Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

My long running katana project (Black Betty)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maniac1886
    replied
    there were actually 3 that were stripped. i got 2 out with vice grips but the third was being blocked by the connecting rail. i sacrificed a torx bit. Hammered it in, grabbed the 8 pound hand sledge and used my "handy dandy" (thats what i call my hand held impact driver cuz, well, its a handy dandy item to have in your toolbox!!!) with some light taps and it came out ok. Big hammer/little taps > small hammer/hard hits, every time. Its all about inertia baby! Either way, they are open and I have some screws to replace. .... and a torx bit.

At first glance, I see rust deposits in the bowls (obviously) The jets are tarnished as they have been sitting dry for a while, gas lines are gone, they were cheap o clear tube from the hardware store. I plan to get reinforced fuel lines this year but I would really like clear lines as seeing gas flow helps troubleshooting on the side of the road. Ol betty hasnt let me down in a long time but i like to prepare for the worst. All the orings look pretty good except my dumb ass already lost one of the orings for the vacuum ports. Needles had some gunk on em, but it wiped right off. Im hoping the float bowl gaskets will be good still but in my experience, those go bad semi frequently with disassembly. There is black gunky rings around the butterflies on the intake side that need a good cleaning. All in All, not too bad.
    Last edited by maniac1886; 02-19-2015, 09:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• 92xjunker
    replied
    Vise grip the screw and twist it out. . Or cut a slot in the screw.

Leave a comment:

• maniac1886
    replied
    Got me a toothbrush, some fishing line, and some carb cleaner. Just tore into my carbs to give them a once over and of course... I got one stripped bowl screw. I now remember them getting wopped out and saying I'll worry about it next time.... Well its next time and I got a headache on my hands. Once I get this one out, I will be replacing all the screws.

Last edited by maniac1886; 02-19-2015, 08:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• maniac1886
    replied
    Haha this is true. I like color pictures better. Honestly, the only thing I really will need to reference are the equations...

Leave a comment:

• 92xjunker
    replied
    It's also in the manual.

Leave a comment:

• maniac1886
    replied
    Thanks Purp, it's been a long road... I've seen your write up. Very well written. In all honesty, I will probably refer back to it once I confirm my valves are in fact out of spec.

Leave a comment:

• Purplehaze
    replied
    Sure you've seen it before, but the chart I've mocked up in my How-to for Shim-Over-Bucket Valve Adjustment should help you keep track of those clearances as you set them.

Kat's looking pretty good there mate.
    Good reference for next time, too.

Leave a comment:

• maniac1886
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 92xjunker
    replied
    Put the neon on the trailor.

Leave a comment:

• maniac1886
    replied
    Indeed!! and a truck cuz i drive a neon.... lol

Leave a comment:

• 92xjunker
    replied
    Better get a big trailor for those road trips, you never know what your mood will be.

Leave a comment:

• maniac1886
    replied
    EXACTLY why I want one of each. If im feelin ballsy, its a gixxer night. Spirited cruising, Kat night. Road Trip, cruiser time!

Leave a comment:

• 92xjunker
    replied
    Sport bike = more power but, painful. Cruiser= good on the bones suck on power. KAT = nearly perfect balance.

Leave a comment:

• maniac1886
    replied
    I agree. Nothing will ever equate to my KAT but i want more power.... AND I want a cruiser. I pretty much want everything but a Harley... lol

Leave a comment:

• 92xjunker
    replied
    What ever bike you get in the future will never equal the KAT, it's just a prefect all around bike once the weak points are addressed.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X