X

This is where the healing begins...YSR50 build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is where the healing begins...YSR50 build

Our dearly departed brother Breeze was a huge fan of the Yamaha YSR 50 as many of us know. He had a couple over the years, and raced them competitively at tracks in the southern OH/PA area.

photo courtesy of woobie

A few years back, dad(superbike) and I went to Columbus to meet Rob and other KR members at Iron Pony for one of the meet and greets Rob used to set up and graciously host. Well, rob brought his YSR on the trailer for everyone to check out. Dad fell in love with it, and Rob knew it. Here's the photographic proof of it...

Well, years go by, Rob ends up working a job putting in massive hours each week, finds time for friends and family, not so much for the YSR. Throw in a couple out of state moving ventures, job changes, illness, and life in general, and the YSR is sidelined for quite some time. Fast forward to a mere 6 weeks ago, May 31st, 2013. Rob lists the YSR for sale due to his illness. Within 45 minutes dad has a promise to buy it from Rob... http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=131013

So, dad and I venture to Columbus to help Rob get the 750 motor in his katana and pick up the YSR. We chat and have a great day bs'ing and wrenching with Rob and Tracy, pack up the YSR, hugs all around and head home. Little did we know it would be the last time we see Rob...all the while on the way home discussing what exactly we should do with the YSR. It's a race bike, showing some signs of wear and age as any race machine would. We decide a full blown teardown and rebuild/repaint is the best route to take. We even decide that a Kenny Roberts inspired paint job would look stellar on it, and when we proposed it in another thread here, even got Rob's endorsement on how kickass that would in fact look on the YSR.... http://katriders.com/vb/showpost.php...9&postcount=40

So, here we are today, all reeling in the grim fact that we have just lost our brother Rob to that vicious bitch of a disease called cancer. Just last night I had finished up sandblasting the frame for the YSR, and tonight I knew that even though working on a bike was furthest from my mind, leaving that frame bare would make it start to oxidize in a hurry. So, I mustered up the strength to go out to the garage and put etching primer on the frame of our friends former bike. Once I started, it was the most natural experience I have had painting in a while. I got centered, focused, and realized the true meaning of what I was doing at that moment.

Healing.

So, my friends, this is truly where the healing begins for me, hopefully dad, and possibly even for some of you as we venture on to make Rob's old bike new again, to honor his memory. It will take a while to do, because I know how bad I want it to be perfect, and I know how bad dad will want it to be perfect, and to be quite honest, it deserves no less. I'll get some pics uploaded here shortly of the frame blasted and in primer, and we shall go from there...

nice and bare

fresh etch primer, ready for a quick scuff then some 2K Urethane Primer/Sealer

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
    You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

I remember the little beast well.

And I remember I wasn’t too good at riding it either.

I am 100% sure Rob felt it went to the right home before he moved on.

Comment

I support the choice of paint scheme...

I would also financially chip in if you could set up an account...

I wanna see this bike in a condition Breeze would appreciate.

Great write-up!

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

I found this older thread (from 2007) that Rob started sometime back... http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=66689

From what I can tell, we have the "miss piglet" frame, engine, kawi fork and a reinforced swing arm. Also the fiberglass racing yellow body work and alloy wheels. In with the spare parts is another fork (stock ysr) and misc. other goodies.

Thanks for getting this thread started teddy!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by superbike; 07-03-2013, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Teddy, that's a great thread. I really look forward to seeing this when it's all done. I can see Rob smiling, his baby is getting a complete overhaul.

You and your dad look like the absolute perfect people to do it too. Not only is it a cool little bike, it means a lot to the both of you and all of us. I remember following Rob around during the photoshoot on that thing, he loved it!!!
          2007 Honda CBR600rr
          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
          sigpic

Comment

good stuff right there fellas.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Teddy ..... you and your dad will make Rob proud for sure !!!
              Guylaine
              Try and keep up now

Comment

Even I;m interested to see where this goes. I would also be interested in donating to the cause, if theere is a way.
                ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                Semper Fi

Comment

Tim was disappointed that Jim beat him to this bike, but I'm glad you guys have it. I think you will be able to do it up better than we would have.
                  Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

good karma all the way around.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

This is a beautiful thing.
                      -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                      sigpic

Comment

Folks, Jim and I had a long discussion on "help" for this project. Really Jim purchased this as a project before the events of yesterday as something to putter around with. Based on that, he doesn't really need any assistance finanically. However Tracy still will need help.

BUT based on the conversation I had with her, she's not quite sure how or when she will have access to Rob's paypal account. I'd like to funnel the resources to her, but at the current time I don't have a good way to make that happen and I want to make sure they get into her hands directly with as little or no fees attached.

If everyone can just hang on for a few days while we let the fog clear, that would be appreciated by everyone involved.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Your offers of largesse are heartfelt, please consider directing your help to Tracy, as Steve said.
                          Consider this, if you are ever in NW Ohio and have the need or desire to put your hands on, get your fingernails dirty and feel the love that permeates from this little bike, stop by, teddy and I will put a wrench in your hand, and you can become a part of it too.

Those of you that have raced, wrenched and just love to ride in general will understand how you become one with a machine. It's a beautiful thing, it's history, it's love, it's honoring the memory of a proud man who rode like the wind on it... Breeze.

Comment

I am the 'paint guy' at work, so I took it upon myself to mix some black for the frame this morning. Single stage gloss black...I mean B-L-A-C-K. Pure straight black toner and the necessary mix-ins to make it usable paint. No white, no yellow, no green, no blue like many 'factory' blacks have. Just black. Gloss will have better scratch and fade resistance than a standard chassis satin over time, plus it will look killer.

oh, btw...Monster isn't usually my drink of choice this early in the morning, but I didn't exactly sleep great last night...

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                            You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by Badfaerie View Post
                              Tim was disappointed that Jim beat him to this bike, but I'm glad you guys have it. I think you will be able to do it up better than we would have.
                              It's right where it is supposed to be...

Breeze tried a few times to get me to buy it prior, I just wasn't in a position to take on the project then. That's life's way of saying it's not meant to be here. And honestly this is turning out 10X cooler.

Excuse me for a moment, I think I got something in my eye...

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                              X