X

My long term project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My long term project

Gonna be starting a kinda long term project on my bike probably tonight. First up extend the swingarm and lower it. Here are the before pictures. I'll try to keep my work documented with pics so stay tuned!

The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Well I didn't get as much done today as I would have liked. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day. All the tools I needed/wanted to use were locked up and the guy with the key took a day off. More progress tomorrow fingers crossed!

Comment

Some info you will want for removing the brake arm on the swinger...

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
        swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
        Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks Krey, after I get the fab work done I'm sure I'll need some help with a lot more LOL

Comment

Got some fab work done finally. Pics in the morning!

Comment

As promised, here are some pics of the work so far. That's a 1.25" piece of solid steel i used to make the extensions themselves with. There's 1.75" of the steel bar "inside" the stock tubing to give it some extra strength and to make an effort to take some of the pressure off the welds themselves. Altogether the extension ended up not being as long as I had imagined it but I'm sure it will still look good. Prepping and painting tonight then using it tomorrow to get some measurements on chain length, hose length and so on so I can start getting those ordered and sent here.

001 by thunderfoot1978, on Flickr

003 by thunderfoot1978, on Flickr

004 by thunderfoot1978, on Flickr

005 by thunderfoot1978, on Flickr

006 by thunderfoot1978, on Flickr
              Last edited by thunderfoot1978; 07-16-2012, 02:59 AM. Reason: added photos DOH!

Comment

Solid steel... wow. No kill like over kill...

FYI.... you could probably drill some holes or machine some cut outs to lighten it up with no problems if you wanted.

Be sure to check your wheel alignment before buttoning everything up. You can "adjust" slightly the arms as nessasary with ratchet strap and bottle jack if you need.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Solid steel... wow. No kill like over kill...

FYI.... you could probably drill some holes or machine some cut outs to lighten it up with no problems if you wanted.

Be sure to check your wheel alignment before buttoning everything up. You can "adjust" slightly the arms as nessasary with ratchet strap and bottle jack if you need.

Krey
                  Well this was the best fit for the existing swingarm that I could find. I couldn't find anything lighter that would fit snug enough around the outside of the stock or inside the stock that made me feel safe enough to try to put my own welding skills to the test LOL. That's why I shoved enough of the steel bar up in the stock arm to take the stress off of the individual welds. I think I got it welded back on there as square as i possibly could, I leveled it out, and kept a check on it with the builder's square. I'll check the one installed on my bike today to make sure the gap between the two arms is what it should be.

I love overkill Krey, LOL!

Primed and Painted!

Untitled by thunderfoot1978, on Flickr

Untitled by thunderfoot1978, on Flickr
                  Last edited by thunderfoot1978; 07-16-2012, 01:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Nice work on the arm

Comment

Working...
                    X