X

first time project Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time project Kat

Im starting my first ever project bike this week, and this is my first day on the forums. I will post as many pics as i am allowed to of my progress as i go and i would like to all you guys out there for tips and opinions on what im doing right and wrong with this bike.. right now im on step one.. figureing out what i need to get this bike running as in how to assemble it .. what wires connect where what bolts im missing.. if the engine is even good.. i have no idea how to check compression or piston lock on this thing

but here are some pics of what im starting off with

gl and hope it turns out well, as far as wiring there are diagrams under the service section of the forum
    never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
    Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
    confused katana build

Comment

awesome thanks lol im just sitting here staring at it just trying ti figure out what to take on first... the kid that sold it to me was like " yeah all it needs is an idle screw and it will run" im looking at this bike now... all the fuses are wrong in it or missing the cdi wasnt plugged in half the harness wasnt plugged in.... so much work.. and so little knowledge.

Comment

mind if I as how much you paid? also from the pics looks like your missing your airbox
        Last edited by blitz2190; 06-07-2012, 08:45 PM.
        never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

confused katana build

Comment

air box is on the ground next o it you can see it in the picture shot from the front, i traded about 800$ worth of home electronics for it .. i thought it would be a fun learning experience... i use to race rc cars and the owner of the local rc shop said " you shouldnt be allowed to own one if you cant fix it yourself" so i took that approach to this bike... before i really touch anything other then plugging in stuff that i know goes where it is i am lurking int he forums reading every post i can with my eager eyes.

Comment

Welcome good luck and dont forget to check our wiki all kinds of good stuff
            in there. The two biggest you'll want carbs 101 and the manual for your bike

Comment

not bad at all and thats defiantly one way to learn, this place is a wealth of knowledge and I second that reading carbs 101 and downloading the manual from the wiki

confused katana build

Comment

im using carb 101 right now to rebuild and clean the carbs.. they were almost completely wrong... like horribly .. one of the needles had a nut on the end of it to hold back the spring instead of a spacer.....

Comment

Good luck with your project, be sure you will find all info you need here on Katriders.
                  And keep posting pics, always interesting to follow a build.
                  2002 GSXF 750

Comment

a question to those who are looking at this and might know , i was re-assembling my carbs and according to the parts sheet on the blowup picture it shows the plastic washer that is large enough to be held against the spring is on the top of the needle over the e-clip. Is that how its supposed to be or am i just seeing it wrong? cause when i took apart this carb all the plastic spacers were under the e-clips

so far ive stripped down the carbs and cleaned them. not going to install them on the bike till i can find out if the engine is seized or not... i tried jumping the starter at the post it made a click noise and my wire got too hot to hold anyone know if there is a way i can see if the pistons are locked without using the starter? im worried i may be doing this work on a garbage bike...

lol also im taking extreeeeeeme pride in this project so i will be making notes of everything i have done. ive been one of those people that has failed at 60% of the things they go into be it my fault or crappy machinery
                    Last edited by therian12; 06-08-2012, 01:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

so i opened the side of the engine like .. iu think i should have... lost some oil... but i do have good compression... now i need to remove my spark plugs and make sure those are good and see if the engine makes complete revolutions.. this is alot more fun then i could have thought it would be ... except when i forget to put it in neutral and have it slam down on me..

Comment

wait how did you check compression without removing the plugs and no you shouldn't lose oil when doin a comp test, also if the carbs were in rough shape change the oil before trying to start it as it could be full of gas
                        Last edited by blitz2190; 06-08-2012, 05:49 AM.

confused katana build

Comment

Which wire got to hot to hold when trying to jump @ starter? Where on the side did open the motor and have oil come out and yes the washer should be on the top of the needle and no it should not be a nut.

Comment

lol i used the postitive post on the battery to the post on the starter, bypassing the starter relay . i removed the side plate on the right hand sie of the engine and turned the bolt there to move the pistons... i dont have the tools for a compression check all i know is when i turned it .. it moved but it started to resist like air was being trapped and when i released it it pushed back and hissed which means i need new rings maybe? iuno but when i was turning the engine manualy i forgot to put it into neutral and it went forward just enough to gain momentum and lose its kickstand... it fell over and oil went EVERYWHERE .. it was a fun clean up but that was time for bed for me.

okay well small update.. the starter is seized .. joy .. anyone know how to fix that without having to buy a 425$ replacement?

also anyone know where to either make or buy a headlight that will fit on this bike? they guy gave it to me with no headlight mount or headlight... or guages for that matter
                            Last edited by therian12; 06-08-2012, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Ebay for both is you best bet 89 gsxr should be the same parts as well gives you more to search for

confused katana build

Comment

Working...
                              X