks spread out....
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran

Comment

that and rounded the fuck off. I got it in bad condition, I always thought it was just supposed to flex but after further consideration.... and the mound of duct tape i had to put on the sensor finger (?) i have come to the conclusion that it is not only wopped way the eff out but also ground to a round corner. I got a new bolt, shim, nut and springs coming... Now I just need a good kickstand. Hey 92, I hear you got a garage full of parts.... whats up on a kickstand?

Thats 4 + how ever many years the PO rode it with a wopped out kickstand
                          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Not any more, used them on the 88' build. I have maybe a handful of parts that will see the dump. Not worth reusing. Except the post rear caliper.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

bummer... worth a shot though.
                              2007 GSXR 750

Comment

If I had it, you'd get it.
                                spammer police
                                USAF veteran

Comment

Working...
                                X