X

Back in time engine swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back in time engine swap

I know this is random i'm new to the forums. i have a 1999 katana 600cc with blown engine. i know i can bolt in the 1994 katana engine i found one for cheap. engine looks almost 100 percent the same and it's rebuilt. i want to know what mods would i need to do to make it work wiring and ecu wise. i think i would have to splice wires for the alternator but what else? also i have the carbs for the original 600 that was in the bike . can i use those carbs ? i have all of the original parts is it possible to swap the alternators starter etc? will it work for my ecu? thanxs!

Originally posted by Sinakatana600 View Post
    I know this is random i'm new to the forums. i have a 1999 katana 600cc with blown engine. i know i can bolt in the 1994 katana engine i found one for cheap. engine looks almost 100 percent the same and it's rebuilt. i want to know what mods would i need to do to make it work wiring and ecu wise. i think i would have to splice wires for the alternator but what else? also i have the carbs for the original 600 that was in the bike . can i use those carbs ? i have all of the original parts is it possible to swap the alternators starter etc? will it work for my ecu? thanxs!

Yes, it's a simple process. There are several threads on it. One or two plugs and connectors might be different, but for the most part it's a straight up swap.

I'd do some searching, someone else was just posting another full example of doing the swap and all the minor things they did to counter the diffrences they ran into.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks i was having trouble navigating the site lol i will try to find it thanxs again.

Comment

Originally posted by Sinakatana600 View Post

Its easier to swap the alternator out than to splice its connector harness.
        No need to swap the starters out.
        Yes, use your 99 carbs on the 94 engine and you're good to go.

hth

Comment

oh yeah "what else" you asked...
          I cant recall for sure, but you might also need to change out the connectors and extend the wires some for the ignition pickups and the oil pressure light. Just follow the color codes which do use the same colors for those leads.

Comment

Going from a 96 to an 02 engine I found 2 plugs that won't work, one being the alt anf the other is the spark pick up. As for what I did the alt just swaps out and you don't have to change anything. You also could just swap the other deal, but I did not.

As for the carbs, 600 to 600, 750 to 750, ect. I'm using my 96 carbs.

Comment

Working...
            X