X

Crazycraven420's Daily Driver Build..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crazycraven420's Daily Driver Build..

So i wanted to start a thread about my bike and the changes ive made and make as i ride it as much as possible. During the non winter months i ride it just about every day commuting and for my enjoyment, winter has been a bit less but I still ride when I can.

I bought my 94 kat 600 in april of 2012 and it sat in my buddys garage (who i bought it from for $1,200) since i was working so much I never really jumped on the ball and got it going. It had 20k miles when i bought it and was very close to completely stock.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by crazycraven420; 03-30-2013, 01:03 AM.
    94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

In the fall (right before i joined KR) i finally lit a fire under my butt lol. I bought the battery it needed and my buddy had the new chain, sprockets and clutch pushrod and screw since it was parked for the chain breaking and taking out said pieces in its path. Once i put those parts on i had to clean the petcock and flushed the tank out to ensure their was no sediment and such. Got it running that day and a few days later had it on the road.

From there i rode it every day to and from work and everywhere else i could that gave me a reason to get on it . It wasnt until the motor went (a few months an 7k miles later) that i had any issues besides a few minor shorts in the electrical that were easily fixed. The bearing behind the front sprocket had gave out and sent balls into the bottom end (i have yet to tear that motor apart!). When that happened i was heart broken..its been a few years since i had a road bike and grew up on dirtbikes, quads and anything else that consumed fuel and produced fun! Between my wife and my brother in law seeing how upset i was they both made it possible for me to still be riding. My brother in law started contacting all his friends in search for a motor for me. Less than 2 days after it had been parked in his garage he found me a parts bike with 1,300 miles just missing plastics and gauges($150 for motor an exhaust then $75 shortly after for the rest). The following saturday we picked it up and started the motor swap. It was quite an emotional experience for me (as silly as it sounds lol) my wife (who knows nothing mechanical and doesnt desire to) was there helping with the swap as well as my brother in law obviously (since it was in his garage! haha) and my uncle an nephew also came to help and feed us adult beverages .
    Attached Files
    Last edited by crazycraven420; 03-30-2013, 01:10 AM.

Comment

looks good brother! keep up the good work, hope this things ready for riding soon!

Comment

Good luck with everything!
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Once i got it back together and started cruising home (45 minutes) i noticed something wasnt right in the rear end. I noticed the axle had shifted and the chain adjuster was forced into the swingarm a bit. Soo...back to the garage!

We replaced the chain adjuster that was bent and cleaned up any excess grease (D'OH!) and reset the wheel. I made it about 30 miles before i was limping it because the rear end was real wobbly. Once i got it apart and checked it out i realized i needed new bearings in the wheel (possibly from the bearing in the motor going and straining, me over greasing the axle an having it shift or both). Ordered the new bearings and replaced them then took it for a nice ride. Everything was great

A few days later when coming home from work i got caught in the snow and ended up riding 40+ miles thru heavy wind and dense snow fall. Before i could make it to the exit off the highway i started dropping cylinders..first one went out then a second started stumbling. By the time i hit the off ramp i was running on 2 cylinders. Parked it and got a ride home for the night. Mid morning the next day everything was dry and i got it home (barely) before the another cylinder dropped out causing it to die 100 yards from my house.

Next i started my search for 7mm copper core spark plug wire...had ZERO luck finding any local shops so i broke down and had a friend order me some off ebay. Got it a few days later and started fighting with the coil clips lol. I had my coils off the bike and in my house for about a week before i touched them. Being warm in my house didnt help lol. They came off pretty good as i took my time. Going back on was another story trying to apply enough pressure evenly but still be careful enough was no easy task for me lol now mind you i build model cars and other hobbies that require steady hands and small parts. After cursing up a storm and just about ordering new coils i decided to try and glue the one clip back together that shattered and save the other. I got them all back together after a night of drying and back on the bike. What a difference! New wires and my jerry rigged clips did quite well. This was accomplished this morning .

My next task is to take care of the hesitation between 4-5k rpm and HOPEFULLY get a new set of carbs with FP jetkit from Arsenic. My other vehicles have been quite jealous and decided to break down as well lol. So after $900 on my wifes jeep yesterday hopefully i can get money together for Arsenic .

In the near future i plan on swapping out my rear shock with the one off the parts bike and see if that helps..if not ill be searching for another rear shock or possibly having one rebuilt.

As for cosmetics im going to strip down my parts bike wheels and have them either powder coated or professionally painted and possibly the spare swingarm as well (i have friends that do both)..not sure yet. Then probably new bearings and rubber to go on them and mount em on my bike. Also been talking to my painter buddy about doing the whole bike over but that wont be til im sure that it is in ship shape everywhere else.

Heres a few more pics ive taken along the way of my mesh mod, fresh seat and some other times with my Kat...
          Attached Files

Comment

And a few more pics..
            Attached Files

Comment

Looking good
              2002 750 Kat
              2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
              2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
              2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
              1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
              2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by DonaldDuck91 View Post
                looks good brother! keep up the good work, hope this things ready for riding soon!
                Riding season is all year ive ridden quite a few times this winter, actually more than a few of my buddies rode all year : just put on hold here an there for repairs.

thanks fellas!

Comment

So after buying some LED's from 91_gsx600F katana an almost forgetting about them I took 5 minutes to put em in. I love em! Soo much better than stock!
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by crazycraven420; 03-05-2013, 11:16 PM. Reason: added pics

Comment

heres a video i just posted on my youtube acct of when i first got my bike running with the new motor...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZS90fVK7pA&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]94 Suzuki GSX600F Katana - YouTube[/ame]

and another once we got the plastics on and the rest buttoned up it was very rewarding lol...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmWwTGYE7zE&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Suzuki gsx600f katana vance and hines low rpm rev - YouTube[/ame]

and last but not least after i got it home i took another in my driveway ill never go back to the stock pipe!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOLjAaKVdWI"]Suzuki GSX600F Katana Vance and Hines 4-1 - YouTube[/ame]
                    Last edited by crazycraven420; 03-06-2013, 12:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I'm digging the mesh you put on. Nice job, looking good!
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

Comment

I need those leds.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                          I'm digging the mesh you put on. Nice job, looking good!
                          thanks man! I think the pre's look way better with that huge hole covered up a bit lol

Originally posted by Million$ View Post
                          I need those leds.
                          This is what I bought off of 91_gsx600F katana cuz he went with white. I love em, perfect brightness and color for me. I did have to take a razor and SLIGHTLY round the corners to fit so I didnt have to force them in too hard, but obviously he didnt have to.
                          Last edited by crazycraven420; 03-06-2013, 10:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Well since yesterday was so nice in my neck of the woods i decided to change the oil in my Kat. Once i got everything set up i then realized i had a lil issue...the drain plug wont come out with my Vance an Hines exhaust in the way (directly under it!) :/ bastards! lol Sooo what better time than now to repaint the exhaust right?

I took a ride to the parts store to get some paint (VHT high heat header paint) and some anti-seize for the header bolts. Now just as most of you can agree im sure...going to the parts store alone is like sending your wife into her favorite store with a brand new credit card hahaha there is always something you "need". So a few minutes later i had some header wrap (DEI brand, titanium, 15ftx2in), stainless straps (DEI brand) and a few other unrelated things at the cash register lol.

Once i got home i started cleaning and prepping the exhaust for paint (i had already taken my drill and wire wheel to the entire exhaust to remove rust, loose paint etc). Got the paint done and cured and then moved on to polishing the can and tip (with the polish i just bought ). With that done i moved on to the header wrap, i must say the only thing i dont like is the straps. They dont seem to get very tight (or as tight as i wanted).

Overall i love the look and it seems to have changed the tone a bit and carries it to the can better with less resonance around the bike. The wrap said it has a carbon fiber look (which it does in the package) but once its on the bike it doesnt really, IMO anyway. Either way i think it looks pretty kickass and im happy with it. I bought the exhaust used with my motor and parts bike so it already had a fair amount of surface rust which is why i opted to give it a good coat of paint first since its been said a few times the header wrap on bare metal will induce more corrosion and rust.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I like it!
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Working...
                              X