X

petcock question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petcock question

hey was about to replace my petcock the OEM petcock at my local shop is 134.00$ and i found 1 on e bay for 64$ but its a tour max brand any body had a experiance with this brand? or should i just get OEM an bite the bullet.

Originally posted by ejc03katana View Post
    hey was about to replace my petcock the OEM petcock at my local shop is 134.00$ and i found 1 on e bay for 64$ but its a tour max brand any body had a experiance with this brand? or should i just get OEM an bite the bullet.
    Why are replacing the OEM one?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

possiable fuel starvation?

Comment

possiable fuel starvation?

There are repair kits for the OEM if it needs repair. I would suggest you verify it's the petcock first though.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i didn't think they made repair kits for post kat's?

Comment

i didn't think they made repair kits for post kat's?
            Repair kits for the 88-97 kats will work fine for the post kats. There just a single spring difference between the kits, and that spring almost never needs replaced anyways.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Comment

hey krey how would i verify the petcock needs replaced or rebuilt?

Comment

hey krey how would i verify the petcock needs replaced or rebuilt?

Simple test to start is check for the flow. Attack a vacuum line to the back of the petcock, apply suction, and crimp it. If the fuel flows when in the on position and keeps flowing at an appropriate rate... then it should be working.

If it appears the flow is limited or stops quickly, then I would open it up and clean it/inspect the parts. If the rubber oring or the diaphragm is damaged then rebuild is the way go.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

ok cool workin on it today got farther then we ever have befor checked for vacuum leaks around the boots from carbs to engine/cylinder heads no leaks there, also changed fuel filter and oil and plugs. put pilot screws to 3 turns from lightly seated. bike started an we got the choke about half way out backed off from full choke when it was warmed up if we tried to give it throttle is would die and not restart, so we let it cool down for about 20 min or so an i restarted it with no choke and it was fine could give it throttle until it was warmed up again then it started to bog down and die again so im gettin pissed and dont know what to do krey?

Comment

ok cool workin on it today got farther then we ever have befor checked for vacuum leaks around the boots from carbs to engine/cylinder heads no leaks there, also changed fuel filter and oil and plugs. put pilot screws to 3 turns from lightly seated. bike started an we got the choke about half way out backed off from full choke when it was warmed up if we tried to give it throttle is would die and not restart, so we let it cool down for about 20 min or so an i restarted it with no choke and it was fine could give it throttle until it was warmed up again then it started to bog down and die again so im gettin pissed and dont know what to do krey?
                    First thing I would do is check the oil for over fill or smells of fuel. If it does, pull and clean the carbs, verify they are no longer leaking on the bench before putting back on. Then change the oil.

Use a secondary fuel source for the carbs instead of the gas tank to rule the petcock immediately.

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Comment

were would i be cheaking for leaks on the carbs if fuel is gettin in the oil? an whats the best secondary source instead of fuel tank remote fuel bottle?

Comment

were would i be cheaking for leaks on the carbs if fuel is gettin in the oil? an whats the best secondary source instead of fuel tank remote fuel bottle?
                        If fuel is in the oil, then the carb bowls are over flowing. The most common spot for that to happen is because a float needle is allowing fuel past when the bowl is fuel. Fault needle, incorrect float heights, dirty carbs not allowing the needle to seal off, or bad O-rings around the seal of the seat the float needle sits in.

The simple check is to supply fuel to the carb while it's on the bench... no fuel should leak out of them. If it does, follow the fuel to the bad point.

Any free flowing fuel source would be fine. I have a couple of different bottles I use, just make sure they are gas safe.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Comment

so take the carbs off bench them and add fuel to the line and if they are leaking from anywhere fallow the leak? so the carbs shouldn't be leaking from anywhere from what ever fuel i add whike on the bench

hey krey now what i did notice when i took the carbs off yesterday to adjust the pilot screws that there was a little fuel in the boots from carbs to the engine in 3 of the 4 boots so is that mean the carbs are leaking i guess? and when i took the fuel tank off yesterday the petcock was on RES and the petcock was still leaking fuel so thats why i thought the petcock was bad?
                          Last edited by ejc03katana; 11-18-2013, 11:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

so take the carbs off bench them and add fuel to the line and if they are leaking from anywhere fallow the leak? so the carbs shouldn't be leaking from anywhere from what ever fuel i add whike on the bench

hey krey now what i did notice when i took the carbs off yesterday to adjust the pilot screws that there was a little fuel in the boots from carbs to the engine in 3 of the 4 boots so is that mean the carbs are leaking i guess? and when i took the fuel tank off yesterday the petcock was on RES and the petcock was still leaking fuel so thats why i thought the petcock was bad?

Do the bench test to confirm on the carbs. The fuel you saw could have just been unused from trying to start it or something. Your are understanding what I mean by bench testing though. They should not leak or flow fuel anywhere externally when on the bench and fuel is added via the fuel lines with the carbs upright as mounted on the bike. I suggest setting it up, give it some time... let it sit with fuel able to flow for a while, but keep an eye incase the flow becomes something serious. Putting them in a container that can catch the fuel if it does drip is a really good idea. Remember, no open flames!

Petcock; If fuel flows at all when on reserve or on with out vacuum added, there is an issue with the petcock. When I say fuel flows, that is after you have remove the fuel lines and wiped it dry. If it gets wet again, then it's leaking and you should disassemble and inspect/rebuild if necessary.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                            X